Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Eee Family > Eee PC 1000HA/XP  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Netbook freezes after 10-15 minutes New Topic
Coye
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:6/1/2010 3:21:00 AM # 1
Hi all, I have an issue with my netbook and hopefully someone can be of help. I have an Asus EEE PC 1000HA with Windows XP Home SP3 installed. I haven't used the computer for much of anything since I bought it, mostly just as something to take with me on trips and occasionally use out and about. I'd been impressed with its functionality, up until several months ago. I originally thought it was a software problem, but now I'm thinking it may be a hardware issue--if the mods think this topic belongs elsewhere, feel free to move this.

For some reason, my netbook now freezes after being on for 15 minutes or so. When it freezes, I still am able to move the mouse cursor around the screen, but the buttons and the keyboard both become unresponsive. The only way I can shut down is with a cold power down. When it first happened, it was shortly after a Firefox update. Thinking it might be related to that, I tried using an older version of FF, as well as Chrome and Explorer. No dice. I also had a trojan at one point, and was able to remove it with Malwarebytes (it was one of those that deleted mbam.exe though and I had to get a renamed .exe in order to run Malwarebytes, so I wouldn't be surprised if the trojan is still hanging out somewhere). Through some probably misguided Google searching, I saw suggestions to try reinstalling the wireless drivers. I tried this, and ended up screwing up the wireless somehow so that there was NO wireless capability. I did a system restore to the earliest date I could, before the issues started happening which is from January. I was hoping this would solve the problem, but to no avail.

I should mention that this is my first non-desktop PC, so I'm not altogether familiar with the quirks of laptops/netbooks. I know heat can be an issue for portables, but I try to make sure I always use mine on a nice flat surface for easy ventilation. I did, however, notice on the bottom of the computer, that one of the plastic panels was popped out a little bit, kind of like if someone tried to take it off without taking out the screws first. I don't know how that happened, but I popped it back in.

I've mostly used this computer for surfing the net, but also a bit of word processing (Open Office), movie watching (VLC), and a few simple games through Steam.

TIA for any help, if there's pertinent info I've left out, please let me know and I'll answer as best I can.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Nikita
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 395
Posted:6/1/2010 3:40:00 AM # 2

Quote:
Author: Coye Posted: 6/1/2010 3:21:00 AM

Hi all, I have an issue with my netbook and hopefully someone can be of help. I have an Asus EEE PC 1000HA with Windows XP Home SP3 installed. I haven't used the computer for much of anything since I bought it, mostly just as something to take with me on trips and occasionally use out and about. I'd been impressed with its functionality, up until several months ago. I originally thought it was a software problem, but now I'm thinking it may be a hardware issue--if the mods think this topic belongs elsewhere, feel free to move this.

For some reason, my netbook now freezes after being on for 15 minutes or so. When it freezes, I still am able to move the mouse cursor around the screen, but the buttons and the keyboard both become unresponsive. The only way I can shut down is with a cold power down. When it first happened, it was shortly after a Firefox update. Thinking it might be related to that, I tried using an older version of FF, as well as Chrome and Explorer. No dice. I also had a trojan at one point, and was able to remove it with Malwarebytes (it was one of those that deleted mbam.exe though and I had to get a renamed .exe in order to run Malwarebytes, so I wouldn't be surprised if the trojan is still hanging out somewhere). Through some probably misguided Google searching, I saw suggestions to try reinstalling the wireless drivers. I tried this, and ended up screwing up the wireless somehow so that there was NO wireless capability. I did a system restore to the earliest date I could, before the issues started happening which is from January. I was hoping this would solve the problem, but to no avail.

I should mention that this is my first non-desktop PC, so I'm not altogether familiar with the quirks of laptops/netbooks. I know heat can be an issue for portables, but I try to make sure I always use mine on a nice flat surface for easy ventilation. I did, however, notice on the bottom of the computer, that one of the plastic panels was popped out a little bit, kind of like if someone tried to take it off without taking out the screws first. I don't know how that happened, but I popped it back in.

I've mostly used this computer for surfing the net, but also a bit of word processing (Open Office), movie watching (VLC), and a few simple games through Steam.

TIA for any help, if there's pertinent info I've left out, please let me know and I'll answer as best I can.

The only way to really know if it's a hardware problem is to do a System Restore (hitting F9 after powering up) and after that see if the machine still has the freezing up problem. Restoring your system wipes your drive and restores your Eee to factory default

First disable BootBooster and Quiet Boot in the BIOS (hitting F2 after powering up).

Forum Current time zone offset: UTC/GMT +8 hours -- My Current time zone offset: UTC/GMT +2 hours
Coye
Level :
Posted:6/1/2010 5:42:00 AM # 3
Thanks for the advice Nikita, however F9 doesn't appear to do anything.  I tried looking in the System Restore menu in XP, but didn't see anything to restore to factory settings, only back to January 2010. 

Nikita
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 395
Posted:6/2/2010 4:36:00 AM # 4
The F9 Restore is completely different from that of WinXP.

Do you have the ASUS Restore DVD? If you do, us that to do a System Restore.

Forum Current time zone offset: UTC/GMT +8 hours -- My Current time zone offset: UTC/GMT +2 hours
Coye
Level :
Posted:6/2/2010 10:45:00 PM # 5
I figured you might be referring to a different restore than the XP one.  I may have that disc, I'll have to hunt down my original box and see if its in there (I'm at work right now).  However, since this is a netbook, there's no optical drive so I'm not sure how that'd work?  I tried to make a bootable USB drive earlier to run a test, but didn't have much luck with that. 

Coye
Level :
Posted:6/3/2010 10:42:00 PM # 6
Bump.

I looked in the box last night, and I do indeed have the disc from Asus, but don't know what to do with it.  :-/

dersonpg
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/23/2010 1:47:00 AM # 7

Hello!

I am facing a similar problem and would like your help. I bought the Eee PC 1004DN and with only two weeks of use began to present problems: every time you use it along with the external power source and turn on the outlet, the machine hangs immediately. When used only with the battery without external power supply, it works normally and without presenting any eventuality. The problem only happens when I use the device with external power supply, with or without the battery. Already formatted the machine, updated the BIOS, reinstalled all the updated drivers and the problem persists. Also tested the power supply in another netbook and did not show any problem. I tested the source in another netbook and presented no problems. Would you like an orientation about the case.

Grateful.

PS: I apologize for my poor English because I live in Brazil.

bibia
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:7/28/2010 1:57:00 AM # 8

Quote:
Author: Coye Posted: 6/1/2010 3:21:00 AM

same problem here a month ago.
mine solved by changing the RAM to my spare RAM (it was from my previous dead lapyop).
the problem is disappear now.
try that! borrow ur friend's RAM, if u're not sure to buy it. :)

last problem i have until now, i can't turn-on the monitor (with Fn + F7) if i turned it off with the same shortcut keys (Fn + F7).

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.