ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Eee Family > Eee PC 1008P  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Others]Linux on Eee PC 1008P New Topic
valves
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:4/18/2010 8:43:00 AM # 1
Hello.

I just bought Asus Eee PC 1008P (netbook with design by Rashid Karim). But I don't like Windows. Is it easy to install Linux on this netbook? Has anyone tried yet? What about the related problems?
Thanks in advance,

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Nikita
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 395
Posted:4/18/2010 5:23:00 PM # 2

Quote:
Author: valves Posted: 4/18/2010 8:43:00 AM

Hello.

I just bought Asus Eee PC 1008P (netbook with design by Rashid Karim). But I don't like Windows. Is it easy to install Linux on this netbook? Has anyone tried yet? What about the related problems?
Thanks in advance,

Try using LiLi and any distribution of linux you want. My personal favourite is LinuxMint. I always have a "install" on SD-card for fooling around or solving some issues that you can't do from Windows.

Forum Current time zone offset: UTC/GMT +8 hours -- My Current time zone offset: UTC/GMT +2 hours
valves
Level :
Posted:4/18/2010 8:02:00 PM # 3
Thank you very much. I wil try LiLi this week. But I suppose I want to install some Linux distro on the hard drive and completely erase Windows, because I don't understand Windows very much - it's boring and confusing to me. Can you tell me if BIOS needs to be changed to boot from USB key - and, by the way, what is the key to enter BIOS (I tried ESC at the boot but didn't work)?
Thank you.

Nikita
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 395
Posted:4/18/2010 9:05:00 PM # 4
To get in to the BIOS hit F2 during boot.

To Boot from USB you may hit ESC during boot to access Boot BBS and choose the device you wish to boot from.

Forum Current time zone offset: UTC/GMT +8 hours -- My Current time zone offset: UTC/GMT +2 hours
valves
Level :
Posted:4/20/2010 5:47:00 AM # 5
Thank you, Nikita.
I wil try as soon as I can. And I wil post here the results.
I am very pleased about this forum, because is very active.
Congratulations.

bradley
Level :
Posted:7/10/2010 10:05:00 AM # 6
thanks for the post. I tried it, but the F2 and ESC go to the windows startup options. there is no direct access to bios/boot order. It would be very helpful to have this in order to boot up say something other than windows7. I was trying on the 1008P karim. if you have any other suggestions, please post them.

thanks.

lizzielou
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:7/16/2010 3:38:00 AM # 7
It is possible to use F2 and ESC and even F9 to restore but first you have to disable the boot booster which is done in the BIOS - a bit of a chicken and egg situation. You can get into the BIOS by hitting F2 as soon as you switch on the machine, you have to do it very quickly to interrupt the Windows load. Once you can get into the BIOS disable the boot booster and from then on you will always be able to access the special keys easily.

I soon got fed up with the Win 7 starter kit on my 1008p and have got back to a full XP system. It has been quite a journey, without any help from ASUS support who didn't want to answer my questions, but I am finally there.

Hope this helps and you can now get into the BIOS

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.