Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Eee Family > Eee PC 1008HA  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Recreate recovery partition after deletion New Topic
Galli
Level :
Tech Points : 3
Posted:12/2/2009 9:22:00 PM # 1
While installing another OS, I deleted my recovery partition so F9 no longer works. Can I restore the recovery partition with the Recovery CD provided with 1008HA ? IF not, how can I create a recovery partition so I can boot from it in the future. My system had windows 7 preinstalled. Thanks

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
DrZ
Level :
Tech Points : 2133
Posted:12/2/2009 10:47:00 PM # 2

Quote:
Author: Galli Posted: 12/2/2009 9:22:00 PM

While installing another OS, I deleted my recovery partition so F9 no longer works. Can I restore the recovery partition with the Recovery CD provided with 1008HA ? IF not, how can I create a recovery partition so I can boot from it in the future. My system had windows 7 preinstalled. Thanks

Yes.... that is exactly how you restore your recovery partition.  You will need a USB DVD player/burner.  Put your Support DVD into the USB Drive.  Shutdown the machine.  Press the power button and immediately start tapping the ESC key.  This will bring up a boot menu.  Select your DVD and let it restore your machine.  It will format the drives and completely recover your netbook back to day 1.  You will lose anything you have stored on the machine so if you want to keep it.... move it to a flash drive or some other storage media before you begin.

If your computer does not come up with the boot menu from tapping the ESC key, you may need to go into your BIOS and turn off the boot booster.

Best Regards,
DrZ

Old Guy. EPc 1201N (Win 7, 4gB RAM). Panasonic toughbook with Windoze XP Pro and Suse Linux. Hand built Power machine with Quad core, 16gB memory, 2TB hard drive, Dual 1gB video Cards, Running XpPro and Unix. Research Engineer with close to 40 yrs experience working on and with computers....guess that makes me an old geek and if not a geek.... just cussed old!
Galli
Level :
Posted:12/3/2009 10:25:00 AM # 3
Thanks DrZ ! this is so reassuring... I will try it and next time I will think before I impulsively wipe out my partitions. Regards, Galli

Manuel
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 50
Posted:12/3/2009 12:07:00 PM # 4
Dr. Z, When you say that the System Recovery process formats the hard disk, what exactly do you mean? Does it format and repartition the entire disk, including fixing the MBR? I ask for the following reason. I am running a 1005HAB, have had it now for less than 24 hours, and somehow picked up some malware (I believe I got it from Eeerotate.exe, which was irresponsibly recommended by Lifehacker and CNET), and it survived the F9 restore process. Do I need to worry about it coming back after doing the recovery process via the support DVD? Thanks in advance for your help!

Manuel
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:12/4/2009 1:44:00 AM # 5
Your help would be greatly appreciated. My concerns about malware were unduly amplified by the recently broken Avast!, which gave everyone loads of false positives yesterday. Still, Eeerotate has been noted on a couple of sites as a worm and as using rootkit techniques, so I am afraid I may have compromised my system with it. I need to know if the recovery disk will eliminate a rootkit or if I need to run a live distro of Linux to properly format.

DrZ
Level :
Tech Points : 2133
Posted:12/4/2009 2:16:00 AM # 6

Quote:
Author: Manuel Posted: 12/3/2009 12:07:00 PM

Dr. Z, When you say that the System Recovery process formats the hard disk, what exactly do you mean? Does it format and repartition the entire disk, including fixing the MBR? I ask for the following reason. I am running a 1005HAB, have had it now for less than 24 hours, and somehow picked up some malware (I believe I got it from Eeerotate.exe, which was irresponsibly recommended by Lifehacker and CNET), and it survived the F9 restore process. Do I need to worry about it coming back after doing the recovery process via the support DVD? Thanks in advance for your help!

Manual,
When you do a system recovery with the Support DVD.... it rewrites EVERYTHING.  All partitions.  I installed OpenSuse on my machine....which rewrites MBR and when I used the system disk... everything came back the same as day 1.... including the MBR.  If you are concerned.... go online and download a Win ME boot disk.  Write it to floppy and borrow a usb floppy drive.  Load the disk by pressing the power button and immediately start tapping the ESC key and select the USB Floppy drive.  Then do a fdisk/mbr.  This will rewrite your MBR.  I just don't think that will be necessary. 

When you finish everything.... put AVG Free and Malwarebytes (both free) on your system and you should be good to go.

Best Regards,
DrZ

Old Guy. EPc 1201N (Win 7, 4gB RAM). Panasonic toughbook with Windoze XP Pro and Suse Linux. Hand built Power machine with Quad core, 16gB memory, 2TB hard drive, Dual 1gB video Cards, Running XpPro and Unix. Research Engineer with close to 40 yrs experience working on and with computers....guess that makes me an old geek and if not a geek.... just cussed old!
Manuel
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:12/4/2009 2:33:00 AM # 7
Thanks, DrZ. If you say the recovery disk rewrites MBR, I trust you. I just didn't know for myself. A consequence of increased user-friendliness that I don't like is the fact that hardware and software manufacturers don't say what they mean anymore, i.e. "recovery" or "restore" could mean anything. I trust Avast! and have never had problems with it before, and I hear the broken update from yesterday has been fixed. But I think I'm going to stick with Avira for a few scans anyway. I've used AVG in the past but, as I remember it, it slowed things down way too much for my taste (same reason I refuse to use Norton). I'm running a rootkit scan with Avira right now, but as I hear, rootkit scans running in Windows are of dubious value, since if a rootkit is present, the OS and anything running in it can't be trusted. C'est la vie. Thank you very much for your help. You have put my mind at (relative) ease. I'm just a hypochondriac and it extends to my computers. :)

Josh
Level :
Posted:5/4/2010 11:55:00 PM # 8

DrZ,

From what I've been reading, you may know the answer to my question. I have a ASUS Eee PC Netbook 1001P. I have made no changes to the original recovery partition. I am interested in changing the recovery image so that when I press F9, the computer is restored to a configuration of my personal preference (same OS, but with added software and changed settings, etc.) and not the original factory settings. Do you know how to do this? Thank you for your time.

Josh

P
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:9/9/2010 5:58:00 AM # 9
Much thanks for your guide, DrZ. i'm wandering about some problem, could you help me out.
- i don't use Eee but G50vt, and i've got same question as Galli, i think my recovery partition is damaged, i don't know why, i figured out when i tried to recover my lap, and i've got a big red error message, and it interrupted the process at 76%, luckily i still have the recovery-DVD, but what would happened if someday it damaged or i lost it
- i've got two drives, and a DVD reader (one drive with vista installed and the DVD reader are built-in), so does it erase all my drives? and do i need a USB DVD as you said?

Sorry for my bad English

Ambly
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 42
Posted:9/24/2010 5:02:00 PM # 10
It is possible to recreate the RECOVERY partition to use with F9 on boot, if my system had Vista Professional installed but now I use Windows 7 Professional installed by the DVD provided by Asus as upgrade?

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: HHC New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.