ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Multimedia > O!Play HDP-R1  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Asus O!Play Not Recognizing External hard Drive New Topic
jasonelmore
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 4
Posted:10/24/2009 3:40:00 AM # 1
I've got a 500 GB  External hard drive that i'm trying to hook up to my newly bought Asus O!Play Multimedia Center.

I'm trying to update the firmware so i can stream over the network in windows 7.
The firmware upgrade instructions say to put the install.img file on a usb thumb drive, but i do not have a thumb drive, but i do have this external 500gb hard drive.

I've tried everything, putting the update file in the root directory even. I'm connecting through USB. The hard drive works fine in windows 7, it detects it, and I can do anything i want.

But the O!Play does not see it. my only options when i got to video, or pics, is Network, and It's asking for a user name and password every-time i try to connect through the network. I do not have my network or computer password protected so i'm not sure why it's asking for this. I've even left it blank and tried to login. I've also tried username: admin pass: admin with no luck at all.

Can someone please help me with this?

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
micr0
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:11/2/2009 5:28:00 AM # 2
Just FYI.  For some reason, the player will not recognize drives (through the USB) as large as 500gb.  I don't know why, but I also had encounter that problem.  Once I partition it roughly 250gb a piece, the player saw them without a problem.

mssimoes
Level :
Posted:8/4/2010 10:01:00 PM # 3
Hi,

Do you know if that problem is only with usb? If i connect a 2TB external harddrive will the device recognize it? If yes, did the player deal well with such high capacity hard drives?
Thanks
Regards

Oldie1944
Level :
Tech Points : 50
Posted:8/6/2010 4:03:00 AM # 4
I don't know about 2 TB HDDs, but mine is running fine with a 1 TB-HDD.
Pls. avoid FAT32-Formating for large HDDs,  because  the Oplay is recognizing NTFS-formated Drives much faster than ones FAT32-formatted.
To the WD-players for example this doesn't make any difference,  both types of drives are recognized very fast.

Rgds.

mssimoes
Level :
Posted:8/6/2010 5:41:00 PM # 5

Quote:
Author: Oldie1944 Posted: 8/6/2010 4:03:00 AM

I don't know about 2 TB HDDs, but mine is running fine with a 1 TB-HDD.
Pls. avoid FAT32-Formating for large HDDs,  because  the Oplay is recognizing NTFS-formated Drives much faster than ones FAT32-formatted.
To the WD-players for example this doesn't make any difference,  both types of drives are recognized very fast.

Rgds.

Hi,

Thanks for you post. :D
I was/am (don't know yet) thinking buying one O!play, but i read (here on asus forum) some many problems that I'm more and more confusing if is the right choice. I had a Kiss DP1500, but it gone (it's broken, overheat of something like that). Tell another thing: Does the player runs well on such high capacity hard drives or it take too long finding and displaying all files?
Can you read/write files from your local network into hard drive connected to the player?
You also mention WD-players. Better or worse that O!play?

Thanks
Regards!

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.