Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Eee Family > Eee PC 1005HA  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Battery, BIOS settings and speed New Topic
Ammu
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:10/16/2009 10:16:00 PM # 1
Hi all, I bought ASUS EEE PC 1005HA model just by loving its battery life of 10.5 hours (if not, at least 7 to 8 hours) but I am disappointed. I received a brand new one from shop, inserted battery and charged to its full. Started it on and off for 4 to 5 times just to check its boot up speed. It was nice. Then I turned on my wifi and so many windows updates were installed for quite some time (1 hour). After the restart, ASUS updates started. Again restart was required. Then it was giving two options with BIOS. One to proceed with default and other one to configure. I do not know any thing about BIOS and so, I selected to go with default settings. Now I observe the following. 1. System's boot up speed is very much reduced. It takes hell a lot of time to boot. 2. Battery life is very bad. 4.5 to 5.0 hours for a 100% charged battery to reach 10%. By the way, it is 68wh battery with 10.5 hours life. Wifi is off, blue tooth is off. I am just using it to read pdf files. Could anybody suggest me the settings for BIOS and settings for netbook to resolve / optimize above two issues? Thanks Sri

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
DrZ
Level :
Tech Points : 2133
Posted:10/16/2009 10:44:00 PM # 2
Sri,
To me... the battery life Asus quotes is only under certain conditions.  First... In Power Saving mode.  Second... with screen intensity set to approximately 40%.  Third... with Bluetooth and Wifi turned off.  Otherwise.... I believe you will probably get about 5 hours. 

Somethings you can do.  Read your manual about upgrading your BIOS.  You will want to upgrade it to BIOS 0905.  This change is specifically to enhance the battery performance.  I don't typically recommend BIOS upgrades because if done wrong... you can brick your machine.  But there are things you can do to reduce that possibility.  Download, unzip, and extract the date to a file on your machine.   Plug in your power block and shut down everything you can like your web browser, virus scanner, and anything else that can be shut down.  Look at the data and fine the file with the extension .ROM  Rename that file to 1005ha.ROM  Start up the Asus update.

To update the BIOS through a BIOS file:
Launch the ASUS Update utility from the Windows® desktop by clicking Start > Programs > ASUS > ASUSUpdate for EeePC>ASUSUpdate. The ASUS Update main window appears.  Select Update BIOS from file from the drop‐down menu, then click Next.  Locate the BIOS file from the Open window, then click Open.  Follow the screen instructions to complete the update process. 

Follow the instructions.  This takes a bit so don't attempt to rush it.  Doing anything during a BIOS update can turn your machine into a rather expensive door stop!

After completion of the BIOS update...it will tell you to reboot your machine.  Do so and make sure everything works properly.  One of the strange aspects of this machine is when you do a BIOS update...often the onboard devices are disabled.  To enable them... go into your owners manual and read how to enter your BIOS.  Once there...right arrow to your advanced page.  Down arrow to onboard device configuration and press enter.  You will be presented with a list of devices that are on your machine.  Look down the list and if any are disabled...arrow to that one and press enter.  This will open an enable/disable selection.  Arrow to enable and press enter.  Continue doing this until all are enabled.  When complete, press F10 to save your BIOS changes and the machine will reboot.

Everything should be updated and working now.  Hopefully you will get a longer battery life as well.  Remember you need to charge the battery completely...and use it or allow it to discharge to 10% and recharge it again.  Do this at least 3 times to ensure you get the longest battery life possible out of it.  All batteries degrade over time but this will help you to get the most life possible prior to having to purchase a new one.

Hope this helps.
Best Regards,
DrZ

Old Guy. EPc 1201N (Win 7, 4gB RAM). Panasonic toughbook with Windoze XP Pro and Suse Linux. Hand built Power machine with Quad core, 16gB memory, 2TB hard drive, Dual 1gB video Cards, Running XpPro and Unix. Research Engineer with close to 40 yrs experience working on and with computers....guess that makes me an old geek and if not a geek.... just cussed old!
kookai
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:10/18/2009 3:47:00 AM # 3
The same thing happened to me. I just bought asus 1005ha today and while I was surfing the net, a message from Live Update appeared and told me that an update was available. I clicked and checked what was the update and it turns out it was for the 0905 (battery performance enhancement). The funny thing is, after being prompted to reboot, my computer just shut down by itself. I turned it on and got your same error message that asks me to either press f1 or f2. I initially pressed f1 and checked to see what needs to be updated. I forgot what I had exactly gone through but in the end, I chose the option that will make the boot up of my computer to never ask me the same questions. I just chose that it will automatically load the default values whenever I will be asked that. It went through ok but then when I got to the part where I would be typing in my password, WinXP gave me an error saying that they couldn't find the local profile. I was still able to log in but then my files were all gone. I restarted my computer, afraid that I may have ruined something. After the next boot up, everything was ok. I still hope it would be ok. I'm yet to find out.
Quote:
Author: Ammu Posted: 10/16/2009 10:16:00 PM

Hi all, I bought ASUS EEE PC 1005HA model just by loving its battery life of 10.5 hours (if not, at least 7 to 8 hours) but I am disappointed. I received a brand new one from shop, inserted battery and charged to its full. Started it on and off for 4 to 5 times just to check its boot up speed. It was nice. Then I turned on my wifi and so many windows updates were installed for quite some time (1 hour). After the restart, ASUS updates started. Again restart was required. Then it was giving two options with BIOS. One to proceed with default and other one to configure. I do not know any thing about BIOS and so, I selected to go with default settings. Now I observe the following. 1. System's boot up speed is very much reduced. It takes hell a lot of time to boot. 2. Battery life is very bad. 4.5 to 5.0 hours for a 100% charged battery to reach 10%. By the way, it is 68wh battery with 10.5 hours life. Wifi is off, blue tooth is off. I am just using it to read pdf files. Could anybody suggest me the settings for BIOS and settings for netbook to resolve / optimize above two issues? Thanks Sri

Ammu
Level :
Posted:10/19/2009 5:11:00 PM # 4
Thank you DrZ. Would you please tell me how to change the screen intensity to 40%. I tried going into "Intel Graphics" properties and display settings. There I see "display settings" --> "Advanced". In this window there is a scale which can be dragged from "Min battery" to "Max Battery". But for me, this window is completely disabled (Grayed out) and I can not change it. Is this the place I can change screen intensity. Please advise me if not. Coming to BIOS, I am still reading, understanding your post and I will do the changes after I am comfortable. By the way I understand, I needs a bit experience and concentration to carry out this BIOS update which I lack :-(. Thanks

Ammu
Level :
Posted:10/19/2009 8:07:00 PM # 5
Hello DrZ, Thank you for your response. I checked the brightness of my screen with the function keys. It is about 40% only. I also checked BIOS version. It is as follows. ASUS 1005HA ACPI BIOS Revision 0905 Core Version : 0905 EC Firmware Version: EPCD-028 I also checked my Boot Booster. It was enabled. But still by battery life and boot-up speed are poor. Any further advises please !!!! When I fully charge my battery, it shows me 10.5 hours, also 11.0 hours some times.... but discharges very quickly. I use my laptop in train for 30 minutes every day when I go to office and 30 minutes while coming home. Could this be one reason for my poor battery life ???? And also, any clue to improve the speed. Windows XP logo and welcome screen are in good speed then it stays in a screen with the user password. After entering user password, taking lot of time .... after 5 to 6 sec after I press enter .... then saying "loading your personal settings...." etc... and takes quite some time to show my desktop.... Thanks all for your replies .... Sri

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.