ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Eee Family > Eee PC 900HA/XP  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]How to get internal webcam working with Windows 7? New Topic
DrZ
Level :
Tech Points : 2133
Posted:4/1/2009 11:15:00 PM # 1
Morning,
I have installed Windows 7 as a test.  Everything seems to work fairly well EXCEPT for the webcam.  After doing some research, I have found the cam is made by PixArt imaging but, of course, they do not provide drivers for ANYTHING. 

Has anyone made any inroads on getting this to work?  It isn't really a biggie but I like everything to work.

By the way....if you have not checked out Windows 7...do it.  Basically, it is Vista with the more aggravating features either ripped out or having a way to control them.  The only thing you have to load, other than the cam drivers, is the hardwired lan drivers but you can get them from Atheros easily.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.
DrZ

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Old Guy. EPc 1201N (Win 7, 4gB RAM). Panasonic toughbook with Windoze XP Pro and Suse Linux. Hand built Power machine with Quad core, 16gB memory, 2TB hard drive, Dual 1gB video Cards, Running XpPro and Unix. Research Engineer with close to 40 yrs experience working on and with computers....guess that makes me an old geek and if not a geek.... just cussed old!
tcady
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:4/1/2009 11:30:00 PM # 2
DrZ

I just bought a refurb 900A on Woot.com a few weeks ago and I am tired of wasting time trying to figure out  how to do stuff on Linux.

I would love to install Win 7 on my 900A - do I just go buy it at Best Buy or online and install it -  are the 900A specs sufficient to install Wiindows? I guess I need to buy an external CD drive to install it from? Or can I connect the Eee PC to my regular laptop and install things from it's CD drive? Or can I copy a CD to a 4 GB SD card and install things from that?

I am just trying to figure out some of the best basic tips on how to do things with my Eee PC.

Like I plugged a webcam into it via USB and  Skype doesnt recognize it, in Diagnostics the PC shows it plugged in the USB but when I click the WebCam icon nothing happens. No app opens. No I did not install anything for it. On my other Laptop it is plug n play and I don't know how to get things to work in Linux.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also I keep getting a reminder to install updates but I want to turn tha toff. It happens ever 2 minutes but I do not ever want to install them, as it fills up my small HD and the PC freezes! I plan to install more when i can but have not yet....

thanks
Tiffany

DrZ
Level :
Tech Points : 2133
Posted:4/2/2009 12:02:00 AM # 3

Quote:
Author: tcady Posted: 4/1/2009 11:30:00 PM

DrZ

I just bought a refurb 900A on Woot.com a few weeks ago and I am tired of wasting time trying to figure out  how to do stuff on Linux.

I would love to install Win 7 on my 900A - do I just go buy it at Best Buy or online and install it -  are the 900A specs sufficient to install Wiindows? I guess I need to buy an external CD drive to install it from? Or can I connect the Eee PC to my regular laptop and install things from it's CD drive? Or can I copy a CD to a 4 GB SD card and install things from that?

I am just trying to figure out some of the best basic tips on how to do things with my Eee PC.

Like I plugged a webcam into it via USB and  Skype doesnt recognize it, in Diagnostics the PC shows it plugged in the USB but when I click the WebCam icon nothing happens. No app opens. No I did not install anything for it. On my other Laptop it is plug n play and I don't know how to get things to work in Linux.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also I keep getting a reminder to install updates but I want to turn tha toff. It happens ever 2 minutes but I do not ever want to install them, as it fills up my small HD and the PC freezes! I plan to install more when i can but have not yet....

thanks
Tiffany

Tiffany,
First off, Windows 7 is in beta only so I would wait until you can get a full blown version to install.  As far as windows, you can load XP or Vista on your 900A by copying a version to a flash drive.  You can do this by taking your or any CD/DVD containing XP or Vista and then doing, from dos, xcopy /e d:*.* e:  This is assuming your cd/dvd is the d drive and your flash drive is e.  You need to do some reading to ensure you make your flash drive bootable.  After that, you will only need to plug in your flash drive and reboot.  During the reboot sequence, continuously hit the esc key.  When it asks you what you want to boot from, move the highlighted item to your usb drive.  You should start XP or Vista loading. 
Keep in mind, XP and Vista will take over about half of your available 8gB flash but it should run well.
Something you might want to do is to do a google search for some of the linux distros that were specifically written for the 900A.  Most of those have EVERYTHING running, including the webcam, and you will not have virus issues since people don't tend to write garbage for them.

Good luck and I will keep an eye on this thread.  I will be happy to assist if I can.
Best Regards,
DrZ

Old Guy. EPc 1201N (Win 7, 4gB RAM). Panasonic toughbook with Windoze XP Pro and Suse Linux. Hand built Power machine with Quad core, 16gB memory, 2TB hard drive, Dual 1gB video Cards, Running XpPro and Unix. Research Engineer with close to 40 yrs experience working on and with computers....guess that makes me an old geek and if not a geek.... just cussed old!
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.