ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Eee Family > Eee PC 1000H/XP  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]how to boot from USB? New Topic
valta
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:5/7/2009 5:22:00 PM # 1
Hi!

I bought recently this ASUS Eee PC 1000H with Windows XP preinstalled on it to my wife. I would like to demo her the easiness of Linux ( a light version fitting for minilaptops like this one)  over XP and therefore would like to "install" Linux (some Ubuntu netbook remix maybe? or something else like easypiece?

I did already make a flash USB install stick but then I ran into an embarassing problem.... how to boot from it!!!?  It seems this laptop has a quick mind. As soon as I push the power button on the thing shows already WIN screen and it is too late to push any F2 or similar button. I checked that one time I got to BIOS that the boot sequence actually list as first boot source a "removable disk" or similar, only second one was hard drive. The third was also odd... a CD. But these machines dont even have CD players???

How do I get the USB (it seems to be in order, every time I push it into home computer it tries to start an installation ....to boot?  

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
DrZ
Level :
Tech Points : 2133
Posted:5/7/2009 8:16:00 PM # 2

Quote:
Author: valta Posted: 5/7/2009 5:22:00 PM

Hi!

I bought recently this ASUS Eee PC 1000H with Windows XP preinstalled on it to my wife. I would like to demo her the easiness of Linux ( a light version fitting for minilaptops like this one)  over XP and therefore would like to "install" Linux (some Ubuntu netbook remix maybe? or something else like easypiece?

I did already make a flash USB install stick but then I ran into an embarassing problem.... how to boot from it!!!?  It seems this laptop has a quick mind. As soon as I push the power button on the thing shows already WIN screen and it is too late to push any F2 or similar button. I checked that one time I got to BIOS that the boot sequence actually list as first boot source a "removable disk" or similar, only second one was hard drive. The third was also odd... a CD. But these machines dont even have CD players???

How do I get the USB (it seems to be in order, every time I push it into home computer it tries to start an installation ....to boot?  

Valta,
Plug in your USB flash and hit the power button.  As soon as you hit the power button, start tapping the ESC key.  This will bring up a window that shows you two or three boot locations.  Select the USB flash or something it says similar and it should start your installation.

Then impress the wife.
Best Regards,
DrZ

Old Guy. EPc 1201N (Win 7, 4gB RAM). Panasonic toughbook with Windoze XP Pro and Suse Linux. Hand built Power machine with Quad core, 16gB memory, 2TB hard drive, Dual 1gB video Cards, Running XpPro and Unix. Research Engineer with close to 40 yrs experience working on and with computers....guess that makes me an old geek and if not a geek.... just cussed old!
Wilco
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 47
Posted:5/8/2009 3:31:00 PM # 3
style="text-align: left;" id="result_box" dir="ltr">Use the reset option at the bottom of your 1000H is, and then just pressed ESC, then it is not necessary to tap!

Greetz..

jokeserv
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:11/27/2010 1:59:00 AM # 4
hi im having similar problem and still cant boot from the usb... :(

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.