Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Eee Family > Eee PC 701SD/Linux  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]EEEpc 701SD/Linux Conversion to XP New Topic
littlems
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:2/10/2009 11:07:00 PM # 1
Hi My head teacher recently bought 8 EEE Pc's for school and a piece of software (dragon) for our dyslexic children. But, for those who don't know, Dragon will not install on Linux.

So i have been given the task of converting them to XP. Sounds simple enough.......

HOWEVER the installation has ground to a halt as it will not accept the XP product key we have in school. 

Any Polite Suggestions would be gratefully recieved

Many thanks for your help.

Sian

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
jdoyle
Level :
Tech Points : 1074
Posted:2/10/2009 11:40:00 PM # 2

Quote:
Author: littlems Posted: 2/10/2009 11:07:00 PM

HOWEVER the installation has ground to a halt as it will not accept the XP product key we have in school. 

First. You will need 8 different product keys.
Microsoft's EULA permits only one license per key. That means you can use the key for only ONE computer.

The reason the key is not accepted, is that the key does not match the PID of the install disc.
Microsoft uses different PIDs for each version, and for each build, of Windows.
There are OEM and retail, XP Pro and XP Home, and several different builds of each.

Screenshot of PID

JD

White 900A Linux 1.6 Atom, 1GB RAM, 32GB Patriot SSD, Full KDE
stephenson
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:7/9/2009 5:26:00 PM # 3
I'm about to do the same exercise. I have Dragon Naturally speaking v9 and i want to install Windows Vista on my Eeee PC 701/SD so that I can run the voice recognition application on it. Can you tell me if you were successful and if so how did you do it.

Nancy B
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 8
Posted:7/11/2009 4:23:00 AM # 4

Quote:
Author: stephenson Posted: 7/9/2009 5:26:00 PM

I'm about to do the same exercise. I have Dragon Naturally speaking v9 and i want to install Windows Vista on my Eeee PC 701/SD so that I can run the voice recognition application on it. Can you tell me if you were successful and if so how did you do it.

I'd be really curious to hear if that netbook can run Vista... I'd be really surprised, actually.

Vista Be Gone 2 Towers Sony Vaio FW Asus eee 1005HAB
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.