ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Eee Family > Eee PC 900HD/XP  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]will not boot past bios screen New Topic
Shirk
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:1/12/2010 5:52:00 AM # 1
Hello all,my son's new netbook will not boot past the bios screen,you can access the bios and make any changes you wish but it will not boot to windows.I removed the hard drive and installed it in his sisters netbook which is identical it boots fine and runs solid no issue.Is the bios corrupted some how ?Also I do not have an external dvd drive to run the disc ,what can I do to solve this issue ?

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
.....____ /l ,[____], l---L []lllllll[]- ()_) ()_)----)_)
Lightner
Level :
Posted:1/12/2010 2:08:00 PM # 2
I am experiencing the exact same problem with a customer's EeePC. I hope someone has a solution for this.

I have confirmed that the HDD functions perfectly. I have plugged it in via USB into two different computers using an adapter, and even plugged it into my main computer. It works FINE.

However, one I plug it into the EeePC, the machine will NOT boot. It won't even go to POST! I was freaking out for half an hour thinking I'd broken the damned thing! Please tell me this is some sort of manufacturing defect so that I can relay that to my customer and have it sent back to the factory. This thing is only two months new.

JCossa
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 47
Posted:1/13/2010 5:18:00 PM # 3
Have you check that the BIOS boot 1st from the hard disk? disable the other bootable option to force it. Otherwise it is a faulty motherboard.

The smiling lion with a white EeePC 901/Windows7 (2Gb Ram,64GB SaberTooth SS SSD and 32Gb SDHC SanDisk ExtremeIII card).
Lightner
Level :
Posted:1/13/2010 11:58:00 PM # 4
Yes. It will now POST with the harddrive in--and BIOS sees the harddrive. The first boot device is set as the hitachi hdd. .. Unfortunately, it still refuses to boot.

Shirk
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:1/16/2010 3:28:00 AM # 5
Kinda glad that I am not alone with this issue ,but at the same time I am sorry you are experiencing problems,I even went and purchased an external dvd usb drive and as soon as you turn it on most of the time it freezes at the bios screen.When it does go to the boot selection screen and I selct boot from dvd,it starts installing the OS (which is xp) gets to where it says it is installing the windows executive files and freezes about half way through,every time .I tried calling ASUS tech helpline and was waiting for someone to pick up for over 45 minutes my phone literally went dead .Tried another phone and again waited 24 minutes ,I just couldnt wait anymore,sent an email detailing the issue and hopefully Ill get some reply soon .I have confidence in ASUS ,I have built desktop PC's over the years with their mother boards and they are still in operation .

Shirk
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:1/16/2010 3:30:00 AM # 6
Oh and I forgot to add,"boot booster" is not even a selection in the bios anymore ........ what happened ?

Mikey
Level :
Posted:1/17/2010 1:56:00 PM # 7
I just received 2 from a client today, an Asus model 1005HAB, along with a HP mini 110.  The Asus has Win XP Home SP3 and the HP has Windows 7.  I loaded AVG and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware last week for her on both computers.  She had the computers for 4 days, and both would not boot up.  They both stopped after POST with a black screen.  I tried to boot both into safe mode and it would lock up while loading .dll files. 

I removed the battery on both computers and pressed the power button for one minute, replaced the battery and powered on both computers.  The HP powered on and loaded without any problem.  I disabled the power saver options and so far have not had any problems.  The Asus still would not load windows.  I ran the restore on it and have also disabled the power saver options, and so far it works. 

I have seen issues in the past with other computers that are similar, and disabling the the power options seem to work in most cases.  I would assume a later BIOS update will fix this, as it does seem to happen when the computer goes into a standby mode. Typically, I do not see this when the computer is shut down thru Windows Start>Turn off computer>Turn off.

Both of these computers were purchased in December 2009.  They were christmas presents for the clients children. 

I would always recommend backing up important data to an external or flash drive immediately, especially on the netbooks. 

Shirk
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:1/18/2010 12:51:00 AM # 8
How would I disable the power saver options if the computer will not boot past the bios?I installed and tried every bios asus has to offer for this netbook and it still does the same thing.

Mikey
Level :
Posted:1/18/2010 3:39:00 AM # 9
Unfortunately, the only way I was able to even get the computer to boot to windows was to run the restore option by pressing F9 when powering up and running the ghost program preloaded on the drive. It will erase all your data.  You may be able to remove your drive and attach it as a slave drive on another computer to pull data off the drive before running the restore.  After you do the restore, you can load the data you saved back to the computer. 

Hope this helps.  For me, running restore is always the last option. Sometimes you have to do it. 

Shirk
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:1/20/2010 11:30:00 PM # 10
F9 does nothing screen freezes at an all-black screen .

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: HHC New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.