Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Eee Family > Eee PC 1005HA  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Feedback and Suggestion]Battery not charging New Topic
maxmagma
Level :
Tech Points : 3
Posted:8/23/2009 6:26:00 AM # 1
The battery of my Eee PC 1005 is not charging. The battery led shows an orange light when i plug in the ac adaptor but if i disconnect it the netbook instantly turns off. The AC adaptor led indicates blue color. Does anyone have the same problem and could help me?

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Tropicseed
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 49
Posted:8/23/2009 7:30:00 AM # 2
You don't say whether this is a new netbook. If so, the battery needs to be charged for several hours before use. Have you left it to charge for a while?

Here a a couple more tests that might help:

- when you plug in the charger, does the netbook notice? The screen should brighten, and you should see a small alert window saying that it's now on AC power and the new Super Hybrid Engine Mode (normally auto high performance as I recall).

- also the icon in the system tray should change from a battery to a plug with a lightning flash charging symbol. When you hover over it it will say how much battery power is remaining. Note that by default this icon is not shown, the battery icon simply disappears when you plug in. To make it appear go to Start -> Control Panel -> Power Options. Select the 'Advanced' tab and check 'always show icon in the taskbar'. You can also open the 'Power Meter' tab to check the battery's status.

The blue light on the AC power brickette means it thinks it's working normally, and an orange battery light means that the battery has less than 90% charge (it changes to green on >90% charge).

hope this helps
patrick

maxmagma
Level :
Tech Points : 3
Posted:8/23/2009 8:04:00 AM # 3

Quote:
Author: Tropicseed Posted: 8/23/2009 7:30:00 AM

You don't say whether this is a new netbook. If so, the battery needs to be charged for several hours before use. Have you left it to charge for a while?

Here a a couple more tests that might help:

- when you plug in the charger, does the netbook notice? The screen should brighten, and you should see a small alert window saying that it's now on AC power and the new Super Hybrid Engine Mode (normally auto high performance as I recall).

- also the icon in the system tray should change from a battery to a plug with a lightning flash charging symbol. When you hover over it it will say how much battery power is remaining. Note that by default this icon is not shown, the battery icon simply disappears when you plug in. To make it appear go to Start -> Control Panel -> Power Options. Select the 'Advanced' tab and check 'always show icon in the taskbar'. You can also open the 'Power Meter' tab to check the battery's status.

The blue light on the AC power brickette means it thinks it's working normally, and an orange battery light means that the battery has less than 90% charge (it changes to green on >90% charge).

hope this helps
patrick

Thanks for the reply and answering your questions:

- Yes, it´s a new one.

- Yes, the netbook notices, the Super Hybtid icon mode shows;

- Yes, it shows the lighting flash charging symbol;

- When i check the power meter, the battery´s status shows me 34%;

But

- When i disconnect the AC adaptor, it turns off as if the battery is 0%

- I tried to charge it for 8 hours, but nothing happened

Kel
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:8/25/2009 2:38:00 PM # 4
yeah i just gotten mine last week...was all fine after the first 8hrs charge but after utilising the whole battery...went back for 2nd charge and after 4hrs, disconnected the ac charger and was shocked to realised that the netbook doesnt on at all. Tried all methods but only managed to power up through ac charge. Then no matter how long is the charge, the battery meter just display 31% full...damm frustrating lor Went back Harvey Norman to change the battery...the salesman quite nice, offer to change whole unit but i've already purchase my Norton online so just changed the battery... Today trying out the new battery, hopefully it hopes...will keep you peeps updated...

alexpietro
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:8/27/2009 12:28:00 AM # 5

Quote:
Author: Kel Posted: 8/25/2009 2:38:00 PM

yeah i just gotten mine last week...was all fine after the first 8hrs charge but after utilising the whole battery...went back for 2nd charge and after 4hrs, disconnected the ac charger and was shocked to realised that the netbook doesnt on at all. Tried all methods but only managed to power up through ac charge. Then no matter how long is the charge, the battery meter just display 31% full...damm frustrating lor Went back Harvey Norman to change the battery...the salesman quite nice, offer to change whole unit but i've already purchase my Norton online so just changed the battery... Today trying out the new battery, hopefully it hopes...will keep you peeps updated...

Did it work? I have the exact same problem as you and maxmagma... My 1005HAB is new (bought yesterday) and I first recharged the battery for 15 hours... but for my surprise when I disconnect the power cable the computer doesn't stay on :( How to solve????

Kel
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:8/27/2009 12:18:00 PM # 6
Hello peeps...yes confirm is the battery problem..I've tested a few time after I've gotten the replacement battery and so far evrything works fine...so i will strongly suggest to try getting a new battery to try first and if aoll fails then proceed to send it in for technical repair. Afterall, changing the battery is definitely easier comparatively to sending the whole netbook in, which may take couple of days to retify...hope that helps:)

MissV
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 5
Posted:8/30/2009 11:06:00 PM # 7
oh my god. im experiencing the same thing. do i really need to have my battery replaced?

Kel
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:8/31/2009 1:39:00 PM # 8
Hey bud u shld bring it back to the retailer for them to test out..if problem persist...then they may either replace the battery or the whole unit for you...

Samuelson
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:9/6/2009 10:27:00 PM # 9

I just purchased my 1101HA and am having the same problem.

Ran perfect until it needed it's 2nd charge (I charged it up to 100% first time out-of-the-box). Afterward the battery indicator doesn't show past 33%. Additionally, the little on-computer LED never indicates a full charged while plugged into the adapter.

I left it plugged in a full 20 hours just-to-be-sure.

I also ran LiveUpdate yesterday - reports that I'm current an all applicable software versions.

Samuelson
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:9/8/2009 12:20:00 AM # 10
An update to this battery issue...

I discovered that the battery did last far beyond the 2hour estimate the meter reported. I ran my computer at least 6 hours last night without issue - all while the meter reported below 2hours.

So, I tried the following.

I turned off all the battery alarms - I did this so that I could allow the netbook to run to where the battery shut itself off (as apposed to the netbook turning itself off). Modern batteries are supposed to have a shut-off mechanism built in to prevent 100% exhaustion.

I wanted to run the battery out  to force the battery+netbook to re-calibrate battery status (charge).

So, with battery alarms turned off, I ran my netbook with Pandora running in the browser - this seemed to naturally keep the computer running without falling into standby mode. I ran the netbook through the night.

This morning the netbook was off with battery reporting 0% power.

I then plugged in the power adapter (aka charger) and watched as the battery charged itself up to 100%. The led indicators were also functioning correctly with the "green" light reporting > 90% charged (or 100% charged as far as I was concerned).

The battery meter also reported 100% charged - meaning that the previous problem of not showing past 30% is now fixed.

I also switch over to using a very nice alternate power meter (recommended here) called, "batteryInfo" (http://www.batteryinfo.de.vu/).

So - the short story to this battery issue was that it was out-of-calibration. Running the battery out to minimal charge (or 0%) fixed the problem.

Thanks to others at this forum for providing me this solution.

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.