ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Eee Family > Eee PC 901/XP  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]How to factory restore w/out recovery cd? New Topic
Asuan
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:3/18/2009 9:40:00 AM # 1
My 901 only came with a support dvd that reinstalls utilities and drivers. I need to restore it to the factory settings. Is that possible w/out the recovery cd? If not, is there any way I can get one? I've called customer support several times, but they don't seem too helpful. The connection is either too bad (tried from different lines), or we suddenly get cut off (or they hang up on me). It's pretty frustrating.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Stan
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 117
Posted:3/18/2009 10:15:00 AM # 2
The DVD has a ghost image that will restore the unit.  Look in your book and there will be instructions about how to use it.

JCossa
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 47
Posted:3/19/2009 2:07:00 AM # 3
On the recovery disk, you must have the 2 files: EEEPC1.gho and EEEPC2.gho.
You must be able to boot from that disk as well and restore the computer to its factory settings.

The smiling lion with a white EeePC 901/Windows7 (2Gb Ram,64GB SaberTooth SS SSD and 32Gb SDHC SanDisk ExtremeIII card).
Grumpy Old Squid
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 4
Posted:3/19/2009 5:33:00 AM # 4
Have you tried to do a reset with the "F9" option? 

Start the machine and tap on the "F9" key until you see that you are in reset mode. 

Follow the on screen instructions and you should be able to reset the machine to a "just-out-of-the-box" condition.

Unfortunately you will loose anything you have saved or changes you have have made but the machine should be ready for you to start all over again. 

Good luck.

Grumpy Old Squid "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him keep step to music which he hears, however measured or far away." by Henry David Thoreau
Asuan
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:3/19/2009 6:27:00 AM # 5
Thank you everyone for replying. I did try Stan's suggestion, but it wouldn't go to the reboot window.
I finally had to call support again, thankfully the person I spoke with was very helpful. We found that it wouldn't boot from the disk and he told me to to the bios. This was earlier in the day and having a busy work day has made me forget the details. But, it ended up I had to press F2 and then F8.
Basically, it wasn't cut and dried. In the end, it worked and I was able to restore my 901 to its factory settings. If I ever have to do it again, I know I won't remember and will probably have to call support again.

And I actually had tried the F9 option, but nothing happened.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.