Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Eee Family > Eee PC 1000H/XP  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Others]XP recovery without a DVD drive? New Topic
crsh
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:8/18/2008 2:46:00 AM # 1
I installed Eeebuntu on my 1000H/XP a week ago and figured I can't make very good use of it (no patience for command line-meddling), so I'm just going to restore XP.

Here's my problem though, I don't have a USB DVD drive handy, is there a way to use a USB flash drive instead? I've googled a bit and there's plenty of info on how to install XP from scratch, but I haven't found much on using a recovery DVD such as the one that came with my Eee.

Is it feasible to copy the content of the DVD onto a bootable flash drive and just let it restore the default XP installation?

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Colulus
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:8/19/2008 9:07:00 PM # 2
I have taken cd/dvd's and copied them to flash drive and  then install them onto the xp system. If you want to boot from flash you need to build the flash to be bootable. The recovery disk for the 1000 is not an xp disk, it is a preinstall xp version that uses norton ghost.

I bought an external DVD drive for a similar reason, it was easier than creating a bootable flash.

Nono
Level :
Tech Points : 3
Posted:8/23/2008 6:23:00 AM # 3

Hello,

you can use an USB key that has a U3 capability.

Then, if you have an ISO of XP or whatever, follow the following steps:

http://www.msfn.org/board/Install-XP-from-USB-the-easy-way-with-t121502.html&pid=785957&mode=threaded#entry785957
(read all the post not only the first one)

You may need to enter ASUS bios pressing ESC at start-up in order to boot to your USB drive.

Caution : if you want to use DVD iso you need a 8Gig flash drive (4Gig is too small).

Of course, you can also buy an USB CD/DVD drive, it will be more simple.
USB DVD Drive ~ 50e,
USB U3 2G ~ 10e,
USB U3 4Gig ~ 20e,
USB U3 8Gig ~ 35e.

Edit 08/25/2008
I tried what I said with a 2G U3 drive containing XP Pro full ISO from MSDN.
Boot was ok, press ESC to choose the USB-CD emulated drive.
Install of windows started and then Blue Screen Of Death before selecting partition.
So for 1000H you need to add the Intel Matrix driver http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=2101&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Professional&lang=eng&strOSs=44&submit=Go%21 (you can use the one given with your EEEPC).
Addind those driver can be done in many ways :
- with an USB floppy drive (I used this solution)
- using a streamed NLite version of XP with you driver added (I used this solution with standard station using RAID)
- using an other USB driver (not tested)
You can mount this driver, while stating XP installation you need to press F6, and after this everything was fine.

moki
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:8/23/2008 10:22:00 AM # 4
Thanks for that info Nono.
Before I bought a USB DVD burner, I used a USB drive enclosure bought off eBay with an old IDE CD burner in it - worked well!

NEW 900HA XP, my 701 is now running Linux again.
Cooper
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:9/26/2008 6:10:00 AM # 5
If you have another computer with an optical drive and a home network (router or wireless router) you can use the other computer's drive.  Just set the drive to share mode under properties and make sure that the workgroup name is identical in the System properties.

barbino
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:9/26/2008 8:00:00 AM # 6
heya cooper

this sounds just like the thing I need, as I also got stranded with a failed linux installation on my 1000H and would love to return into the fold of XP, alas, no external DVD drive for the EEE, but I run a desktop with VISTA that has a DVD drive!

my question now, if you are willing to help me out of my misery, which would go well appreciated: the EEE now runs with Ubuntu EEE off an USB stick, but otherwise is immune to any other attempts with anything ... how can I get the stuff from my Vista running desktop's DVD onto the EEE? I have a wireless network, but also could plug in the EEE into the router, so it could access the data needed for the recovery - but I am not sure about settings for setting the DVD drive to share - can you, or anyone help me with that?

Cooper
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:9/27/2008 2:15:00 AM # 7
Here is a great how to on networking. Perform the sharing tasks for your dvd drive like it says about sharing a folder and it should work fine.

http://computershopper.com/networking/howto/network-your-computers

Damanik
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:9/29/2008 9:29:00 AM # 8
I just buy IDE to USB cable adapter, it's cheap compared to external DVD drive...only around USD 9.

And then I took out my DVD drive from my PC and connect it with IDE to USB cable (power supply cable was also included in the package). Hope it helps.

eeehut
Level :
Posted:2/26/2009 3:30:00 AM # 9

It was quite easy to use a 4GB SD card if you have one. Just follow the instructions at the link:

http://myeeeguides.wordpress.com/2008/10/15/eee-pc-1000h-recovery-from-usb-flash-drive/

After it is all done, just press ESC at bootup and select the USB drive.

DEREK
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:2/26/2009 2:38:00 PM # 10

No, impossbile.. it will not work for refoamett and restore,---If you copied it from recovery/restore CD into FlashDrive or Blank CD--..Techquine, EEE's code bio can read the factory EEE Disc only can restore your eee pc.. You must have an external drive, then use the factory EEE CD for restore your PC.. Because I did have experince that before...  Dont make to waste your times.. ;o)

I suggest you get xbox 360 HD dvd from ebay for 20 to 40 bucks.. isnot that cheap price?

EeePC 1000HD - PNY 2GB PC2-5300 667MHz DDR2 - 120GB SATA HDD - XP SP3
1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: HHC New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.