SEARCH
ASUS Member ID
Password
Forgot password?
Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Eee Family > Eee PC 1005PE  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Feedback and Suggestion]Update - Can I Create a Restore CD? - YES, a USB recovery Image New Topic
Carter
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 12
Posted:4/29/2010 1:08:00 AM # 1
This thread is listed in the Elite Posts.
Is it possible to create a Restore CD/DVD  from the Restore partition?

The F9 restore function is Useless when the Hard disk fails.   Hard disk failure is the primary reason why you would have to restore in the first place.  Do we just send back to Asus if the hard drive fails?

I have an EeePC  1005PE with Windows 7 Starter.   I also have an external CD/DVD burner.

I'm sure this may have been asked before, but I could not find a good answer.

thanks for your help.
==========================================================
UPDATE - Here are the steps to create a Recovery image on a USB Storage Device.
Or, look at the last post.

===========================================================
E5782

ASUS Eee PC Technical Updates

System recovery

Disable Boot Booster in BIOS setup before you perform system recovery from USB flash disk, external optical drive or hidden partition.

Ensure to connect your Eee PC to the AC power adapter before using F9 recovery to avoid recovery failure.

Using recovery partition (F9 Recovery)

1. Press <F9> during bootup.

Ensure to press <F9> only once during bootup.

2. Select the language you use and click to continue.

3. Click Recovery in the Recovery System dialog box to start the system recovery.

4. The system starts system recovery automatically and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the recovery process.

15G06Q257000

Back up the recovery files

1. Repeat the step 1—2 in the previous section.

2. Connect a USB storage device to your Eee PC and click Backup in the Recovery System dialog box to start the recovery files backup.

The size of the connected USB storage device should be larger than 16GB.

Memory cards are not supported for this function.

A dialog box appears as a reminder if you have not connected the USB storage device for system recovery backup to your Eee PC.

3. Select a desired USB storage device if more than one USB storage device is connected to your Eee PC and click Continue.

4. All the data on the selected USB storage device will be cleared. Click Continue to start the backup or click Back to backup your important data.

You will lose all your data on the selected USB storage device. Ensure to back up your important data beforehand

5. The system backup starts and click OK when done.

Using the USB storage device (USB recovery)

1. Connect the USB storage device that you backup the system recovery files.

2. Press <ESC> on bootup and the Please select boot device screen appears. Select USB:XXXXXX to boot from the connected USB storage device.

Please select boot device:

HDD:SM-ASUS-PHISON SSDUSB:XXXXXXXX

and to move selection

ENTER to select boot device

3. Select the language you use and click to continue.

4. Click Recovery to start system recovery.

5. Select a partition option and click Continue. Partition options:

Recover system to a partition.

This option deletes all data on the system partition “C” and keeps the partition “D” unchanged.

Recover system to entire HD.

This option deletes all partitions from your hard disk drive and creates a new system partition as drive “C” and a data partition as drive “D“.

6. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the recovery process.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
DrZ
Level :
Tech Points : 2133
Posted:4/29/2010 2:43:00 AM # 2

Quote:
Author: Carter Posted: 4/29/2010 1:08:00 AM

Is it possible to create a Restore CD/DVD  from the Restore partition?

The F9 restore function is Useless when the Hard disk fails.   Hard disk failure is the primary reason why you would have to restore in the first place.  Do we just send back to Asus if the hard drive fails?

I plan on creating a backup/clone of my windows partition using clonezilla, or Macrium Reflect for my own backup, but it would be nice to have a disk that I could restore the PC to factory settings.

I have an EeePC  1005PE with Windows 7 Starter.   I also have an external CD/DVD burner.

I'm sure this may have been asked before, but I could not find a good answer.

thanks for your help.

Carter,
I am very confused here.  According to all I have seen and read...the 1005PE comes with a single DVD that is your recovery DVD for your machine.  With this DVD, you can restore your machine totally back to day 1.

Did you dig into the box completely to see if you have one.  I had a 900ha and now have a 1201N and each one came with a DVD.  Sometimes it is called the support DVD.

Let us know.
Best Regards,
DrZ

Old Guy. EPc 1201N (Win 7, 4gB RAM). Panasonic toughbook with Windoze XP Pro and Suse Linux. Hand built Power machine with Quad core, 16gB memory, 2TB hard drive, Dual 1gB video Cards, Running XpPro and Unix. Research Engineer with close to 40 yrs experience working on and with computers....guess that makes me an old geek and if not a geek.... just cussed old!
Carter
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/29/2010 3:19:00 AM # 3
DrZ,

No, the 1005PE  does NOT come with a Recovery dvd.   The manual explicitly states that no recovery DVD is provided, and that recovery is from a Hidden partition on the hard disk.

A system recovery  can only be performed by hitting the F9 key at bootup, which brings up a recovery process.   There is a hidden partition with the recovery files.

Pretty useless when the Hard drive fails. 

Anyone have any ideas??    There isn't even a utility to create a recovery disk from this partition.

-Tim

Nikita
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 395
Posted:4/29/2010 4:46:00 PM # 4
@ DrZ

According to this posting by ASUS the EeePC and notebook product package does not come with the notebook support DVD any more as of January 2010.

I do know however that other hardware manufacturers like Sony, HP and Acer offer you the ability to create a DVD yourself using the Recovery Partition from HDD. I think ASUS dropped the ball on this one. This option is available for notebooks only (AI Recovery Burner), NOT for Eee Pc's.

Forum Current time zone offset: UTC/GMT +8 hours -- My Current time zone offset: UTC/GMT +2 hours
Carter
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/29/2010 10:50:00 PM # 5
ASUS sure did drop the ball.    Completely USELESS. !!!!  
When the Hard disk fails, owners of the 10005PE are SOL.    No way to recover from a failed disk, which is the whole point of a system recovery.

They could have at least provided a utility to create your own Recovery DVD from files on the recovery partition.

Incredibly lame and shortsighted.

Nikita
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/29/2010 11:36:00 PM # 6
One thing you could do anyway is retrieve the image(s) from the partition(s) and burn them to disk as data (back-up). You'll have to do this from another OS (Linux), Win7 doesn't let you "see" them. You can also spend a extra DVD and try burning as "Burn Image" option. If I'm not mistaken the images are Ghost images which should be bootable, but I'm not sure at all about that.

Forum Current time zone offset: UTC/GMT +8 hours -- My Current time zone offset: UTC/GMT +2 hours
Carter
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/30/2010 1:50:00 AM # 7
I spoke too soon.  After an  online Chat with ASUS, I found out It IS possible to backup the Restore partition.  There is an option from the F9 Restore screen.     Just run the restore (F9)  at bootup.   It will act like it is running windows setup, and then brings up a menu as below.
It states that you will need a 16gb USB flashdrive.   I don't think it can write a DVD.   But, once you have the Flashdrive formatted for the recovery, you could use a Disk Image tool, like IMGBURN to create an ISO image and then burn that to DVD.

ASUS sent me a Support Document that details the steps.  The information on the Backup of the restore partition should be in the Documentation, but it isn't.   

I can't post a document, but here is the contents I copied and pasted minus the graphics.   See the section on Backup Recovery Files.

E5782

ASUS Eee PC Technical Updates

System recovery

Disable Boot Booster in BIOS setup before you perform system recovery from USB flash disk, external optical drive or hidden partition.

Ensure to connect your Eee PC to the AC power adapter before using F9 recovery to avoid recovery failure.

Using recovery partition (F9 Recovery)

1. Press <F9> during bootup.

Ensure to press <F9> only once during bootup.

2. Select the language you use and click to continue.

3. Click Recovery in the Recovery System dialog box to start the system recovery.

4. The system starts system recovery automatically and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the recovery process.

15G06Q257000

Back up the recovery files

1. Repeat the step 1—2 in the previous section.

2. Connect a USB storage device to your Eee PC and click Backup in the Recovery System dialog box to start the recovery files backup.

The size of the connected USB storage device should be larger than 16GB.

Memory cards are not supported for this function.

A dialog box appears as a reminder if you have not connected the USB storage device for system recovery backup to your Eee PC.

3. Select a desired USB storage device if more than one USB storage device is connected to your Eee PC and click Continue.

4. All the data on the selected USB storage device will be cleared. Click Continue to start the backup or click Back to backup your important data.

You will lose all your data on the selected USB storage device. Ensure to back up your important data beforehand

5. The system backup starts and click OK when done.

Using the USB storage device (USB recovery)

1. Connect the USB storage device that you backup the system recovery files.

2. Press <ESC> on bootup and the Please select boot device screen appears. Select USB:XXXXXX to boot from the connected USB storage device.

Please select boot device:

HDD:SM-ASUS-PHISON SSDUSB:XXXXXXXX

and to move selection

ENTER to select boot device

3. Select the language you use and click to continue.

4. Click Recovery to start system recovery.

5. Select a partition option and click Continue. Partition options:

Recover system to a partition.

This option deletes all data on the system partition “C” and keeps the partition “D” unchanged.

Recover system to entire HD.

This option deletes all partitions from your hard disk drive and creates a new system partition as drive “C” and a data partition as drive “D“.

6. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the recovery process.

Nikita
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:4/30/2010 6:25:00 AM # 8
Kudos for posting this Carter.

I think DrZ should make this a sticky.

Krishna
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:4/30/2010 3:36:00 PM # 9
Thanks for this post. I suppose the USB back up is the only way out? I bought a asus 1005PE 17 yesterday on amazon which clearly stated that there is a recovery cd/dvd/ but when I opened the package there was none! Amazon refunded 15 % of the money for this.

Schlontz
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:4/30/2010 4:27:00 PM # 10
Hello! I got yesterday the 1005PE and there was no Support-DVD. I read this solution for recovery yesterday and tested it. I think it doesn't work. Today I phoned ASUS-Support in Germany. They told me that there is no Support-DVD in the package since Feb. 2010. Maybe there will be a special version of "AI Recovery" for eeepc in the future, but also it can be that there will be no version. I think that's no good support for customers. The customer should decide himself, if he want to burn DVDs or not. By the way, i tested the solution with a 1.8"-USB-HDD. But I failed. In the Point 2 of "Back up recovery files", it 's not possible to click "Backup", because there is no "Backup-Button"! Maybe I do something wrong, but I think not... Has anyone tested it with success ?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.