Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Eee Family > Eee PC 901/XP  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Problem with FN key New Topic
Josie
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:12/18/2008 10:34:00 PM # 1

I've been having a problem with my Eee PC for the last two days. The FN key is permanently on. Functions in blue are working without me pressing the FN key, and the keys with the numbers on (O, K, L etc.) are not working at all.

I've seen people speak of this problem where the NUMlock is on, but these letters are not even displaying the numbers when pressed, they're just not typing anything at all (aside from the P key, which is displaying a *)

I've tried removing the FN key and cleaning it, but I've only had the laptop for a week and it was already perfectly clean and is still not working.

I'm completely stuck as to what to do now, nothing I try seems to make any difference.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
JCossa
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 47
Posted:12/18/2008 11:24:00 PM # 2
It looks like a mechanical fault. The cable (ribbon) connecting the keyboard to the mother board is not pushed enough in the socket. This is a major dismantling of the computer. As it is under warranty !!!!

The smiling lion with a white EeePC 901/Windows7 (2Gb Ram,64GB SaberTooth SS SSD and 32Gb SDHC SanDisk ExtremeIII card).
alexmarques
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:1/27/2009 9:11:00 PM # 3
I'm having exactly the same problem. Can anybody help us.

Samija
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 4
Posted:1/28/2009 6:04:00 AM # 4
It is a somewhat tricky thing to remove the keyboard, un-clip the ribbon cable, and then put it properly back into place. But it is not a warranty-breaking fix, as the warranty seal is underneath the keyboard and you do not need to harm that to do the task.

With a sharp but not too hard pick of some kind (you don't want to damage the plastic surrounding your keyboard, so use something about the same hardness as that plastic or a bit softer - a sharpened bread bag clip for example, or perhaps a plastic butter knife) to gently pry loose the three clip points along the keyboard top. This is fussy work, as when you get the first (left or right side, as you prefer) clip free then move along to the middle one, the first one tries to jump back in. These are located along the top edge of the F key row, with the left-side one being about 2.5cm from the left edge of the Esc key, the middle one being right-of-centre above the F6 key, and the right-side one being above the space between F12 and Pause/Break. Anyway, very carefully pry with a sharp-ish tip as though you were trying to lift the outer case over the keyboard. Or put another way, press straight down, then pull the handle of your prying tool towards yourself, the tip going away. This should push the small plastic retaining clip off the metal edge of the keyboard, which is a tray under the keys.

Once you have these three clips all loose the keyboard's upper edge will be easily lifted. DON'T GO NUTS LIFTING IT! There is very little room to pull the ribbon cable, and it is very fragile! Peek underneath at the touchpad-edge and see what's there. The ribbon connector is close by. The manner in which the clip is removed should be fairly obvious, but for this I'll defer to jkkmobile's site where he shows this quite clearly in his video on adding a touchscreen, or various other tutorials involving dismantling of the Eee.
http://jkkmobile.blogspot.com/2008/07/how-to-adding-touch-panel-to-asus-eee.html
Or you could probably find pictures of that clip with descriptions of how to un-clip it and how to re-insert the cable properly in various forum postings on EeeUser Forums. Hope this helps.

----------------

Posting this answer reminded me that I had wanted to use the aluminum foil shim trick to improve my keyboard response on the 901, so I've now done that. 10 carefully folded layers of 'heavy duty' Reynolds brand kitchen aluminum foil, 3" x 8" with a couple of small cut-outs for the ribbon connector and the little hole beside that, inserted under the keyboard... works a dream. Very firm feeling typing now compared to the bouncy feeling originally, and often missed or duplicate letters especially nearer the middle of the keyboard. Very nice.

Anyway, the point of this edit is to further clarify removal of the keyboard. The upper 3 tabs are not very easy to pop loose, and it was trash about using a softer thing to do it. I tried with a plastic pick designed for separating notebook case parts, but the end of it was quickly chewed up badly. Tried a bamboo skewer, but that snapped off. So I used a small slot-type screwdriver, slightly denting the plastic above the clips, but making an easier job of it. I also found that pulling back towards myself on the Esc key helped a lot in getting started.

The ribbon connector itself is loosened by inserting a point (the same small screwdriver for me) into the side of the little brown clip and pressing towards the screen, once on either side of the connector. It slides forward about 2mm, and releases the cable. Just remember how it looked, and when you go to put it back into place, be careful to get it above the off-white part and perfectly centred and straight. Should work quite easily, with a finger inserted sideways beneath the keyboard and pressing towards yourself at the ribbon cable's fold. There is room to lift the keyboard comfortably, without straining the cable too much, about the width of a finger or a bit more.

If interested in the foil trick, that is documented very clearly in an EeeUser forum post.

mcghej
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:11/27/2010 11:22:00 PM # 5
I've had this problem twice. I find that it's not related to keyboard connection. I'm under the impression that it's a windows update issue. You don't need to take apart your EEEPC, you don't have to fiddle with the cables. All you have to do is move back to a previous recovery point. If you move it back to a recover point 2 or 3 days prior (or when you know that it was last working properly), your FN key will turn off again. I've done this both times my netbook has updated and it's fixed it both times. As this is fixed by rolling back the software, to me that means that it isn't a physical problem, but an issue with the Microsoft security update patch.

tatra2003
Level :
Posted:6/11/2014 3:53:00 PM # 6
You can fix this by just hitting once Fn+NumLK keys.

Medina
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/25/2014 10:45:00 AM # 7
NO GENIUS! It is not the NumLk Key, is the whole Fn>All of the function keys are not working properly, it activates the options in blue, the keys for esdf do not work, they act like the arrows, the u, i, o, p, work as numbers when I activate the NumLk and do not do anything when I deactivate the NumLk.>Space bar is not working!!! that is not supposed to happen when you just activate the NumLk huh?>I have already tried System Restore, it didn't work either. I am tired of searching all of the internet and everybody is just telling me to deactivate the NumLk, is not the NumLk, it is the FUNCTION KEY which is permanently active!!!>I need some help!

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.