ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Multimedia > O!Play Air  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]ASUS O'PLAY HDP-R3 Problem's List New Topic
August
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:2/26/2010 6:02:00 PM # 31
For those who are having problems with sharing through Win 7, I found the following suggestion helpful:

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20100214061638750&board_id=19&model=O!Play+HDP-R1&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

After I set the MTU on the sharing PC to 1492, I then was able to add the shortcut into the Asus O Play Air with the login and password and all good to go.

As far as connecting through wireless, I had a problem with MAC address filtering.  It seems that the MAC address that is printed on the bottom of the O Play is only for the wired NIC and not the wireless.  When I add the MAC address on filter list, it would not allow me to connect.  But when I disabled the MAC filtering, everything connects properly without problems.  So I'm looking for a way to find out what the wireless MAC address is for the O play.  My Linksys WRT610N doesn't list the MAC address of the networked systems.

I am the owner of the the O Play Air and the WD TV Live.  Both has it's ups and downs.  I have upgraded the O Play and WD with the most recent firmwares, and I liked the O Play's ability to play BD and DVD ISO with chapters for FF and REW functions.  And it would seem that when streaming through the network, the O Play is able to play the entire BD ISO movies from beginning to end.  But when connected through the USB drive.  it would only play the largest file within the ISO (This also happens with the WD for both streaming and USB).  For example, when streaming the movie BOLT through the network, it would start from the beginning of the movie to the end.  But when it is connected through the USB, the movie would start where Penny was in the copier room making fliers to find Bolt. 

The main problem that I am currently experiencing is, when playing BD ISO through the network, the audio would often hang.  Videos plays properly without any problems at 1080p.  I thought this may be a problem with wireless network, but even when connecting through wired gigalan, the audio would still hang.  I am hoping that someone here is able to resolve this problem.  Thanks in advance.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
tvjohn
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 232
Posted:2/26/2010 8:26:00 PM # 32
"So I'm looking for a way to find out what the wireless MAC address is for the O play. My Linksys WRT610N doesn't list the MAC address of the networked systems."

You can use a "Telnet" application from your pc to login to the IP address of either the wired or wireless connection on your O!Play.
Type "root" at the login prompt, no password.

Type "ifconfig" command, which will list the network devices in your O!Play, & tell you their MAC addresses.

HTH.

August
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:2/27/2010 3:30:00 PM # 33
I played around with my WRT610N some more and found the DHCP client list.  It had the MAC address on it.  After adding it to the MAC filter, I was able to connect wirelessly with the MAC filter without any problems. 

I also find that the remote control lag happens a lot less often if I disable the previews for the movies. 

Now to find a way to stream large BD ISO without losing audio.  I think it may be caused by the O Play overheating.  Because it happens more frequently after playing the movie for a while.  It's possible that the fix is in the next firmware release.

activemind
Level :
Tech Points : 8
Posted:3/14/2010 10:33:00 AM # 34
Looks like majority of the problem is the wireless, and that is also one of the main reason why I bought this.  When I play everything off an external HD, everything works fine...remote, media, and everything works great.  Once I move on the wireless content; that's when the nightmare begins.  Remote freezes, crashes the player, just everything about the player can go to the garbage.

So for those that are thinking of getting this; DON'T.  Until ASUS put in some effort to fix this, it is not going to fly.

Doab
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 9
Posted:3/17/2010 10:08:00 AM # 35
Re: 9. Recently Played lists don't remember ANYTHING played via network or UPNP.

Recently I detached my 1.5TB drive from the O!Play and attached it to my Desktop.  When I browsed the drive I found what I expected two SQLite database files in the root.

Files.db contains details of all the files on the drive and recent.db a list of files recently accessed (duh!) on the drive.  Even if they tried to implement it you would have to provide write access to your shared folders.  I don't know about you but when it comes to my media files I don't want to give my wife write access.

Even with write access the question remains where would O!Play store this data to reflect playback of media from different shares.  Its doable but there are more pressing issues that need attention in my opinion.

What would make the whole issue moot is if it was possible to view attached O!Play storage like any other drive on the network.  To my mind this would solve the problem of wireless bandwidth and tracking of files played.  Then all one would need to do would be to synchronize media files from anywhere on your network to the attached drive.

Pat
Level :
Posted:7/10/2010 2:12:00 PM # 36
I signed up just to respond to this comment. 100% agree with what Trimble Epic said. This product rocks. I also agree with each and every complaint except 2. Windows 7 problems and MKV issues.

Anyone looking to buy i'd highly suggest ignoring the issues, they are problems yes but even with them i wouldn't hesitate buying a second unit for other rooms.

I had a choice between a WD i believe it was media player or ASUS. I've always trusted ASUS and they did drop the ball on few things for this media player, lets hope they get it fixed.

The most recent i'd like to see working and the responsiveness of the damn remote would be nice if it was better. That is unbelievably annoying.

I also dislike how if i don't have shows/movies in a folder if i'm not fast enough it automatically (Speed test, pause, show file size, pause, start preview, pause) THEN i can hit OK to play full screen.

That delay explained above and the remote issue/recently played would be nice to see fixed some how.

Edit: Didn't realize you had to use HTML to paragraph.

Mike
Level :
Posted:7/12/2010 7:45:00 PM # 37
Hi All, I recently bought the o!play air and I have this issue that needs to be addressed: I have 2 external hard drives, both formatted to FAT32 (so i can use it for both mac and windows use) a) 1 TB Western Digital MyBook b) 500 GB Maxtor Basics for both, i have no problems mounting to my Mac or PC. But when I plug them to the USB slots to my o!play Air, it is intermittent that they are detected. Most of the time, I would need to reset the device and hope that the machine re-detects them. Both are 3.5" hard drives with power supply so I doubt that the cause is not enough power. Anyone got issues on hard drives not mounting on their media player?

tvjohn
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 232
Posted:7/13/2010 4:13:00 PM # 38
You could format 1 of your drives as HFS, which O!Play supports, & see if that's detected every time.

Windows will still be able to see the HFS drive if you use O!Play's NAS function.

I have several HFS HD's which I connect to O!Play, & in general they are the fastest to mount. I have some older NTFS formatted drives which O!Play spends a lot of time accessing before allowing me access :-)

Paragon software sells a NTFS driver for mac OS X which works ok here, allowing os x to write as well as read, NTFS.

Some HD's do seem to have compatibility problems with different sata & or usb controllers, so sometimes it's a matter of trying an alternative HD. The e-sata port on O!Play seems to work well with all the HD's I've tried.

Mike
Level :
Posted:7/15/2010 4:54:00 PM # 39
Thanks for the tip.  I will try that.

Keogh
Level :
Posted:8/2/2010 12:56:00 PM # 40

Quote:
Author: annaconda Posted: 1/19/2010 11:09:00 PM

I bought ASUS thinking they have probably made this product as good as their Motherboard, but i am really really sorry to say i was wrong!

Problem list is growing in the FORUM, lets just collect them in one thread and hope ASUS will solve them ASAP.

1. Wireless Problem. (AES + TKIP) combination does not work in Wireless N mode.
2. Remote Unresponsive.
3. MKV file support.
4. Network ShortCuts.
5. Product Freeze to Death.
6. Slow - Doesn't play anything (video or music) - Keeps bouncing back to home page and/or rebooting
7. the included O!Link software - What does this do?  It doesn't work.
8.The box mentions "O!Photo Picture Manager"... Where is this?
9. Recently Played lists don't remember ANYTHING played via network or UPNP.
10.Music grouped by DATE uses file modification date instead of ID3 tag's YEAR field.
11. windows 7 networking issues where the Air refuses to see network shares.
12. Does NOT stream 1080 video as it is advertised to do regardless of your network configuration

RE: Item #1 - I struggled for hours trying to get my O!Play to be recognized by my router. All it took was reading this thread and switching my router's Wireless Security mode to AES only to make things work. It would have been nice to have read this in the manual.

One thing that does not seem to work on my HDP-R3 is the Internet Radio. For whatever reason, it seams to time out and drop back to the main menu.

First  Prev  1 2 3 4 5 6  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.