ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Eee Family > Eee PC 1000HE  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Elantech Smart-Pad Tab & Help Files in Thai New Topic
ThaiGuy
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:6/1/2009 10:19:00 PM # 1
I bought my Eee PC 1000HE in Thailand. It is my first computer, so please be patient.

The Elantech tab in "mouse properties" shows I have ETDWare PS/2-x86 7.0.3.12 for XP WHQL driver installed (Windows XP control panel add/remove hardware shows that file to be 3.42 MB). Everything else on the Elantech tab is only question marks like "???????".

When I double-click the Elantech icon in the tab, the Elantech Smart-Pad window opens. In the left side-bar of that window, all the text under the "how-to" pictures is also question marks "???????". All the help text is in Thai.

How do I get the Elantech tab buttons and the Elantech Smart-Pad window's help text in English?

Asus Support advised me to download the touchpad driver from their support site. I see one driver is Version V7.0.3.12 (16.46 MB) and another driver is V 7.0.4.3 (3.98 MB). Why such the difference in size between the 2 driver versions?

If I download one or both of these drivers, will everything for the Smart-Pad then be in English? Do I need to download one or both? If only one, which one? Do I need to uninstall anything first?

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
DrZ
Level :
Tech Points : 2133
Posted:6/1/2009 10:25:00 PM # 2

Quote:
Author: ThaiGuy Posted: 6/1/2009 10:19:00 PM

I bought my Eee PC 1000HE in Thailand. It is my first computer, so please be patient.

The Elantech tab in "mouse properties" shows I have ETDWare PS/2-x86 7.0.3.12 for XP WHQL driver installed (Windows XP control panel add/remove hardware shows that file to be 3.42 MB). Everything else on the Elantech tab is only question marks like "???????".

When I double-click the Elantech icon in the tab, the Elantech Smart-Pad window opens. In the left side-bar of that window, all the text under the "how-to" pictures is also question marks "???????". All the help text is in Thai.

How do I get the Elantech tab buttons and the Elantech Smart-Pad window's help text in English?

Asus Support advised me to download the touchpad driver from their support site. I see one driver is Version V7.0.3.12 (16.46 MB) and another driver is V 7.0.4.3 (3.98 MB). Why such the difference in size between the 2 driver versions?

If I download one or both of these drivers, will everything for the Smart-Pad then be in English? Do I need to download one or both? If only one, which one? Do I need to uninstall anything first?

If you download updates for your machine ALWAYS take the newest version.... in this case the version V7.0.4.3  This one is larger because it incorporates whatever changes were in V7.0.3.12 and the additional changes in the next one.  Typically you do not need to uninstall the one that is on there since it is an update.  Download it and execute it. 

Hard to tell if it will be in English.  You must make sure everything on your machine is set to English.

Give it a shot and let us know.

Best Regards,
DrZ

Old Guy. EPc 1201N (Win 7, 4gB RAM). Panasonic toughbook with Windoze XP Pro and Suse Linux. Hand built Power machine with Quad core, 16gB memory, 2TB hard drive, Dual 1gB video Cards, Running XpPro and Unix. Research Engineer with close to 40 yrs experience working on and with computers....guess that makes me an old geek and if not a geek.... just cussed old!
ThaiGuy
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:6/1/2009 11:28:00 PM # 3
Quote:
Author: DrZ Posted: 6/1/2009 10:25:00 PM

Quote:
Author: ThaiGuy Posted: 6/1/2009 10:19:00 PM

If you download updates for your machine ALWAYS take the newest version.... in this case the version V7.0.4.3  This one is larger because it incorporates whatever changes were in V7.0.3.12 and the additional changes in the next one.  Typically you do not need to uninstall the one that is on there since it is an update.  Download it and execute it. 

Hard to tell if it will be in English.  You must make sure everything on your machine is set to English.

Give it a shot and let us know.

Best Regards,
DrZ

ThaiGuy
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:6/2/2009 12:46:00 AM # 4
Thank you for the fast response. I downloaded the touchpad driver version v 7.0.4.3 (3.98 MB) dated 2009/2/18 and now everything is in English (except for a part about the magnifier feature, which is in Dutch for som reason).

The other driver available for download, v 7.0.3.12 (16.46 MB) dated 2009/1/22 would be the older version, wouldn't it?

If v 7.0.4.3 is indeed the newer version, why is it only 1/4 the size (3.98 MB vs. 16.46 MB) of the older version? Or am I misunderstanding things?

Thanks again, and again please be patient as I'm just a newbie.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.