Password
Forgot password?
Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Eee Family > Eee PC 1000HE  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Windows 7 power management Vs. Super Hybrid Engine New Topic

Tech Points : 58
Posted:11/6/2009 6:58:00 PM # 1
Windows 7 has 3 default power schemes. "Balanced", "Power saver" and "High performance".

How do these work when the ASUS Super Hybrid Engine is installed? (SHE v2.09)

To get full power does Windows need to be set to high performance AND the hybrid engine? or does the hybrid engine take care of everything?

The same to preserve battery life, do I need to change the windows power scheme to power saver and the hybrid engine?

Having a think, what mode or speed would the 1000HE be running with NO hybrid engine installed?

Any help would be great. :-)

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
DrZ
Level :
Tech Points : 2133
Posted:11/6/2009 9:19:00 PM # 2

Quote:
Author: DJAd Posted: 11/6/2009 6:58:00 PM

Windows 7 has 3 default power schemes. "Balanced", "Power saver" and "High performance".

How do these work when the ASUS Super Hybrid Engine is installed? (SHE v2.09)

To get full power does Windows need to be set to high performance AND the hybrid engine? or does the hybrid engine take care of everything?

The same to preserve battery life, do I need to change the windows power scheme to power saver and the hybrid engine?

Having a think, what mode or speed would the 1000HE be running with NO hybrid engine installed?

Any help would be great. :-)

I tested my 900ha without the SHE.  I got 1.6gHz which is the factory numbers for the N270.  With the SHE... I am all the way up to 1.67gHz...lol.  If you want to find out what happens to your machine...with / without SHE....with the different power schemes running... go download CPU-Z.  That will give you the information... infact it will give you more information than you are interested in having.

The link is... http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

Best Regards,
DrZ

Old Guy. EPc 1201N (Win 7, 4gB RAM). Panasonic toughbook with Windoze XP Pro and Suse Linux. Hand built Power machine with Quad core, 16gB memory, 2TB hard drive, Dual 1gB video Cards, Running XpPro and Unix. Research Engineer with close to 40 yrs experience working on and with computers....guess that makes me an old geek and if not a geek.... just cussed old!

Posted:11/6/2009 11:15:00 PM # 3
Thanks DrZ I will check it out. It's more the battery life and how it changes that I'm interested in.

DrZ
Level :
Tech Points : 2133
Posted:11/6/2009 11:42:00 PM # 4

Quote:
Author: DJAd Posted: 11/6/2009 11:15:00 PM

Thanks DrZ I will check it out. It's more the battery life and how it changes that I'm interested in.

Sadly I don't have my machine here with me today but I can tell you everything slows down in the lowest mode.  To get the longest battery life.... Asus wants you to reduce the screen intensity to 40%, turn off WLAN and Bluetooth, and something else .... I don't remember currently.  So to maximize your battery life.... you no longer have a computer.... you have a dim LCD photo frame.

Best Regards,
DrZ

Old Guy. EPc 1201N (Win 7, 4gB RAM). Panasonic toughbook with Windoze XP Pro and Suse Linux. Hand built Power machine with Quad core, 16gB memory, 2TB hard drive, Dual 1gB video Cards, Running XpPro and Unix. Research Engineer with close to 40 yrs experience working on and with computers....guess that makes me an old geek and if not a geek.... just cussed old!
GP
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 35
Posted:11/10/2009 9:20:00 AM # 5
C'mon DrZ!

I fly (for work) and on the plane I dim the screen, turn all radios off (a must these days) and away I go with pdf, word, excel etc: I can do a lot with 7hrs battery time (actually got that and had some spare), now that's a lot of productivity time!!!

Can't do that with my 12" digital photo frame we got in the family room LOL ;-)

Main Rig: P8Z68-V Pro BIOS 3304, i5-2500K@4.3GHz, 16GB PC3-12800CL9, Antec HCP-750, 2 x 560GT 1GB in SLI + iPad 3 16GB

Posted:11/15/2009 1:29:00 PM # 6
Yeah it doesn't really answer my question.

I just wanted to know if the SHE is really needed when Win 7 has it's own power management settings.

I was thinking the SHE might clash with the built in power management, or does it take control of it?

Militante
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 3
Posted:11/16/2009 2:32:00 PM # 7
Sir,

My 1000he only runs at 1060.7 Mhz  +- at super performance mode not 1.6 that you have mentioned. how can i increase its speed

Posted:11/16/2009 4:06:00 PM # 8
What about when running a video or something?

Use CPUZ to monitor the speed, then launch something processor hungry. It should jump up to just over 1600 when under pressure.

Healy
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:11/21/2009 6:58:00 AM # 9
DJAd: Yes, I'd like to know as well -- a direct answer to the question.

ASUS 1005HA

On 11-26-2009 I received this reply from Customer Service: Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service. The SHE utility and Power Management are two different kinds of power application. The default power management settings on the windows OS, generally, only controls how long to dim the display, turn off the display and put the computer to sleep, when the unit isn't used. However, the SHE utility can manage the power via controlling the CPU operating speed. For example, when you select the super performance mode in the SHE application, the CPU will operate under a top speed. Of couse, it will take the most power. If it is convenience, you can visit the Manual of Eee PC to get more detailed information about SHE utility. Also, you can enter the Power Options in the WIndows 7 OS to get more detailed information about the default power management settings.

Posted:11/29/2009 1:58:00 PM # 10
Thanks for the info Healy.

I didn't have SHE installed on my Windows 7 partition as I was trying without it. I think I will install it again now.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: HHC New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.