ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Eee Family > Eee PC 2G Surf/Linux  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]install cnr from Eee free software New Topic
trotline
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 3
Posted:12/12/2008 10:39:00 AM # 1
I try to install software from eeedownload.asus.com by clicking install button.

I get the Open with or Save dialogue box.

What next?

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
trotline
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:12/13/2008 1:22:00 AM # 2
I want to add I have read all other threads, updated my programs and OS, gone to cnr.com and learned as much as I can.

Admittedly I am a Windows guy but have enough Linux experience to find my way around.I simply can not find a way to "Click and Run".

I am advanced in computer software skills so I must be missing something simple.

Help.

Johnston
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:12/13/2008 2:30:00 AM # 3
No, seriously, I don't have a clue what is going on with that page. Somebody very stupid is working as ASUS. The page says "one click and install!" or something similar. But it simply doesn't work.

trotline
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:12/13/2008 5:42:00 AM # 4
It hasn't been 24 hours yet. I am suprised I am the first to try it.

The CNR.com site say the Asus is automatically configured and does not offer to install the module that runs the .CNR files.

There are no instructions. Just an Install button. Click it and you go to Open File or Save File.

Open does not have a file association for the .CNR extension and every program I have tried is not the right program to open it.

It appears to me Asus has negelected to complete the task of intergrating the .CNR programs to the 4GSurf.

Of course this is not acceptable since I paid for that feature. I expect someone official to jump in this thread soon so I won't have to escalate this.

I just want to run the free CNR software.

trotline
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:12/13/2008 11:10:00 AM # 5
This thread is listed in the Elite Posts.
Older 2 4g's can't use CNR software.
From ASUS:

"Note that to use EEE Download, you must have an EEE 900 or 1000 series system (yes, this does include the older EEE 900 as well as the 901/904, etc) EEE download will not work on the older 2G, 4G and 8G models - this service requires the 1.6 release (or higher) of Xandros, which is not installed or offered via updates on the older EEEs."

kristi
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:12/15/2008 12:07:00 AM # 6
I have an Asus 2G, and programs that came preinstalled will no longer launch.  I tried using the Asus download site and had the same problems with the .cnr files.  If this site is not set up to allow 2G users to download, where can I go to get new install files for the programs that will not launch?  I guess I have the same question about downloading any new programs, as well.

Tux Paint in particular refuses to run.  This is my daughter's favorite program, and we have tons of art saved here.  I need to restore this ASAP.

I am new to Linux.  I would appreciate any suggestions!

Kristi

Xcallibor
Level :
Posted:1/11/2009 5:42:00 AM # 7
I also have the same problem as Kristi. Im also using a 2G surf. I am still new to linux. Thanx for the infor and I seriously hope linux will look into this and try to address as soon as possible.

My suggestion is to come up with a download option devoted to 2G, 4G and 8G versions of the Eee PC. They can have developers tone down the applications or modify them for lower versions of Xandros. It can be done!!

701 2G surf, Pearl white, Using Nokia 6230 serial cable connection. Vodacom
Barrie
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:1/11/2009 7:47:00 PM # 8
Its no use telling Asus what to do via this Forum - they don't monitor it (officially). If you need to download software without eeedownload, you have to use either apt-get or synaptic. Check out http://forum.eeeuser.com and look at the wiki.

Barrie

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.