ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Eee Family > Eee PC 4G/Linux  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]WIN XP SP3 Sound problem New Topic
piuwiu
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:3/21/2008 6:43:00 PM # 1
Hello.

I`m new to this forum and i didn`t find solution for this problem in other threads.

I`ve installed Win XP with SP3 integrated and i have no sound in my Asus EEE .
Somehow I think there is problem in SP3 and I didn` tried with other versions of
Win yet. In device manager - there is allways some unrecognized PCI device and
no drivers (automatic and manual) is not good enough for it.

I tried to download Microsoft UUA HD (SP32646) and installed it at first then
tryed to install driver - there is no help.

If i want to instal k888111 sp it says that this is not the right sp for this version.

If anybody has solution please if you can help me with hole procedure.

Thank you very much.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
jantigger2
Level :
Posted:11/10/2008 9:25:00 AM # 2

Hello,

I spent several hours searching the internet for a solution to this problem and here is what worked for me:

My issue:  No sound when playing videos in Internet Explorer 7 using Windows XP SP3 with the ASUS P5N-E SLI 650i motherboard using the onboard sound (Realtek).  I was able to hear sound playing MP3s using Winamp and videos in the VLC media player.  However, this fix might also work for other types of sound issues with XP SP3 and this motherboard.

As of this writing (November 2008), Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) does not support the Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) driver for High Definition Audio devices, which is required for the sound to work properly.  Try this to fix the problem:

1) In Control Panel / System / Hardware tab / Device Manager under Sound, Video & Game controllers, disable then uninstall the Realtek High Definition Audio device (and/or the unknown device, if there is one).
2) In Device Manager under System, disable then uninstall the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio entry. (Do not re-boot yet.)
3) In Control Panel / Add/Remove Programs, uninstall the Realtek High Definition Audio Driver (you may just have a folder that says Realtek).
4) Reboot the PC.
5) Install the Realtek audio drivers then reboot again.
6) Download a patched version of the Microsoft UAA for SP3 here:

http://www.dashken.net/index.php?/archives/254-Windows-XP-SP3-RC-v3264-Does-NOT-Support-High-Definition-Audio.html

Download the file from this link:

Fix for KB888111 for Windows XP SP3 RC v3264 (Mirror)

--> filename: Universal_Audio_Architecture_High_Definition_Audio_AddOn_1.0.zip

--> unzip to folder: Universal_Audio_Architecture_High_Definition_Audio_AddOn_1.0

Navigate to that folder and run hdashcut.exe - it may appear to do nothing but wait for a minute and then check Control Panel / System / Hardware tab / Device Manager under System.  If you see "Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio" listed there, it worked.  Reboot the PC again.

ALTERNATE SOLUTION TO REPLACE STEP 6 ABOVE:

1) Download the Microsoft UAA patch for Windows XP SP2 : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888111
2) Start menu / Run... / regedit (opens the registry editor) and navigate to :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows
3) On the right side of the window, double-click on CSDVersion.
4) Change the value data from 300 to 200 (this makes XP think it is running SP2 instead of SP3).  Close the registry editor then reboot the PC.
5) Install the Microsoft UAA Patch you downloaded in step 1.
6) Repeat steps 2 and 3 to access the registry editor, then change the CSDVersion value data from 200 back to 300.
7) Close the registry editor then reboot the PC.

Jim
Level :
Posted:12/4/2008 11:08:00 AM # 3
I found the following:

1) In Control Panel / System / Hardware tab / Device Manager under Sound, Video & Game controllers, disable then uninstall the Realtek High Definition Audio device (and/or the unknown device, if there is one).
2) In Device Manager under System, disable then uninstall the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio entry. (Do not re-boot
yet.)
3) In Control Panel / Add/Remove Programs, uninstall the Realtek High Definition Audio Driver (you may just have a folder that says
Realtek).
4) Reboot the PC. The Microsoft UAA will auto-detect and re-install.
5) Install the Realtek audio drivers then reboot again.

That's all that was required to get audio running for me. I did not have to proceed any further. i.e. when the system shut down after the Realtek drivers were installed I heard the standard windows close down tones and when booted again got the windows startup tones so I left well enough alone.

6) Download a patched version of the Microsoft UAA for SP3 here:
http://www.dashken.net/index.php?/archives/254-Windows-XP-SP3-RC-v3264-Does-NOT-Support-High-Definition-Audio.html

--> filename: Universal_Audio_Architecture_High_Definition_Audio_AddOn_1.0.zip
--> unzip to folder: Universal_Audio_Architecture_High_Definition_Audio_AddOn_1.0

Navigate to that folder and run hdashcut.exe - it may appear to do nothing but wait for a minute and then check Control Panel / System /
Hardware tab / Device Manager under System.  If you see "Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio" listed there, it worked.
Reboot the PC again.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.