ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Digital Home > AiGuru SV1  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]AiGuru SV1 keeps losing wifi connection New Topic
Corbett
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:11/24/2008 5:03:00 AM # 1
My brand new AiGuru SV1 keep losing it's connection to my wifi router. I can usually use it for a few minutes and make a video call or two but then, consistently it drops the connection and won't reconnect even by turning off and back on again, and searching for a network. The only way to get a connection again is to leave it off for a long while and try again much later.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Corbett
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:11/28/2008 9:33:00 PM # 2
Hello, anybody home?

Dan
Level :
Posted:12/25/2008 7:16:00 PM # 3
Hi, I'm just unpacking my wifes christmas present (the Skype phone) so if I see the same problem I will be back here with comments.

Chris-B
Level :
Posted:2/18/2009 4:38:00 PM # 4

Quote:
Author: Corbett Posted: 11/24/2008 5:03:00 AM

My brand new AiGuru SV1 keep losing it's connection to my wifi router. I can usually use it for a few minutes and make a video call or two but then, consistently it drops the connection and won't reconnect even by turning off and back on again, and searching for a network. The only way to get a connection again is to leave it off for a long while and try again much later.

I'm having the same problem. I got it for a Grandma, and cannot expect her to go through the reconnection proceedure. I think that the  problem is that it goes to sleep after showing the screen saver for a few minutes. It is not the wireless connection as it is good, even so it should auto re-connect the next time it comes out of sleep. Next time I visit I will try it on the ethernet connection, then I may be able to tell if it is the device in general. 

I see your post is a couple of months old, did you get resolution?

Cheers....Chris 

Dan
Level :
Posted:3/12/2009 3:04:00 AM # 5
Now its tested and I do have all the problems described above :-(. Even worse is that when I try to get answers from ASUSsupport they stop answering after a while. I had good contact but when they start asking the same question the second time and I said so, they stopped. The real problem is that when I ask Skype, from where I bought it, they say they dont repair and ask me to contact ASUS who said that I should go back to Skype.... Im (or we) is in a classic supplier / reseller situation....

What to do. Im quit sure a new firmware should solve many problems. Can anybody say if there is a new one on its way. The telephone doesnt seem to check, it goes to quickly through that process when I try.

Hendrikse
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:6/7/2009 5:57:00 PM # 6
I and everyone I know who has bought this product has the same problem. It's completely unacceptable as typically this is bought to use with untechnical people who are in a different country, making it unusable when it goes down.

So many people have this problem that it is inexcusable for asus not to do something about it. I will likely be writing a really scathing review about it on amazon.com shortly.

I left a packet sniffer monitoring packets from it's mac address. I found I got longer connectivity when I setup dhcp to assign a fixed ip address than when I let it assign dynamic ones, but it still does down, although it then took several days to a week. What I noticed is that the last packets that were sent were three tcp retransmissions to a peer address, then nothing. What this says to me is that the device naively assumes any network error as the connection is unavailable and never goes into any kind of abort and retry loop. Certainly a temporary dhcpd expiring seems to be interpreted the same way as a retransmission to a peer. Unfortunately the box is continuously communication to peers in both udp and tcp. I tried blocking all udp and tcp connections from the box, but it has a massive list of peers in it's memory/flash that it keeps trying, so that approach doesn't work.

This means that you are at the mercy of another persons connectivity problems, if the box was talking tcp to some random peer, which it does all the time, and that person turns off their mode, bang! Your own skype box now goes out of the air till you can power it off and on again. Not an acceptable position.

video marky
Level :
Posted:8/2/2009 11:14:00 PM # 7
I have brought two of these phones, one to give to my elderly parents. I was initially absolutely thrilled with it, but after a day or two it becomes clear that it looses wifi connection as described and there is no way to re-instate this without re-entering the wep key.

I agree it looks like if connection is ever lost then there is no attempt at re-connection.

This makes it quite unsuitable for the key market, and for my parents. A work around could be to use the wired connection. What a pain.

My software version is 1.0.0.47 of 2009-04-27

If Asus will not support this then there is a solution. Its open source and Asus do provide the source code on their web site. I am downloading it now. This means that either I can fix it, or I can find someone who can or I can pay someone to fix it.

Although disappointed by this flaw, I am very optamistic that improved software will be available from 3rd parties. Personally I would even pay for this if it was good.

This is a fantastic piece of hardware, yes everyone should complain to asus about the software because it doesnt work as is. But in the long run I am sure this will be fixed.

Asus, why not fix this for us now ? Is it so hard?

video marky
Level :
Posted:8/2/2009 11:21:00 PM # 8
On a more general note I consider that Asus ought really to look into this because I believe it could be as big as the rest of their other business put together. Or people will just copy their product, always a possibility.

I foresee a future with offices with one of these on each desk. I can see versions that have a handset on the side, like a phone, for enhanced privacy. I forsee versions that allow multiple stations to login to the same account and correctly stop ringing once any one is answered just like a normal phone, as well as downloadable ring tones, a louder speaker for the deaf or hard of hearing, and a phone that allows each memeber of the family to have their own account and log in and the phone can ring on incoming calls for any account.  This is a fantastic, fantastic product. Nobody actually WANTS skype on their computer really!

If only the wifi on it worked...

video marky2
Level :
Posted:8/21/2009 1:52:00 AM # 9
Ok, me again.

Just wanted to say that this has not happened since then. It did happen on one occasion, but never again even though I tried to make it happen eg turned off my wireless access point.

So todate its been reliable.

And yes, I am still thrilled with it!

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.