ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Eee Family > Eee PC 1201N  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Can't use System Recovery with F9 key New Topic
Beshears
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:1/27/2010 10:09:00 AM # 1
I'm trying to use the System Recovery function mentioned in the manual to restore the 1201N to factory configuration because I need to return it. I've tried several times to get to System Recovery by pressing F9 during bootup but I never get to it. Instead I see the Windows boot menu. I have turned off Boot Booster in the BIOS but this does not help. Can anyone help me with accessing the System Recovery function? Thanks!

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
DrZ
Level :
Tech Points : 2133
Posted:1/27/2010 10:17:00 AM # 2

Quote:
Author: Beshears Posted: 1/27/2010 10:09:00 AM

I'm trying to use the System Recovery function mentioned in the manual to restore the 1201N to factory configuration because I need to return it. I've tried several times to get to System Recovery by pressing F9 during bootup but I never get to it. Instead I see the Windows boot menu. I have turned off Boot Booster in the BIOS but this does not help. Can anyone help me with accessing the System Recovery function? Thanks!

Shut down your machine.  Press the power button and immediately start TAPPING the F9 key.  If it still does not see the F9 key... then shut down the machine again.  Press the power button and immediately start tapping the F2 key to go into your BIOS.  Arrow to the boot page of the BIOS and down arrow to boot booster and press enter.  Select disable and press enter.  Press F10 to save BIOS changes and your machine will start to reboot again.  Immediately start tapping the F9 key as before.  It should come up with your recovery menu.

Let us know.
Best Regards,
DrZ

Old Guy. EPc 1201N (Win 7, 4gB RAM). Panasonic toughbook with Windoze XP Pro and Suse Linux. Hand built Power machine with Quad core, 16gB memory, 2TB hard drive, Dual 1gB video Cards, Running XpPro and Unix. Research Engineer with close to 40 yrs experience working on and with computers....guess that makes me an old geek and if not a geek.... just cussed old!
Beshears
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:1/27/2010 10:23:00 AM # 3
Thanks DrZ, will try and advise.

drc77
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 55
Posted:1/27/2010 3:58:00 PM # 4

Quote:

Did you by chance reformat the HD during your brief tenure with the 1201N?

If you installed 64-bit OS, something silly like that, and didn't choose to install the OS on the active partition and instead reformatted the HD and *then* installed things over a clean HD, *you will not **HAVE** an F9 partition anymore*...you will have wiped it out.

If that is the problem, you still have hope...remember that System Recovery Disk that came with the computer? Use that instead to bring it to OEM factory settings once again. If you don't know how to do that with an external optical drive, or if you don't have an external optical drive, please post back here and we'll figure something out!

Asus UL30Vt-X1 - 160GB Intel X25-M SSD - 8GB Samsung 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM - Win7/64 - G73SW-3DE full 3D notebook-120Hz LG 17.3" matte finish Backlit LED/LCD, Full 3D HD Video/Sound 1920x1080P-HDMI, USB 3.0, 3x USB 2.0, SuperMulti Card Reader; 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD boot HD, 500GB 7200RPM Seagate XT HD; Intel N-6300 Ultimate "N" 2.4/5.8Ghz WiFi; Sony Optiarc 5730S BluRay Writer (6X x 6X x 40X; 16GB Corsair 1333Mhz RAM; Win 7 64-bit Ultimate; Broadcomm BlueTooth; nVidia 460M 1.5GB DDR5 Video Card--the finest equipped NB I've ever built up, like WOW, Baby!
Beshears
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:1/28/2010 1:22:00 AM # 5
Well, it turned out to be a case of operator error...I was pushing F9 and seeing the "Windows is loading files" dialog start, and thought that the system was going on into Windows 7. I would turn off power before it finished and did not realize that it was indeed loading the system recovery. I tried again today and when I let it go ahead with loading, it did show "Windows is loading files" and then brought up the recovery screen. Guess I should have been more patient... Thanks for the advice. Great community here!

DrZ
Level :
Tech Points : 2133
Posted:1/28/2010 1:51:00 AM # 6
Been there...done that....got and threw away the T-Shirt. 

Please stay around to learn and to assist others.

Best Regards,
DrZ

Old Guy. EPc 1201N (Win 7, 4gB RAM). Panasonic toughbook with Windoze XP Pro and Suse Linux. Hand built Power machine with Quad core, 16gB memory, 2TB hard drive, Dual 1gB video Cards, Running XpPro and Unix. Research Engineer with close to 40 yrs experience working on and with computers....guess that makes me an old geek and if not a geek.... just cussed old!
MacGregor
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:9/29/2010 11:01:00 PM # 7
Sorry if this is the wrong forum, please advise of correct one.

Upon initial startup of my new eeePC 1015PED netbook, I mistakenly clicked "German" in the first screen for language.  Setup will not let me go back to choose a different language.  The rest of the setup instructions are (surprise!) in German.  I'm stuck.

Should I stumble my way through the rest of startup?  I understand Windows 7 Starter will not allow me to change the language.

Should I do a system restore from F9?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Tommy
Level :
Posted:4/22/2011 12:28:00 PM # 8

Quote:
Author: drc77 Posted: 1/27/2010 3:58:00 PM

Quote:

Did you by chance reformat the HD during your brief tenure with the 1201N?

If you installed 64-bit OS, something silly like that, and didn't choose to install the OS on the active partition and instead reformatted the HD and *then* installed things over a clean HD, *you will not **HAVE** an F9 partition anymore*...you will have wiped it out.

If that is the problem, you still have hope...remember that System Recovery Disk that came with the computer? Use that instead to bring it to OEM factory settings once again. If you don't know how to do that with an external optical drive, or if you don't have an external optical drive, please post back here and we'll figure something out!

Hi I have an Asus 1201n and I tried to upgrade to Ultimate still 32bit, but I think it was a virus I do not have an external cd tray but I do have the disk provided. I turned off the bootbooster and still get no option. I think the recovery partition got deleted. How do I use the disk without a disk tray? Thanks!!! PLEASE HELP!!

Jenny
Level :
Posted:5/2/2011 11:57:00 AM # 9
I have an eee PC 1000HE which has been stricken quite ill with a particularly nasty virus. So, I'm attempting to restore to factory defaults. I have disabled the Boot Booster in the F2 Setup Menu. I also have disabled quiet boot. So when I press F9, I am getting visual feedback that it is beginning the Restore process. However, what happens next is that it begins Windows. And I log in with my name. And it's just plain old normal windows. I have checked, and it appears that the PE partition is still intact. Is there any reason why the restore fails to load the restore program?

Gatt
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:6/12/2011 10:33:00 PM # 10

Hi!

I have this issue at the moment... I have formatted my hardrive previously and need to re-install windows but can not reach the recovery page.

The recovery disk only came in USB format (no disk drives on the R101)... can I change the bios setting to install the external disk first amd then change back?

I am in Sth America right now and there are no service locations nearby.

Pls Help!!!

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: HHC New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.