ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Eee Family > Eee PC 1000/Linux  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]touchpad is too sensitive, "buttons" to rigid? New Topic
Elton
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 10
Posted:2/13/2009 6:26:00 AM # 1
I don't have very large hands. Yet I find that very often, just moving my finger across the touchpad, it starts copying and creating copies of files here and there!! FORTUNATELY the default action is 'copy' and not 'move' otherwise I'd have a real mess here.  >-(

I find that going into the settings items, and reducing sensitivity to extremely low (from the default) seems to help, but not very much.

OTH, clicking on the right or left buttons requires some force, and results in a pretty sore thumb! :-(  My workaround is to use an external mouse, but this means that you need a surface for 'mousing around' and this tends to defeat the ease of using the machine on your lap, knees, or other surface that does not provide sufficient space for a mouse.

IMHO, using an external trackball, would be 'overkill'. I have to give Asus negative points for this "flaw" in the hardware design (compared to the much softer touch of the "button" on the touchpad of my Apple Mac powerbook).

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
You only live once, so let's make life easier for each other.
Elmo
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 9
Posted:2/14/2009 9:50:00 AM # 2
Touchpads are evil!  But compared to other notebook pointer control options, they are less evil.  Fortunately this is not my main computer -- just an auxiliary.  So I put up with it.  In the past, faced with the pencil eraser in the middle of the keyboard and the built-in trackball, I've opted to carry a mouse along. 

As for the buttons... I kind of like the fact that they don't press themselves.  My thumb is able to click them while my finger does the dragging, etc. on the touchpad.  I guess it's a matter of expectations.  I didn't expect more than what I paid for.

jdoyle
Level :
Tech Points : 1074
Posted:2/14/2009 12:37:00 PM # 3
Use a wireless travel mouse.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826169017

JD

White 900A Linux 1.6 Atom, 1GB RAM, 32GB Patriot SSD, Full KDE
Elton
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:2/15/2009 4:33:00 AM # 4
Thanks for the suggestion. I had actually already acquired a USB wireless mouse here in Montreal. It was purchased from Maxi & Cie (a large supermarket chain) for about CAD #9.00. The nice feature of this  mouse is that the USB key fits within the body of the mouse itself, and acts as a switch to turn off the batteries when the mouse is not connected to the computer.

Adhikari
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:3/5/2009 11:48:00 AM # 5
At the begining I was also annoyed by the over sensitive touchpad. But after I uninstall the touchpad application from Control panel > Add/Remove Programs, the touch pad is much better now! I think it's the software issue not the hardware. Still not a very great touchpad though. I hope this helps.

Elton
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/5/2009 12:02:00 PM # 6

Quote:
Author: Adhikari Posted: 3/5/2009 11:48:00 AM

At the begining I was also annoyed by the over sensitive touchpad. But after I uninstall the touchpad application from Control panel > Add/Remove Programs, the touch pad is much better now! I think it's the software issue not the hardware. Still not a very great touchpad though. I hope this helps.

Interesting to know. However, I am unable to test your "theory" as I've replaced Xandros with Ubuntu for the EEE PC ("Easy Peasy"). It's a much better distro.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.