ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Eee Family > Eee PC 900A/Linux  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Boot order in BIOS New Topic
Canard blanc
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:6/2/2009 3:56:00 PM # 1
Will this netbook boot from a USB pen drive?

If not, is there a way to access the boot order in the BIOS?

Hope I am not  sounding like a Windows user!! ;-)

Would like to use Linux Mint.

A download to create a bootable USB pen drive is available.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Gerrard
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 82
Posted:6/2/2009 5:59:00 PM # 2
Firstly, when booting, you can tapping the <F2> key to enter the BIOS setting. 
Secondly,  in the Boot tab, you can go into Boot Device Priority and set Removable Dev as the 1st Boot Device. Meanwhile, you may disable the Boot Booster in Boot tab.
Hope helpful.

Canard blanc
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:6/3/2009 12:08:00 AM # 3
Thank you, Gerrard!!

Will give that a whirl...

mouse
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:6/25/2009 9:50:00 PM # 4
I talked to tech support because I was having the same problem.  I have two eeePC900A/Linux.  One came with 512MB RAM and 8GB SSD and the other came with 1GB RAM and 4GB SSD.  The 512MB unit I gave to my mom because she wanted to use it.  That one I can press escape and get the boot loader option.  The 1GB unit I have is white and I don't get that screen.  I talked to Tech Support and they are saying they don't recommend booting from USB and that on this machine even though its in the Bios, don't recommend and won't do anything about it.  Instead they want you to buy an external CD-ROM drive and use that instead.

ronlitton
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:10/12/2009 8:26:00 AM # 5
Gerrard, sorry, I don't understand your comment "Secondly, etc.".  Do you mean to run "msconfig" and then change the Boot.INI file?  by Removable Devise, do you mean the rdisk(0) in the Boot.ini file?  If not, what do you mean when you say the "boot tab"?

I have an ASUS Eee PC, model 1005HAB, and cannot boot from a flash drive, and also cannot boot from an external CD/DVD drive.  Since I want to try Ubuntu Linux, I need to be able to boot from these removable drives.  Thanks for your help.

Ron Litton
ronlitton@starband.net

Gerrard
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 82
Posted:10/12/2009 4:14:00 PM # 6

Quote:
Author: ronlitton Posted: 10/12/2009 8:26:00 AM

Gerrard, sorry, I don't understand your comment "Secondly, etc.".  Do you mean to run "msconfig" and then change the Boot.INI file?  by Removable Devise, do you mean the rdisk(0) in the Boot.ini file?  If not, what do you mean when you say the "boot tab"?

I have an ASUS Eee PC, model 1005HAB, and cannot boot from a flash drive, and also cannot boot from an external CD/DVD drive.  Since I want to try Ubuntu Linux, I need to be able to boot from these removable drives.  Thanks for your help.

Ron Litton
ronlitton@starband.net

I think you misunderstood my meaning.
The second operation is still in the BIOS settings and you don't need to change any files.
You can press <F2> to enter the BIOS setting screen. And use arrow key to move the highlight.
Here is a simple instruction.
Boot-->Boot Device Priority-->1st Boot Device-->Removable Dev-->F10 to save the configuration.
Once the changes are saved you shall be able to recover the Operating System and boot from a USB device.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: HHC New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.