Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Eee Family > Eee PC 1005HAB  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Keep Losing Internet Connectivity New Topic
Barb
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:5/13/2010 11:22:00 AM # 1
We have an ASUS notebook and 2 ASUS Eee PC netbooks. We connect to the internet using Alltel Wireless and a Cradlepoint router. We do not experience any connectivity issues with the notebook. However, the two netbooks constantly display the Web Page Cannot be Displayed message. Also, we always have MSN Messenger signed in. I know when I lose connectivity because MSN Messenger drops the connection and tries to reconnect. This seems to happen when the computer is idle for even less than a minute, for example while reading an email. If we look at our internet access, it says it's still connected. The only way to get by this is to disconnect the router and then reconnect it. Can anyone offer any suggestions? It's so frustrating that noone wants to use the netbooks. I appreciate any help I can get.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
wayne
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 362
Posted:5/13/2010 1:13:00 PM # 2
i think the first thing you could do is the understand more about your Cradlepoint router.
you could just go to their website and read about how to troubleshoot by looking at the router LED.

http://wipipe.com/knowledge-base/i-can-connect-router-i-am-not-getting-internet

here is just copy a few lines out of this website:
If you are connecting successfully to the router but not getting online check the following things:

1. The status light of your router to see if it is showing a successful connection to the Internet. Is this light green? Orange? If the light is green skip to bolded section of this page, otherwise see the following steps:

++++++++++

and probably just upgrade the router firmware, depending on your model you click appropriate link and download firmware, use the web page according to their procedure to upgrade firmware. normally this step would make your router in better shape.

Nikita
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 395
Posted:5/13/2010 7:14:00 PM # 3

Quote:
Author: Barb Posted: 5/13/2010 11:22:00 AM

We have an ASUS notebook and 2 ASUS Eee PC netbooks. We connect to the internet using Alltel Wireless and a Cradlepoint router. We do not experience any connectivity issues with the notebook. However, the two netbooks constantly display the Web Page Cannot be Displayed message. Also, we always have MSN Messenger signed in. I know when I lose connectivity because MSN Messenger drops the connection and tries to reconnect. This seems to happen when the computer is idle for even less than a minute, for example while reading an email. If we look at our internet access, it says it's still connected. The only way to get by this is to disconnect the router and then reconnect it. Can anyone offer any suggestions? It's so frustrating that noone wants to use the netbooks. I appreciate any help I can get.

I'd look at the exact Wlan settings of your notebook and copy them to the netbooks.
I'd turn off all power saving settings of ONE netbook to see if that helps.

What speed do your machines connect with to the router? /B /G or /N?

The Wlan cards of the netbooks can use /N but only 150Mhz due to lack of dual band and is known to have issues when using /N (different draft versions). Forcing them to use /G solves that.

Forum Current time zone offset: UTC/GMT +8 hours -- My Current time zone offset: UTC/GMT +2 hours
Barb
Level :
Posted:5/13/2010 11:22:00 PM # 4
We have been checking the lights on the router and all lights have been green.  We also upgraded the firmware and had to "downgrade" it since we were having so many problems with the newer version.  Do you think it could still be the router even though we have absolutely no connectivity issues with our notebook.  My son also has an Xbox 360 which he connects live and he does not experince frequent connectivity issues with it.  Thanks

Barb
Level :
Posted:5/13/2010 11:24:00 PM # 5

Quote:
Author: Nikita Posted: 5/13/2010 7:14:00 PM

I'd look at the exact Wlan settings of your notebook and copy them to the netbooks.
I'd turn off all power saving settings of ONE netbook to see if that helps.

What speed do your machines connect with to the router? /B /G or /N?

The Wlan cards of the netbooks can use /N but only 150Mhz due to lack of dual band and is known to have issues when using /N (different draft versions). Forcing them to use /G solves that.

I'm not that experienced with this kind of stuff.  How do I access the Wlan setting on the notebook and netbooks?  And how do I change the power settings?  I also do not know how to check which speed they use to connect to the router.  I really appreciate your assistance.  I simply don't know what to do.  Thanks

Nikita
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 395
Posted:5/14/2010 12:03:00 AM # 6
And normally everything should just work, you shouldn't have to know a lot about it. The point is, there's no easy fix. Your problem is identical on both netbooks, proving it's a certain setting on the netbooks that have to be altered. Obviously your notebook works as it should and that leeds to the conclusion that the settings on it are the ones you would "copy" to the netbooks.

I'm sorry but if you're not able to verify what I suggested I think I'd ask too much from you if I'd try to "talk" you through it. Maybe you have someone in the neighbourhood that knows his/her way around a PC. Let that person read these postings and try to help you.

Forum Current time zone offset: UTC/GMT +8 hours -- My Current time zone offset: UTC/GMT +2 hours
Barb
Level :
Posted:5/26/2010 10:44:00 AM # 7
New twist...I finally had some time to take the netbooks and connect to free wifi hotspots. I took them to a town nearby and was able to connect each one to a different network. One of the networks signal was low and the other was very low. I stayed in that location and surfed with both netbooks for almost an hour and a half and did not lose access to the internet with either of them. Wouldn't this indicate that the internal wifi on the netbooks is set up correctly. It leads me back to my router but I still don't understand why it would work fine with our laptop and xbox live but not with the netbooks. A computer guy at Best Buy suggested it might be the router or Alltel modem struggling with the operating system. The laptop is running Windows 7 and the netbooks are running Windows XP. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you. Barb

Stan
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 117
Posted:5/26/2010 11:13:00 AM # 8
Netbooks have been known to have this issue.  The problem often is a conflict between windows software that controls the wireless stuff and the software the netbook folks put on.

Often if you will delete (in control panel) the manufacturer software (Leaving the drivers if that option is available) and see if it works.

You might if this does not resolve the issue, check the netbook websites to see if there is an update for the wireless.

I've had three out of three netbooks have this problem.

wayne
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 362
Posted:5/26/2010 2:00:00 PM # 9
OK, this is second time for me on this subject, after reading through your posts and trying to understand your situation, i think i would do this to help you, one condition is you or your kid must be able to install a program in , run it and record some information which will become helpful for troubleshooting your connection issue with netbook.

As winXP and Win 7 are different in graphic user interface, to get some information it need you to click many things. so i do it this way, you probably just follow and record them:

1. go to this website, download this evaluation copy ( 30 day free use) of wireless monitoring program, it works on Win XP and Win 7.
http://www.passmark.com/products/wirelessmonitor.htm

2. Install in your home Notebook ( you said this one had NO problem surfing internet), then run the program. since this is evaluation, you do not have a key, so just click CONTINUE to run it,  it will automatically ( or by default) display a summary page, you just copy down all the relevant details such as SSID, MAC address, Strength, Speed (Mbits) frequency , Channel, and so on.

3. then on the left hand side, you see a menu, top is Summary, then follow by Statistic,Graph,IP connection,Map.
go click the IP connection, screen will show all details on your wireless adaptor. copy all the information, or print it for ease of reference

4. do step 2 and 3 also for your netbook.

now, just let me know the information on:
5. on Notebook,  what is the SSID, Strength, Auth type, Channel , Adapter description, Adapter IP address, Gateway Address, DHCP Enable, DHCP server, bandwidth

6. on netbook, what is the SSID, Strength, Auth type, Channel , Adapter description, Adapter IP address, Gateway Address, DHCP Enable, DHCP server, bandwidth

Quote:
Author: Barb Posted: 5/26/2010 10:44:00 AM

New twist...I finally had some time to take the netbooks and connect to free wifi hotspots. I took them to a town nearby and was able to connect each one to a different network. One of the networks signal was low and the other was very low. I stayed in that location and surfed with both netbooks for almost an hour and a half and did not lose access to the internet with either of them. Wouldn't this indicate that the internal wifi on the netbooks is set up correctly. It leads me back to my router but I still don't understand why it would work fine with our laptop and xbox live but not with the netbooks. A computer guy at Best Buy suggested it might be the router or Alltel modem struggling with the operating system. The laptop is running Windows 7 and the netbooks are running Windows XP. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you. Barb

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: HHC New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.