ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Eee Family > Eee PC 1201N  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Feedback and Suggestion]Recovery from USB New Topic
BattousaiAC
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:1/16/2010 8:56:00 PM # 1
I want to make a clean install for win7, formating my hdd an eliminating the recovery partition, but have no External DVD unit available, I've tried to copy the recovery DVD to a USB with succes, even booted from the usb but when I choose to make a full recovery to hdd an error message about inserting the recovery dvd appears. from the windows site you can obtain a tool to make a usb key installation but the DVD does not contain a proper windows installation disk image, besides it does not open the asus utility from any computer with diferent OS than Win7. I think that for a netbook an utility on the recovery DVD that allows the creation of a USB Key installer is essential, many of the users that owns a netbook have acces to desktop pc where you can use the recovery DVD but is no sense to buy an external DVD unit just for doing a clean install. Does anyone around know how to make the recovery from the usb key????? Thanks in advance Sorry but the forum delete the blank lines making a total brick from my post...can't solve :-)

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
lai
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 199
Posted:1/16/2010 10:23:00 PM # 2
the asus recovery dvd is just asus version of the windows 7 with asus coding in it to prevent the dvd to be used on other branded pc's. it is not a image like the recovery partition, after using the recovery dvd, you will need to install all the drivers again.
the usb utlilty provided by microsoft is useless, it doesn't always work, use the info from this site to create a bootable usb.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd535816.aspx

Asus Champagne S101H 320HDD Gskill DDR2 667 2GB Ram Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit Asus Silver 1201N 64GB SLC SSD Elpida DDR2 800 8GB Ram Windows 7 Home Premuim 64 Bit Lenovo Black 410A 320HDD Qimonda DDR2 800 8GB Ram Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
Showalter
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:2/3/2010 3:18:00 PM # 3
I am having the EXACT same problem as the original poster.  I did the bootable USB like the directions said and am still having the problem.  It boots off USB just fine, but the problem comes after I try to format my hard drive.  It keeps asking me to insert the recovery CD and will not let me proceed to reinstall the OEM version of Windows 7/ format the hard drive.  I really do not want to purchase an external DVD drive.
(Edit: I have the EEE PC 1201N)

drc77
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 55
Posted:2/3/2010 5:18:00 PM # 4
An external DVD+/-RW optical drive is a beautiful thing! You can do all kinds of things, you know...install software, format HD's, install operating systems, customize music and video, burn DVD's and CD's, etc etc. There's no excuse for not having one to me, it's part of having computers, tech equipment et al. Sorry you folks are having such a time of it...without one. Me? I have several, and they do come in handy...pony up nice people, get with it...

Asus UL30Vt-X1 - 160GB Intel X25-M SSD - 8GB Samsung 1066Mhz DDR3 RAM - Win7/64 - G73SW-3DE full 3D notebook-120Hz LG 17.3" matte finish Backlit LED/LCD, Full 3D HD Video/Sound 1920x1080P-HDMI, USB 3.0, 3x USB 2.0, SuperMulti Card Reader; 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSD boot HD, 500GB 7200RPM Seagate XT HD; Intel N-6300 Ultimate "N" 2.4/5.8Ghz WiFi; Sony Optiarc 5730S BluRay Writer (6X x 6X x 40X; 16GB Corsair 1333Mhz RAM; Win 7 64-bit Ultimate; Broadcomm BlueTooth; nVidia 460M 1.5GB DDR5 Video Card--the finest equipped NB I've ever built up, like WOW, Baby!
kungfulou
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 3
Posted:2/28/2010 4:43:00 PM # 5
I have spent many hours on getting my 1201n to reload from the recovery DVD via USB. It never worked for me. I have tried several Bootable image makers out there.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.