SEARCH
ASUS Member ID
Password
Forgot password?
Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Eee Family > Eee PC 1201N  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Sharing]Instructions for Installing 64-bit Windows 7 Via Bootable USB Flash Drive New Topic
micca
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:1/25/2010 11:03:00 AM # 1
Here's a guide for installing the 64-bit version of Windows 7 in place of the pre-installed 32-bit version. The Windows 7 key that came with your 1201n will definitely work for officially registering the 64-bit install, but you'll need to run through the automated telephone registration process in order to have the key activated. I suggest you read through all of the steps below before you begin the install in order to give yourself an overview of the process and to review the possible problems you may encounter. If you're still pondering about whether or not to pull the trigger on the 32 to 64-bit upgrade, I say go for it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1. Create or obtain a version of a Windows 7 64-bit ISO. It can be downloaded from Digital River: http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msvista/pub/X15-65733/X15-65733.iso

2. Create a bootable Windows 7 64-bit installer by using the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool: http://store.microsoft.com/Help/ISO-Tool

Please note: I attempted to create a bootable USB flash drive using a 32-bit Vista PC and received the bootsect error as noted in the Troubleshooting section on the Microsoft Store site. The fix indicated on the site requires you to have purchased Windows from the Microsoft Store, which I'm sure none of us have done. I researched this and it sounds like many people are running into this problem while using this tool. I was able to locate a useable bootsect.exe file in order to get around the issue. If you're in the same scenario as I was (using a 32-bit OS to create a 64-bit bootable drive), I suggest you perform the workaround with the bootsect.exe file BEFORE you attempt to create the bootable drive. The reason being is that the error doesn't appear until the very end of the process and the process can take some time to complete.

Follow these instructions for getting around the bootsect error:

a. Download and install the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool program as indicated on the Microsoft Store web site.

b. Download a working 32-bit version of bootsect.exe. I've provided the file I used @ the following link. You'll need to change the extension of this file from .txt to .exe: http://www.toobigforemail.com/cryptkeeper.toobig?nppmkc2=afff&6cq_kc2=xagx8&6cq_konmpb=11zzyxyzgxxgayyg

c. Once downloaded, copy the BootSect.exe file to the same folder that includes the installed Windows7-USB-DVD-Download-Tool.exe file. The default install directory of that file in Windows Vista is C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Apps\Windows 7 USB DVD Download Tool\

d. Run the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool application as indicated on the Microsoft Store web site. The end result will give you a bootable USB flash drive that contains everything you need to install the 64-bit version of Windows 7.

3. Update the 1201n BIOS in order to disable Boot Booster and to change the Boot Device Priority.

a. Turn on the 1201n and immediately keep hitting the F2 key in order to boot to the BIOS menu. Once in the BIOS, go to the Boot menu.

b. Change the Boot Booster setting from Enabled to Disabled.

c. I think there should be a total of two Boot Device settings to change, but I'm writing this up after I performed the 64-bit install and I now only see one setting to change. I originally changed only one of the 2 Boot Device options and was unable to boot to the USB flash drive, so I'm pretty sure both need to be updated in order for it to work. Change the Boot Device Priority setting so that the 1st Boot Device is Removable Dev. I believe the other menu was called something like Boot Device Drive. Also change that one so the 1st Boot Device is Removable Dev.

d. Hit the F10 key to save the modified BIOS settings. The 1201n will then continue to boot up. If all goes well from this point forward, this will be the final time your PC boots to a 32-bit OS.

4. Shut down the PC.

5. Plug the bootable USB flash drive into one of the USB ports. Any of the 3 should suffice, but for reference, I used the one on the left.

6. Turn on the PC. It will boot from the USB drive and start the 64-bit installation process. You'll be prompted for which drive to use for the install. I think a total of 4 drive volumes will appear. Select the 1st volume, which should be labeled as System. Continue through the installation process as needed. The PC will need to reboot itself a couple of times during this process, so you want to make sure you take the USB drive out of the PC during the 1st shutdown/startup. (Of course, make sure the PC is entirely OFF before you take out the flash drive!) If you do happen to leave the drive in there, no worries, but just make sure you cancel the Windows install screen when it opens in order to force another reboot or you'll need to wait for it to run through all of the initial install steps again.

7. Let the PC automatically complete the install process and you'll eventually be taken to the initial Windows 7 setup screen (username, PC name, etc). Once done, you'll find yourself on the desktop of a fresh and extremely clean 64-bit Windows 7 OS! It's now time to update and/or install any needed drivers. Here are a few that you'll definitely need:

a. ION Chipset Driver (fixes Coprocessor issue in Device Manager): http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_vista_win7_64bit_ion_15.51.html

b. Hotkey Service: ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/EeePC/Utility/HotkeyService-V1_15.zip

c. Touchpad drivers, etc: go to http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us and search for 1201n in the search box on the left. This will link you to a page that has many of the needed drivers and BIOS updates for the 1201n. Install the touchpad drivers in order to avoid errors during startup. Install any/all other drivers as needed.

d. You may also find drivers on each device manufacturer's web site (EG - remaining up-to-date ION drivers @ nvidia.com, etc). I noticed that my Windows Experience score for the Primary hard disk component dropped down to 3.3 for some reason, but after I installed some driver updates and refreshed the Windows Experience Index, it went back up to a 5.9. I'm unsure why it dropped in the 1st place and I don't know what rectified the problem.

8. Eventually run another reboot and head back into the BIOS in order to turn Boot Booster back on and to flip the 1st Boot Device Priority back to SATA.

9. One final step is to activate your new version of Windows 7. Follow the on-screen steps to use the automated telephone registration process. It takes about as long as it says on the phone recording (~6 minutes).

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
drc77
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 55
Posted:1/25/2010 1:13:00 PM # 2
Good God! You can't be kidding, are you or not? Why in the world would you have to go through all that just to install 64-bit Windows OS on this computer? I did no such thing, just used an external USB optical drive and it took less than 2 hours to do the whole deal, and get updated with all of the official addendums necessary in 64-bit OS...after doing some magic that is...but nothing like this exercise you suggest here.

I have not gone into it for this forum, but my 1201N is dual-boot now, with both 64-bit OS and 32-bit OS on the 320GB HD...yes, it's possible to do...a bit complex, but it can be done. There's some magic to do with Partition Manager Personal 10.x that involves hiding the inactive partition during installation of 64-bit OS, a partition needs to be made of course for 64-bit OS, etc...but none of this stuff that you are suggesting in your unbelievable tutorial here! I say dispense with all of that and just invest in an external optical drive, not just for this computer but for general purposes, just to have one for its overall utility with any computer...then you do not have to go through all that you are indicating is necessary with a USB flash drive.

You know that by doing this that you lose a lot of software capabilities, ie all of the Asus programs are NOT available in 64-bit format, AFAIK. Arksoft Theatre 3 and the codec for upscaling videos, SuperHybridEngine Control, all of the Asus tricks and treats for this model are not available in 64-bit OS form. You just lose it all, and for what?

1) You cannot support 8GB RAM with 64-bit OS; the limit is 4GB RAM and 3.25GB available for the OS. That's it!

2) You cannot address many 64-bit programs and processes because the Atom N330 CPU does not qualify for many specific complex programs, it just isn't fast enough overall for most engineering, and creative arts programs. It may "work", but in what time frame...maybe tomorrow? Hah-Hah! I am sorry, but it is abysmally slow versus say, my Core i7 920 based OEM computer that runs @ 4210Mhz, has 12GB of RAM, 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate OS, a RAID system internal, and another external RAID 5 for media, 8TB of storage, etc  etc!

3) There is no noticeable speed increase, or capability of the computer to be more useful overall...with 64-bit OS installed. It's still a little netbook/small format laptop, whatever we do to it!

Honestly, I have done my experimentation with 64-bit OS and this computer, and I am going to flatten my 64-bit OS and partition and just revert back to OEM, box-stock 32-bit OS and enjoy the computer for what it is meant for, and quit trying to make it an Intel Core i7 920! It is just not fast enough, big enough, does not have BIOS support for 64-bit applications and programs, and certainly cannot, at this time support 8GB RAM! It's just not worth the trouble if you  ask me, and I've had 64-bit OS on this thing all week since I bought it.

The tutorial you have made is, perhaps, amazing in and of itself, but my Lord, why? Can you give us two good reasons to do this exercise in the 1st place? If you can, maybe you can educate me a bit about it because I have exhausted the possibilities that I thought up before I installed 64-bit Home Premium on Tuesday night, exactly 24 hours after I took delivery of this thing. I thought, "Oh what the heck, let's install it and see if anything comes of it?" And guess what? NOTHING has come of it so far! I don't see Asus jumping up and rewriting their software for us, or doing some new BIOS so that it will support 8GB RAM...you know what I mean?

Thank you for the effort, it's truly interesting what you have posted here, but I really don't think that many, if any owners are going to go through all that for nothing at all--in the long run that is the result, comprendo? I wish it were different, but this is NOT a good candidate for 64-bit Windows 7 of any description...it's a NETBOOK/LAPTOP with an Intel N330 Atom CPU, with a Windows Experience Index of 3.3 points! My Core i7 920 is 7.9 points across the board and I use it for very, very heavy duty, complex things, things I'd never give this little guy a chance at...it would be completely futile.

Let's all come down to earth about this little sweetie and enjoy if for what it is, and not make it into some freakish, pretend-to-be-BIG computer!

Asus UL30Vt-X1 - 160GB Intel X25-M SSD - 8GB Samsung 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM - Win7/64 - G73SW-3DE full 3D notebook-120Hz LG 17.3" matte finish Backlit LED/LCD, Full 3D HD Video/Sound 1920x1080P-HDMI, USB 3.0, 3x USB 2.0, SuperMulti Card Reader; 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD boot HD, 500GB 7200RPM Seagate XT HD; Intel N-6300 Ultimate "N" 2.4/5.8Ghz WiFi; Sony Optiarc 5730S BluRay Writer (6X x 6X x 40X; 16GB Corsair 1333Mhz RAM; Win 7 64-bit Ultimate; Broadcomm BlueTooth; nVidia 460M 1.5GB DDR5 Video Card--the finest equipped NB I've ever built up, like WOW, Baby!
lai
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 199
Posted:1/25/2010 11:45:00 PM # 3
thanks for the info, but you dont need to go through all those detail just to make a bootable USB, also as stated, the USB tool does not always work. just use the info in the link, only takes a few minutes and work perfect. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd535816.aspx

Asus Champagne S101H 320HDD Gskill DDR2 667 2GB Ram Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit Asus Silver 1201N 64GB SLC SSD Elpida DDR2 800 8GB Ram Windows 7 Home Premuim 64 Bit Lenovo Black 410A 320HDD Qimonda DDR2 800 8GB Ram Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
-
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:1/26/2010 4:33:00 PM # 4
I don't know what you're talking about.

I've installed a fresh copy of Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit and:

1. The OEM key works.

2. All Asus softwares work. (On a side note, you could also download some newer drivers for some of your hardware, such as chipset, touch-pad, graphics, wireless and LAN, from the original manufacturer website.)

3. System runs much smoother and faster, however it is a clean install so of course it will.
(In comparison to Asus pre-loaded one.)

Cheers. :)

Milo
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:1/27/2010 11:39:00 AM # 5
I think you missed the point, no one wants to drag around second drive, procedure is explained in case someone has an issue with it, and there is no problem with getting the most out of the cpu.
And of course no one is expecting it to be  i7, that behemoth doesn't carry around too well.
as for the Total media, just go to your CD that came with your eee and install it from software folder.

Thanks Micca I needed the link for nvidia 15.51 html link. It is not showing on the site anymore.

Bour
Level :
Posted:2/8/2010 8:26:00 PM # 6
The link for win 32 bits bootsect.exe file was really helpful. I use XP 32 bits and I was struggling to make a bootable usb drive to install windows seven 64. Thanks!

DJNgoma
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 53
Posted:2/10/2010 3:21:00 AM # 7
wintoflash is an easier solution to the official Win 7 USB tool from MSFT. http://wintoflash.com/home/en/

etiop
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/30/2010 10:46:00 PM # 8
Please, help me. My webcam doesn't work. I have Windows 7 Professional 64 installed on my 1201n. Everything works fine except the camera. Device manager says Unknown Device under Universal Serial Bus controllers. Device status: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (Code 43).
Is this a hardware problem or a possible driver issue? In the latter case what is the correct driver for this device?

lai
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 199
Posted:3/30/2010 10:50:00 PM # 9
have you tried going into the bios setting and enable the web cam.
Quote:
Author: etiop Posted: 3/30/2010 10:46:00 PM

Please, help me. My webcam doesn't work. I have Windows 7 Professional 64 installed on my 1201n. Everything works fine except the camera. Device manager says Unknown Device under Universal Serial Bus controllers. Device status: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (Code 43).
Is this a hardware problem or a possible driver issue? In the latter case what is the correct driver for this device?

Asus Champagne S101H 320HDD Gskill DDR2 667 2GB Ram Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit Asus Silver 1201N 64GB SLC SSD Elpida DDR2 800 8GB Ram Windows 7 Home Premuim 64 Bit Lenovo Black 410A 320HDD Qimonda DDR2 800 8GB Ram Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
etiop
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/1/2010 5:40:00 PM # 10
I tried disable and enable but it has no effect since there is this unkown usb device "Code 43" when enabled. I already tried Windows 7 32 installed with the same result.
Could someone tell me the exact type of the camera Device Manager/Imaging devices/camera/detailes please?

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.