SEARCH
ASUS Member ID
Password
Forgot password?
Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Multimedia > O!Play HDP-R1  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Sharing]Trying to hide your equipment behind a wall? Creative use of door hardware New Topic
Morehouse
Level :
Tech Points : 6
Posted:3/15/2010 6:39:00 AM # 1
I bought my 24" HDMI monitor... my eSATA HDD... my Asus O!Play...  I was set!   I wanted a small TV in front of my gym equipment so I had something to keep my mind occupied whilst my body did its thing on the elliptical machine.

Initially, I had it set up on a coffee table while I waited for my wall mount to arrive.  It came on Friday and I went to work.

So first I put the wall mount up and mounted the TV and I loved the nice clean look.  But it wasn't long before dissappointment set in once I hooked everything else up and had a mess of wires and boxes strewn everywhere.

It just happens that the wall I was putting it on has an unfinished room on the other side - not that it is necessary, but it made the following much easier.

I poked a hole through the wall and fed the HDMI and TV power cable through and then hooked up everything else on the backside.  Perfect!  Right?  Wrong... how do I control it?  The O!Play's remote is IR and needs line of sight.  So I poked another small hole beneath the TV and lined up the O!Play's eye to it...  and it didn't work unless I was 6" away and pointing the remote DIRECTLY at the hole from dead ahead :(  That's no good!

So I got creative.  I went to the local Home Depot and bought a $4 door peephole and a 9/16" drill bit!  It worked perfectly and looks good too!  In fact, it works better than the O!Play by itself because a peephole is very wide angle so now it directs the IR beam from almost any angle and from a much further distance than would work before!

Notes:

In my case, of course, I had an unfinished space so I could put the hole and O!play wherever I wanted, allowing me to perfectly line it up very easily.  I found it worked best if I disassembled the O!play and removed the translucient face so I could really put the eye right up against the peephole.

Here's a picture showing the TV and the "eye" beneath it  No visible wires, boxes, etc!
Here's how it looks from the back (unfinished)
Here's a close up of the "eye"

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
wardog
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 47
Posted:3/16/2010 1:16:00 AM # 2
Ingenious !

asus guy
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 174
Posted:3/19/2010 11:18:00 PM # 3
Lol ^^

In my opinion not very nice, but 100 points for your creativity!

Morehouse
Level :
Posted:3/20/2010 3:14:00 AM # 4
Quote:
Author: wardog Posted: 3/16/2010 1:16:00 AM

Ingenious !

Thank you very much!

Quote:
Author: asus guy Posted: 3/19/2010 11:18:00 PM

Lol ^^

In my opinion not very nice, but 100 points for your creativity!

Hey, that's your call.  I can't see how I could have made it any "nicer".  No wires, no boxes, nothing... just the TV and a relatively inconspicuous circle carefully centered beneath the TV with a nickel plated bezel (ie. no rough hole).  From a regular standing height you don't see it anyway.  I took the picture from a very low angle deliberately so you could see it.

Since door peepholes are (probably?) standard in size, I'm sure I can find a nicer one if the shiny look is what you're referring to.  In that case, I agree.  I would have preferred black and/or a smaller bezel.  At home depot I had a choice of nickel and cheesy fake brass.  For $10 to $20 there are loads of options on the internet and someday I may bother (probably not).

- Steven

asus guy
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 174
Posted:3/20/2010 3:27:00 AM # 5
Yep, you got it.
If you attach that much importance to hide all the stuff like cables, i would spent i little more money for a peephole like this one: http://www.shop.baunox.de/images/749220.png

But like i said, it's a really great idea ^^ And the apperance is a question of every persons taste

Morehouse
Level :
Posted:3/20/2010 5:41:00 AM # 6
Yeah, I hear you.  There's actually loads to choose from on the Internet.  Of course the one I got wouldn't be my first choice, so I might get around to replacing it at some point.  Its not that bad though - the primary thing was getting rid of the cables.  Plus I had to try something to see if it would work! 
Quote:
Author: asus guy Posted: 3/20/2010 3:27:00 AM

Yep, you got it.
If you attach that much importance to hide all the stuff like cables, i would spent i little more money for a peephole like this one: http://www.shop.baunox.de/images/749220.png

But like i said, it's a really great idea ^^ And the apperance is a question of every persons taste

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.