ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Eee Family > Eee PC T91  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Feedback and Suggestion]T91 and Windows 7 New Topic
V
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:8/6/2009 8:20:00 AM # 1
As soon as i got the T91 i installed windows 7 rc and been using it since, compared to the xp platform it's been really awesome, however i did come up with a problem that would affect the line in the future. Assuming Asus would be releasing the netbook with windows 7 in the future,  Media Center has become deadweight to me because of it's refusal to accept the sd expander as a valid storage drive. Media Center can't add folders to browse off of "removable drives". Meaning even if i were to store all my pictures and music and videos off the ssd hd and on to the sd drive expander ( which would be the most natural course to keep as much ssd hd space as possible for programs ), it can't be used with media center. Just a little feedback, as a portable media device.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
DrZ
Level :
Tech Points : 2133
Posted:8/6/2009 9:59:00 PM # 2

Quote:
Author: V Posted: 8/6/2009 8:20:00 AM

As soon as i got the T91 i installed windows 7 rc and been using it since, compared to the xp platform it's been really awesome, however i did come up with a problem that would affect the line in the future. Assuming Asus would be releasing the netbook with windows 7 in the future,  Media Center has become deadweight to me because of it's refusal to accept the sd expander as a valid storage drive. Media Center can't add folders to browse off of "removable drives". Meaning even if i were to store all my pictures and music and videos off the ssd hd and on to the sd drive expander ( which would be the most natural course to keep as much ssd hd space as possible for programs ), it can't be used with media center. Just a little feedback, as a portable media device.

V,
Right click on the start button and then left click on explore.  Find your removable drive.  Do a single left Click on one of your music / video files which will hi-light it.  Then hold down the shift key and press end...which will select them all.  If you want to remove any from the list, you can press the Ctrl key and click on whatever file you want to remove from the list.  Then you should be able to right click on the group and left click on play on Windows Media Player.

I do this with a USB hard drive and using that technique might work with any other form of removable drive.

Let us know.
Best Regards,
DrZ

Old Guy. EPc 1201N (Win 7, 4gB RAM). Panasonic toughbook with Windoze XP Pro and Suse Linux. Hand built Power machine with Quad core, 16gB memory, 2TB hard drive, Dual 1gB video Cards, Running XpPro and Unix. Research Engineer with close to 40 yrs experience working on and with computers....guess that makes me an old geek and if not a geek.... just cussed old!
Gazza
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 3
Posted:8/12/2009 6:05:00 AM # 3

Quote:
Author: V Posted: 8/6/2009 8:20:00 AM

Wow how did you install Windows 7 in this....I had a go but could not due to space. It was asking for 9.1 GB of space due to the backup of Windows_old files

How does it go? Do you still have all of the Asus software and widgets running or did you ditch those

Cheers

parker
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 11
Posted:8/15/2009 4:47:00 AM # 4
"It was asking for 9.1 GB of space due to the backup of Windows_old files"
Thats the problem right there. copy all that you want onto another computer and clear as much as possible off of the T91 then try to install again. All the old files do is take up space until you delete them and then there is the issue of not always being able to get rid of the old files locked by xp before win7 install.
So just start the install and format the drive after you copy what you want to keep and it should work perfectly fine. Good luck

Madden
Level :
Posted:8/20/2009 5:50:00 PM # 5

Quote:
Author: parker Posted: 8/15/2009 4:47:00 AM

"It was asking for 9.1 GB of space due to the backup of Windows_old files"
Thats the problem right there. copy all that you want onto another computer and clear as much as possible off of the T91 then try to install again. All the old files do is take up space until you delete them and then there is the issue of not always being able to get rid of the old files locked by xp before win7 install.
So just start the install and format the drive after you copy what you want to keep and it should work perfectly fine. Good luck

Hi All,
Just received my T91 and am really not sure about it. I notice the processor is slow and the passive screen seems not ideal for writing/recognition. However, I really want it to work and so - is Win 7 the way to go?  Those of you who've done it, can you give any more detail of how it works with Win 7 (advantages / disadvantages?)
Secondly, would anyone give me a bit of an idiots guide to the process of loading Win 7 on it
(ie. attaching a standard USB CD/DVD drive / removing or formatting the disc before installing Win 7 or after / best version of Win 7 to install ) etc.

All help / Advice greatfully received:
Thanks

Gazza
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:8/20/2009 6:53:00 PM # 6

Hey Madden,
Adjust some of your settings on Xp.
Adjust your power options to 'Always on' and if you need to reduce power use the Super Hybrid software to help out.
It will not have any hit on battery life. You may as well have all the performance that you can get.
I had a go at Windows 7 and it's fine.
However if you want to go back you need the external dvd to restore back to factory

Windows 7 is better. However its not quiet as fast as xp .... just better more usable.
You can use the touchgate but you need to install it with xp compatablity . But the touch gate software doesn't really work as well...

Anyway its up to you.....but they are my observations.

But those power settings are pretty important.... Oh yes ... update the video driver direct from INTEL as the makes Youtube runreally well...

Cheers

Madden
Level :
Posted:8/20/2009 9:23:00 PM # 7

Quote:
Author: Gazza Posted: 8/20/2009 6:53:00 PM

Hey Madden,
Adjust some of your settings on Xp.
Adjust your power options to 'Always on' and if you need to reduce power use the Super Hybrid software to help out.
It will not have any hit on battery life. You may as well have all the performance that you can get.
I had a go at Windows 7 and it's fine.
However if you want to go back you need the external dvd to restore back to factory

Windows 7 is better. However its not quiet as fast as xp .... just better more usable.
You can use the touchgate but you need to install it with xp compatablity . But the touch gate software doesn't really work as well...

Anyway its up to you.....but they are my observations.

But those power settings are pretty important.... Oh yes ... update the video driver direct from INTEL as the makes Youtube runreally well...

Cheers

Hey Gazza,
Thanks for such a quick reply!
I'm quite keen to try Win7 with it.
Is the correct approach to make a back up (I haven't got any documents I want to keep on it etc) or simply do a format of the whole disc and then load Win  7 from an installation disc?  Will a simply USB drive be detected and work with the Bios?  I presume I don't need a back up as the external recovery disc will work to put it back to factory.
Which version of Win 7 would you recommend?

Thanks in advance. John

Gazza
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:8/21/2009 5:37:00 PM # 8
You can boot windows 7 from a usb pen drive. You need to format eg you will lose everything however. You need to adjust the boot devices in the bios .I beleive that the Ultimate is the only version on the Release canidate for Win7. The real advantage with 7 is right click functions with the pen and also great handwriting recognition as opposed to the one character at a time job in the Asus Xp verion. Some of the touchgate programs don't really work becaus that use directx9 rather than 10 and 11 which Win7 uses.
But if you can live withouthem,

Just beware you can only resotre back to factory with an external usb dvd writer with the T91 recover cd..

I'll be interested in what you think

Cheers

clarke
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:8/24/2009 10:49:00 PM # 9

Quote:
Author: Gazza Posted: 8/21/2009 5:37:00 PM

You can boot windows 7 from a usb pen drive. You need to format eg you will lose everything however. You need to adjust the boot devices in the bios .I beleive that the Ultimate is the only version on the Release canidate for Win7. The real advantage with 7 is right click functions with the pen and also great handwriting recognition as opposed to the one character at a time job in the Asus Xp verion. Some of the touchgate programs don't really work becaus that use directx9 rather than 10 and 11 which Win7 uses.
But if you can live withouthem,

Just beware you can only resotre back to factory with an external usb dvd writer with the T91 recover cd..

I'll be interested in what you think

Cheers

i wish people would try things before they just assume that methods work on every computer. the asust91 bios will NOT allow a bootable usb drive to start before the operating system. period. end of story. ALSO, deleting your entire computer to get the 9.1gigs to get WIN7 will NOT work either. Alittle correction: the bios will allow a net install to occur before the operating system loads but will not load a bootable cd key from a usb.

Gazza
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:8/25/2009 6:13:00 PM # 10
Clarke !!!!! Mate have you tried this.?????I have and it works fine. I'm trying to help ......perhaps a little tact and etiquette next time?

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.