Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]NO Boot from USB drive New Topic
paolo
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:4/9/2009 3:04:00 AM # 1
hi everybody,
I bought one week ago the Asus box 202 linux version here in italy, everything is fine with the product eccept I cannot boot any other OS then the one I have on the box (preinstalled xandros OS), I tried many times with Ubuntu and also with my Windows XP but no way to boot from USB memory or USB DVD everytime BIOS seams like cannot read any install dvd and usb key , my question is iss there any bios/hardware block to install different OS on the linux B202 BOX? is any other on the forum experiencing same problem

thanks in advance

Paolo

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
DrZ
Level :
Tech Points : 2133
Posted:4/9/2009 3:35:00 AM # 2

Quote:
Author: paolo Posted: 4/9/2009 3:04:00 AM

hi everybody,
I bought one week ago the Asus box 202 linux version here in italy, everything is fine with the product eccept I cannot boot any other OS then the one I have on the box (preinstalled xandros OS), I tried many times with Ubuntu and also with my Windows XP but no way to boot from USB memory or USB DVD everytime BIOS seams like cannot read any install dvd and usb key , my question is iss there any bios/hardware block to install different OS on the linux B202 BOX? is any other on the forum experiencing same problem

thanks in advance

Paolo

Paolo,
If the 202 is like all the other Asus netbooks, turn on the machine and repeatedly hit the F2 key until you get into the BIOS.  Read each section until you find the switch that is called Boot Booster.  That needs to be disabled.  After you change the setting to disabled, hit f10 and save.  Reboot again and hit the ESC key continuously until it comes up and asked what source you want to boot from.  You should see the hard drive, the disk drive, and your Usb flash drive.  Select the one you want and go from there.  After you have installed or whatever you want to do, make sure you go back into the BIOS and turn Boot Booster back on.  No reason to slow the start up time anymore than you have to.

Best Regards,
DrZ

Old Guy. EPc 1201N (Win 7, 4gB RAM). Panasonic toughbook with Windoze XP Pro and Suse Linux. Hand built Power machine with Quad core, 16gB memory, 2TB hard drive, Dual 1gB video Cards, Running XpPro and Unix. Research Engineer with close to 40 yrs experience working on and with computers....guess that makes me an old geek and if not a geek.... just cussed old!
paolo
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/9/2009 2:30:00 PM # 3
thanks for your answear DrZ , now Im almost sure there's something wrong in the unit just bought

this is my procedure I tried first with a bootable USB key and then with a brand new Samsung DVD (se-5084b)

* I set the "Forced FDD" mode for the USB stick/DVD player in the advanced USB settings in the BIOS
* I removed the harddisk from the boot list ( no booting Xandros all the time)
* I rebooted / f8(choose where to boot on B202)
* The system always displays  "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and select a key"

seems like the unit its not able to read boot sectors neither from usb and dvd , the same key/dvd are perfect working on other pc

no way to go on

I tried wit a dvd with Ubuntu and also with windows XP, could be possible some hardware problem?

in many years its the first time I see such a thing ....

DrZ
Level :
Tech Points : 2133
Posted:4/9/2009 8:37:00 PM # 4

Quote:
Author: paolo Posted: 4/9/2009 2:30:00 PM

thanks for your answear DrZ , now Im almost sure there's something wrong in the unit just bought

this is my procedure I tried first with a bootable USB key and then with a brand new Samsung DVD (se-5084b)

* I set the "Forced FDD" mode for the USB stick/DVD player in the advanced USB settings in the BIOS
* I removed the harddisk from the boot list ( no booting Xandros all the time)
* I rebooted / f8(choose where to boot on B202)
* The system always displays  "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and select a key"

seems like the unit its not able to read boot sectors neither from usb and dvd , the same key/dvd are perfect working on other pc

no way to go on

I tried wit a dvd with Ubuntu and also with windows XP, could be possible some hardware problem?

in many years its the first time I see such a thing ....
Paolo,
I have to agree there is something strange about the machine.  I have removed and installed various OS on my system using USB Flash as well as CD/DVD.  Perhaps your best bet is to take it back and get a replacement.  I see no other recourse.
Best Regards,
DrZ

Old Guy. EPc 1201N (Win 7, 4gB RAM). Panasonic toughbook with Windoze XP Pro and Suse Linux. Hand built Power machine with Quad core, 16gB memory, 2TB hard drive, Dual 1gB video Cards, Running XpPro and Unix. Research Engineer with close to 40 yrs experience working on and with computers....guess that makes me an old geek and if not a geek.... just cussed old!
paolo
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/10/2009 5:40:00 AM # 5
I guess I found the reason ... for a strange "reason/bug" seems not to be compatible with my just bought s Samsung DVD (se-5084b) neihter USB key ,trying different dvd player at the shop I was able to boot from another usb dvd player ... I really hope Asus will find the way to update their firmware seems like this happens only on new units b232  running linux on the old "eee BOX" no problem

my b232 is now  running XP really fast ... but what a hard job to do it  :-)

wicher
Level :
Posted:9/12/2010 1:12:00 AM # 6
Hi, what USB key would be compatible for booting the eee box B202? I'm having the same problem as described above. I changed the USB setting to "forced FDD" and changed the boot order, but no from USB with dane-elec USB key. P

:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.