Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Eee Family > Eee PC 1000HA/XP  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]corrupted anti-virus installer files New Topic
SkyCloud
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:5/23/2009 6:18:00 AM # 1

I have read/heard that a computer should have a firewall, anti-virus, and spyware removal applications.  I have been using an Asus netbook about 3 days now.

I downloaded installer files from www.download.com, www.softpedia.com, and other web sites like filehippo.com, brothersoft.com, and the publishers.

For a firewall app, I wanted to use ZoneAlarm.  On installing the ZA installer file, Asus netbook stopped in the middle and said that the file was corrupted.  I downloaded another ZA installer file.  Asus installed the second ZA file.

For a spyware removal app, I tried Spybot Search & Destroy.   On installing the SBSR installer file, Asus netbook did nothing.  There was no installation.  I downloaded another copy of SBSR installer file.  On installing the 2nd SBSR installer file, Asus netbook stopped in the middle and said that the sqlite3.dll file was corrupted. I downloaded another SBSR installer file from a different web site.  Again, on installing the 3rd SBSR installer file, Asus netbook stopped in the middle and said that the sqlite3.dll file was corrupted.  I tried several more times. and Asus netbook did not allow the installation.

For an anti-virus app, I tried the free editions of AVG and Avira.  Each time I tried a different installer file downloaded from a different web site.  The results were all the same.  Asus netbook said during the middle of the installation process that the installer file or several installer files were corrupted.

So, my Asus netbook has no anti-virus and no spyware removal applications.

Any suggestions on how to install free anti-virus and free spyware removal application on the Asus netbook?

Any ideas on what the problem could be  --  such as a bad broadband cable connection (Charter), nearly all installers already corrupted by spammers, need to update an Asus netbook driver?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
DrZ
Level :
Tech Points : 2133
Posted:5/23/2009 11:47:00 AM # 2

Quote:
Author: SkyCloud Posted: 5/23/2009 6:18:00 AM

I have read/heard that a computer should have a firewall, anti-virus, and spyware removal applications.  I have been using an Asus netbook about 3 days now.

I downloaded installer files from www.download.com, www.softpedia.com, and other web sites like filehippo.com, brothersoft.com, and the publishers.

For a firewall app, I wanted to use ZoneAlarm.  On installing the ZA installer file, Asus netbook stopped in the middle and said that the file was corrupted.  I downloaded another ZA installer file.  Asus installed the second ZA file.

For a spyware removal app, I tried Spybot Search & Destroy.   On installing the SBSR installer file, Asus netbook did nothing.  There was no installation.  I downloaded another copy of SBSR installer file.  On installing the 2nd SBSR installer file, Asus netbook stopped in the middle and said that the sqlite3.dll file was corrupted. I downloaded another SBSR installer file from a different web site.  Again, on installing the 3rd SBSR installer file, Asus netbook stopped in the middle and said that the sqlite3.dll file was corrupted.  I tried several more times. and Asus netbook did not allow the installation.

For an anti-virus app, I tried the free editions of AVG and Avira.  Each time I tried a different installer file downloaded from a different web site.  The results were all the same.  Asus netbook said during the middle of the installation process that the installer file or several installer files were corrupted.

So, my Asus netbook has no anti-virus and no spyware removal applications.

Any suggestions on how to install free anti-virus and free spyware removal application on the Asus netbook?

Any ideas on what the problem could be  --  such as a bad broadband cable connection (Charter), nearly all installers already corrupted by spammers, need to update an Asus netbook driver?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sky,
When my Eee Pc has XP on it...which is only occasionally... I use:

AVG Free for my Virus Scanner
AdAware for my spyware software
Microsoft Firewall (which in conjunction with my router's firewall is quite enough)

To me...anything more than that is overkill.  I am continuously on the Internet and have not found anything that those two have not been able to handle....Plus... I like the price...FREE!

Best Regards,
DrZ

Old Guy. EPc 1201N (Win 7, 4gB RAM). Panasonic toughbook with Windoze XP Pro and Suse Linux. Hand built Power machine with Quad core, 16gB memory, 2TB hard drive, Dual 1gB video Cards, Running XpPro and Unix. Research Engineer with close to 40 yrs experience working on and with computers....guess that makes me an old geek and if not a geek.... just cussed old!
SkyCloud
Level :
Posted:5/25/2009 6:02:00 AM # 3
Thanks for the response.

I will try AdAware, instead of Spybot Search and Destroy.

Any suggestion on how I can install AVG on my Asus Eee PC 1000HA with XP operating system?

DrZ
Level :
Tech Points : 2133
Posted:5/25/2009 10:30:00 AM # 4

Quote:
Author: SkyCloud Posted: 5/25/2009 6:02:00 AM
Thanks for the response.

I will try AdAware, instead of Spybot Search and Destroy.

Any suggestion on how I can install AVG on my Asus Eee PC 1000HA with XP operating system?

Sky,
Avg Free is designed for WinDoze.  Just google it and find the download sight.   Instead of saving, just tell it to run.  Answer questions and you will be fine.

Best Regards,
DrZ

Old Guy. EPc 1201N (Win 7, 4gB RAM). Panasonic toughbook with Windoze XP Pro and Suse Linux. Hand built Power machine with Quad core, 16gB memory, 2TB hard drive, Dual 1gB video Cards, Running XpPro and Unix. Research Engineer with close to 40 yrs experience working on and with computers....guess that makes me an old geek and if not a geek.... just cussed old!
SkyCloud
Level :
Posted:6/5/2009 5:10:00 AM # 5

I downloaded Spybot Search & Destroy for the 10th time and trying www.download.com as the source for the 4th time.

Finally, the Asus Eee PC 1000HA/XP netbook allowed it to install.

But, AVG anti-virus free edition just would not install, without Asus saying the installer file is "corrupt".

With only a firewall (ZoneAlarm), spyware remover (SuperAntiSpyware), and an anti-spyware detector (Spybot Search and Destroy) up and running on the Asus netbook, I tried downloading AVG again.  This has only taken TWO WEEKS of constant effort.

I tried www.download.com as the source site again.

Finally, the Asus netbook allowed it to install.

I do not know what has been causing this problem with installing applications.  I guess repeated effort is necessary.  I guess that computers are too fickle for almost any number of reasons.

Now on to the next problems with the Asus netbook.

Regards.

Gadget
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 38
Posted:6/6/2009 6:54:00 PM # 6

Skycloud,

I think you might have provided a hint about what's been causing your problem.  It looks like you had ZoneAlarm (which is more than a firewall) running while trying to load AVG (another virus program) and other apps. 

First, it's always a good idea to scan any downloaded file with whatever virus program you're running but then disconnect from the Internet (just toggle your Wi-Fi off) and shut down the virus program while installing the application.  Also be sure you don't have anything else running in background during the install.

I really don't think it's the netbook causing your issues.  It 'could' be the operating system but far more likely it's something you have running that's caused your installation problems.  Run "Task Manager" and see what's running both as an app and under the "Processes" tab. 

Cheers

Asus 1000HA/XP, 2gigs RAM, Modified Keyboard
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.