ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Eee Family > Eee PC 900/XP  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Why does my netbook run so slow New Topic
Ro
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:5/13/2009 1:59:00 AM # 1
Can someone help me please.

I just recently bought the EeePC900XP and wonder if it is supposed to be that slow?  Takes forever to move to each screen, as open up anything.  Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any advice.

Ro

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
DrZ
Level :
Tech Points : 2133
Posted:5/13/2009 2:15:00 AM # 2

Quote:
Author: Ro Posted: 5/13/2009 1:59:00 AM

Can someone help me please.

I just recently bought the EeePC900XP and wonder if it is supposed to be that slow?  Takes forever to move to each screen, as open up anything.  Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any advice.

Ro

Ro,
Are you running on the battery or power block?  If on battery, the Eee pc has something called a super hybrid engine that will slow down your processor to give you longer battery life. 

If you want to see if that is the issue, pass your cursor over each item on the tray on the lower right side until one says Super Hybrid Engine.  Right click on it and change it to super performance and see if that improves your speed overall.  Your battery life will not last as long but it should speed things up substantially.

Please let us know.

Best Regards,
DrZ

Old Guy. EPc 1201N (Win 7, 4gB RAM). Panasonic toughbook with Windoze XP Pro and Suse Linux. Hand built Power machine with Quad core, 16gB memory, 2TB hard drive, Dual 1gB video Cards, Running XpPro and Unix. Research Engineer with close to 40 yrs experience working on and with computers....guess that makes me an old geek and if not a geek.... just cussed old!
Ro
Level :
Posted:5/13/2009 3:52:00 AM # 3
No, actually I am running it plugged in.  Could the problem be theantivirus I purchased and downloaded?

DrZ
Level :
Tech Points : 2133
Posted:5/13/2009 4:33:00 AM # 4

Quote:
Author: Ro Posted: 5/13/2009 3:52:00 AM

No, actually I am running it plugged in.  Could the problem be theantivirus I purchased and downloaded?

Ro,
When it is running so slow, right click on the taskbar and open your task manager.  Click on processes and then click on the CPU tab.  This will move the biggest offender up to the top.  Do that a few times and see what is eating up the machine.

AntiVirus routines are horrible drains on the system.  BUT.... you can't run without one.  I don't know which one you have but.... Norton and McAfee are pretty bad and CA is the worst!  If you want to see if it makes a difference, go into your control panel...and remove whatever you have running.  Download AVG free and install that.  I don't have it do the daily scan which helps.  See if your machine speeds up.  You can find the download location by googling avg free.

Let us know if it helped.

Best Regards,
DrZ

Old Guy. EPc 1201N (Win 7, 4gB RAM). Panasonic toughbook with Windoze XP Pro and Suse Linux. Hand built Power machine with Quad core, 16gB memory, 2TB hard drive, Dual 1gB video Cards, Running XpPro and Unix. Research Engineer with close to 40 yrs experience working on and with computers....guess that makes me an old geek and if not a geek.... just cussed old!
X-LinKsYs
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 63
Posted:5/15/2009 8:34:00 AM # 5

Quote:
Author: Ro Posted: 5/13/2009 3:52:00 AM

probable

had the same problem before and updated my anti virus... You can try checking the task bar as what DR. Z posted or you can try to have your computer reformatted... Where you installing a lot of programs on your computer? You can try to free some space or download "CCleaner" for the registry(really helps)

im using avira (free anti virus) on my netbook and works perfectly as long as you update it daily...

hoe thuis helps!
ciao

networking GeeK
koholic
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 7
Posted:5/18/2009 12:03:00 AM # 6
Super Hybrid Engine??
I have a Eee PC 900XP.  I have no icon for this.  Are these different versions of the PC?

Hazelwood
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:5/27/2009 6:52:00 AM # 7
if i do not have the super hybrid engine icon in the system tray how else can i find it.

Collins
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:6/1/2009 12:23:00 PM # 8

I have the same problems since I got this thing. Mostly it sits in a closet and I take it out to show other real estate agents when we discuss these mini's. I decided to either get this thing working as advertised or pawn it off.

The overall performance is horrible. The battery discharges over 50% overnight (with a full charge to start), and lasts only an hour or so when fully charged. So, as for being protable, it it not an option. Easy to work?, it is rendered useless if you can't take it anywhere. I have no idea why ASUS even let this pass muster for sale. I have tried to update the bios, but cant get the screen to display what it says. and it is not user friendly to know which updates to get, as the website is vague on updates and even the bios update page lists none for this model. When I click on the ASUS power mgt program, it justs flashes a performance icon for 2 secs and dissappears. (It looks like a little clock)  No utilitiy opens up, just a displayed item saying Max performance or something like that. I might not be doing something right, but my pocket pc runs at least 5 times faster with windows mobile, and its 1/4 th the size. I would appreciate ANY help I can get. I see that others in this forum are using these like laptops and seem to be getting MUCH more out of it than I am. BTW, Thanks for you time. I have EEEpc900, winXP, 2GB ram, 16gb ssd, 8GB free space.

Eeepc 900 winXP 16GBssd 2GBram
Joe
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 8
Posted:4/14/2010 12:46:00 AM # 9
I totally agree with you Collins. One micro second faster than stop. Asus should be embarassed to have let this go to market. They should volunteer a recall. I've tried using the hard drive for more memory, set indexing and caching (spl?) Next I will try avg free so I can turn off Norton. Last try at downloading avg it was 10 min., then nothing. I stare at a green light and when it flashes, god it's doing something! probably the system unusual heart beat.

Joe

Joe
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 8
Posted:5/7/2010 3:10:00 AM # 10

Quote:
Author: Joe Posted: 4/14/2010 12:46:00 AM

I totally agree with you Collins. One micro second faster than stop. Asus should be embarassed to have let this go to market. They should volunteer a recall. I've tried using the hard drive for more memory, set indexing and caching (spl?) Next I will try avg free so I can turn off Norton. Last try at downloading avg it was 10 min., then nothing. I stare at a green light and when it flashes, god it's doing something! probably the system unusual heart beat.

Joe

After finally installing AVG antivirus the machine did a noticable increased in pace.
Seems the longer I run the machine the slower it gets now. Maybe some of my activity builds in memory and starts choaking the bus way.

Joe

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: HHC New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.