Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Multimedia > O!Play HDP-R1  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]will the seagate 3tb work on the asus o!play rdp1? New Topic
cheesy1234
Level :
Tech Points : 4
Posted:11/11/2010 11:36:00 PM # 1
will this hard drive be compatible with the my oplay ?http://forums.ncix.com/forums/index.php?mode=showthread&msg_id=2252915&threadid=2252915&forum=116&product_id=55667&msgcount=11&overclockid=0#msg2252915

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
tvjohn
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 232
Posted:11/12/2010 1:14:00 AM # 2
As it's only available currently as an external usb drive, it'll work fine.

It would be much more interesting if it was available as a bare drive :-)

cheesy1234
Level :
Posted:11/12/2010 4:53:00 AM # 3
i wonder because it doesn't work with the WD media player

badkarma
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 191
Posted:11/12/2010 5:41:00 AM # 4
2TB = max limit for 32 bit operating system
3TB = mappable by 64 bit operating system

So unless 3TB HDD has internal magic mapping, or O!play is 64 bit I am thinking it might not work (unless partitioning as 2TB + 1 TB perhaps?)

http://www.reghardware.com/2010/10/19/wd_3tb_caviar_green/

"The 3TB Caviar Green also comes in a 2.5TB version and both are Advanced Format drives that face problems being used by 32-bit versions of Windows and older PCs."

http://www.techeye.net/hardware/seagate-planning-3tb-hard-drive

" Unfortunately for Windows XP users, the 32-bit version of Windows XP is only limited to 2TB per drive partition, so getting a 3TB drive is a bit useless."

So maybe with 2x 1.5TB partitions ... ?!?!?!

cheesy1234
Level :
Posted:11/12/2010 8:38:00 AM # 5
i cant believe no one on the internet has an asus oplay and an seagate 3tb hadrive , i been asking this question around forums for months , no one could say "yes it works i have it "

wardog
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 47
Posted:11/12/2010 2:04:00 PM # 6
@ badkarma - Remember though, we're not dealing with Windows limitations here. It's OS is BusyBox.

@ everyone -  Best bet at this time would be to inquire of Asus's Tech Support for an answer. Not being aware of just what BusyBox version our players currently run, nor whether or not this version can or will recognize a 3TB drive that's where I'd start. At least you'd be getting it straight from the horses mouth.

badkarma
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:11/12/2010 9:57:00 PM # 7
@wardog, yes, but we are dealing with a 32bit o/s though (aren't we?) which has addressing limits to 2TB for disk (partitions?) Well, I assume its 32bit ... ?

Lynch
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:11/13/2010 5:36:00 AM # 8
Hi - sorry I missed the thread. I happen to own a Seagate 3TB GoFlex external drive and use it with my O!play HDP-R1 nearly everyday. No problems or issues at all - in fact I can heartily recommend this. I use it as an HFS+ formatted drive - so it still has the file limitations that creep up after 2-1/2TB or so that I have encountered with all HFS+ drives. When I last formatted and experimented with a 4TB RAID 0 formatted as NTFS I also encountered the same problems (and it was substantially slower than HFS+ as well). I do wish Asus would fix this absurd size limitation - but otherwise it works like a champ.

badkarma
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:11/13/2010 6:47:00 AM # 9
Thanks for the reply Lynch.

Do you have a single partition formatted as 3GB as which you can only use 2-2+1/2 TB or have you tried setting it up with 2x partitions such as a 2TB+1TB partition to make use of maximum space?

This link ...

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20672476-Maximum-Hard-Drive-Size-for-Windows-XP-32-bit

...is interesting (if you ignore WinXP) in that it says 32 bit opsys cannot (using NTFS) calculate beyond 2TB limit which, if Oplay only reads NTFS would probably mean you cannot address space past 2TB although the oplay should be able to write upto 2GB of space on a 3TB drive if it had a 2TB partition... and not beyond because of the MBR 8 byte arrangement...

The last 3 paragraphs of this link say it all and is good bedtime reading for geeks...

http://www.dewassoc.com/kbase/hard_drives/hard_drive_size_barriers.htm

MikeTyson
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:4/9/2013 4:19:00 AM # 10
Is not a matter of bits. The O!play mini plus support only certain types of disk.
I succesfull installed a Seagate Barracuda st3000dm001 but no way to make it working with a Western Digital WD30EZRX even if double partinioned. I tried with NTFS and Ext3 but no difference. The Seagate works with one NTFS partition or two NTFS partitions.

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: HHC New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.