Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Eee Family > Eee PC S101/XP  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Sharing]ASUS S101 - Windows 7 + Other Tips New Topic
Mike G
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:2/28/2010 8:52:00 PM # 1

I recently purchased an ASUS Eee PC S101 (Windows XP) and decided that I would like to install Windows 7 (Home Premium) before starting to use it properly. Whilst investigating whether the machine would be capable of running Windows 7 and what might be involved, I learned quite a lot about the S101. Whilst making notes for my own benefit, I began to realise that they could also be of interest to others. Hopefully they will prove useful to you and help save some time when upgrading your own machine.

If you are feeling particularly adventurous you will probably be able to find newer drivers on the manufacturer websites. However, you should consider the possibility that newer drivers may not have any benefits on your hardware and may even cause problems. For this reason, I have gone for the “safe” approach of using drivers from the ASUS website.

Also included in this guide are details about how you can create a bootable USB stick or SD card, useful if you do not have an external DVD drive that connects via USB. I also describe how you can use the ASUS XP Support DVD to restore your machine to the original Windows XP image and how to use the embedded copy of Symantec Ghost 11.0 to make backups of your SSD.

All of the preparation was done on my Dell Inspiron 1520 with Windows XP installed.

Finally, these instructions may also apply to other models in the ASUS Eee PC range but you may need to find alternative drivers from the ASUS support website.

The latest version of this guide is available from my home page:
http://www.mikeg.me.uk/guides/asus_eee_pc_s101.pdf

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Barry1980
Level :
Tech Points : 3
Posted:8/14/2010 6:29:00 PM # 2
Hello. I recently installed Windows 7 on my s101 as well. I noticed after the install that some of the hotkeys do not work any longer, for example volume + - and mute. Were you able to fix this with your install?

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.