ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > PC Components > Altas  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Processor/Memory compatibility New Topic
Wee Lun
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:2/12/2008 3:43:00 PM # 1
Situation:
I have an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 processor (3.00GHz, 1333MHz, 45nm series) on my ASUSTek P5KC motherboard (Intel P35 Chipset, supports all current Core 2 processors @ 1333/1066/800MHz fsb and DDR2 667/800/1066MHz, DDR3 800/1066/1333MHz)

Problem:
I would like to know which configuration (and speed) of DDR memory modules would be recommended for the highest stability or performance with my processor in Dual-Channel.
Also, I would like to know if the BIOS on the board allows the processor's base clock speed to be changed.

FYI:
I have requested assistance form Intel but they are unable to help because they are not familiar with the features of the ASUSTek P5KC motherboard.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
billb
Level :
Tech Points : 801
Posted:2/13/2008 1:32:00 AM # 2

Quote:
Author: Wee Lun Posted: 2/12/2008 3:43:00 PM

Problem:
I would like to know which configuration (and speed) of DDR memory modules would be recommended for the highest stability or performance with my processor in Dual-Channel.
Also, I would like to know if the BIOS on the board allows the processor's base clock speed to be changed.

Your questions would require an very long answer.

It's like saying "I want to send three men to the moon. How should I do it?
Well, the answer could be...
Get all the parts you will need to buils a rocket, put them all together and the push the "launch" button. The answer is short and corect, but nowhere near the detail you would need to accomplish your goal. That would require a much longer answer, wouldn't it?

The BIOS on your computer offers the ability to change many settings that affect the speed, performance and stability of your computer. The trick is learning what each does, and then how to use them. The BIOS also includes AiNOS, which is an automatic overclocking method, which is much less complicated and easier to use than changing alot of other BIOS settings manually, though it in nowhere as effective as manually changing settings yourself. Perhaps, if you find manually overlocking BIOS settings too complicated or time consuming, this utility will accopmplish what yo want.

The best advice I can give to you is to read about overclocking in general, then about overclocking your specific motherboard. Please post back here, or elseware on this forum, if you have any questions about what you have learned about overclocking after visiting some overclocking forums.

Here are some forums that include discussions about overclocking. You will find many helpfull people there and after reading about overclocking you will be able to ask specific questions that will help you understand how it works.
http://www.ocforums.com
http://www.xtremesystems.org
http://www.overclock.net/
http://asustech.15.forumer.com/
http://forums.anandtech.com
There is also an excellent section on your motherboatd here on the Asus forums.

And yes, your CPU can be made to run faster, as can your memory and video card also.

Good Luck!

And a little more advice........
People may answer your questions by telling you to change specific settings in your BIOS. Be warry of these suggestions until you are familiar with exactly what these changes will do. Overclocking is not just plugging settings into your BIOS, it is a detailed, specific process of trial and error. Learn the process first. If you don't, then when you computer won't boot (after you change some BIOS setting you don't understand) you won't know what the change did or how to fix it, and you'll waste hours or days trying to undo what you have done. Follow the process.

What is the process?
First, determine the maximum FSB your motherboard will run.
Next, determine the maximum speed for your CPU.
Next, determine the maximum speed for your memory.
Then, put all these together onto a fast, stable overclock.
Then, overclock you video card.
But then, that's like telling you how to build a rocket to fly to the moon!!!!!!!!!!!

M5A99X EVO R2.0, Teem Vulcan (4x4gig), Samsung 840 Pro 256 gig
Wee Lun
Level :
Posted:2/13/2008 3:46:00 AM # 3
billb, I dont intend to seriously overclock the pc, I just want to get the correct speed of RAM to get the system to run smoothly and with performance. Only after those criterias are met, then I will start to consider overclocking.

Ok, if you had an Intel E8400 processor on an ASUSTek P5KC motherboard, what speed of DDR2 memory modules would you put into the board? (for a high-mainstream gaming desktop)

Do not consider DDR3 1333MHz, I cannot afford those.

Or should I just change to a 1066MHz processor with DDR2 1066MHz and overclock the clock speeds by 5~10%?

I cannot afford Core 2 Extreme and Core 2 Quad processors too. But I want a 3.00GHz or faster processor ; (

No Pentium processors too, please

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 - 45nm, 3.00GHz, 1333MHz fsb, 6mb L2 Cache
ASUSTek P5KC - Supports all current Core 2 processors of fsb 800MHz or higher
                               Supports DDR2 667/800/1066MHz, DDR3 800/1066/1333MHz

billb
Level :
Posted:2/13/2008 1:09:00 PM # 4

Quote:
Author: Wee Lun Posted: 2/13/2008 3:46:00 AM

billb, I dont intend to seriously overclock the pc, I just want to get the correct speed of RAM to get the system to run smoothly and with performance. Only after those criterias are met, then I will start to consider overclocking.

Ok, if you had an Intel E8400 processor on an ASUSTek P5KC motherboard, what speed of DDR2 memory modules would you put into the board? (for a high-mainstream gaming desktop)

Do not consider DDR3 1333MHz, I cannot afford those.

Or should I just change to a 1066MHz processor with DDR2 1066MHz and overclock the clock speeds by 5~10%?

I cannot afford Core 2 Extreme and Core 2 Quad processors too. But I want a 3.00GHz or faster processor ; (

No Pentium processors too, please

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 - 45nm, 3.00GHz, 1333MHz fsb, 6mb L2 Cache
ASUSTek P5KC - Supports all current Core 2 processors of fsb 800MHz or higher
                               Supports DDR2 667/800/1066MHz, DDR3 800/1066/1333MHz
Aw com'on...your questions are so vague that they can't be given a reasonable answer.
...and neither I, nor anyone else, can decide what memory would be ecconomical for you.
As I stated above, you need to do some reading in order to know enough to be able to ask the right questions.

It takes most people three tries to get the optimum menory for their particular use for their partiular systems. That's just the way the learning curve works. DD33 1333 that will run at 7, 7, 7 ,15 @ 1800-2000mhz would be the "best", if you could find any (High end memory is very hard to find, often sold out as soon as it is offered and expensive). DDR2 1066 memory is extreemely cheep and readily available at the present time. It should be easy to find some that will run 4, 4, 4, 12. at a reasonable overclock.

High end, overclocking memory: http://www.teamgroup.com.tw/teamgroup/en/index.php
Available from: http://www.tankguys.com/index.php?cPath=46&osCsid=86d142e5c4daddca76faff4d05b7527f

Wee Lun
Level :
Posted:2/13/2008 3:49:00 PM # 5

Forget about what I said above, now I need someone to help me with this.

Core 2 Duo 2.00GHz, 800MHz fsb with DDR2 800MHz in Single-Channel mode, total 2GB of RAM

VERSUS

Core 2 Duo 2.00GHz, 800MHz fsb with DDR2 400MHz in Dual-Channel mode, total 2GB of RAM

Exclude graphics cards for both, assuming the board has integrated graphics.

According to the belief that memory in Dual-Channel mode will gain 100% increase in performance, essentially the memory is said to be running at twice its speed.

However, people who have run benchmark and game tests have shown that Dual-Channel does not bring about any noticeable increase on performance, mainly because modern processors have larger cache sizes show more noticable benefits.

I need someone (anyone) to help me pit those two configurations i mentioned above so that I can give myself a smack-in-the-face conclusion of wether Dual-Channel memory lives up to its reputation. If I have provided too little information for a definite answer then just tell me the one which,  you think,  will show better performance.

p.s OK NO MORE OVERCLOCKING!! ASSUME THAT THE BOARD'S BIOS CANNOT BE CHANGED ONE BIT

billb
Level :
Posted:2/14/2008 11:25:00 AM # 6

Quote:
Author: Wee Lun Posted: 2/13/2008 3:49:00 PM

Core 2 Duo 2.00GHz, 800MHz fsb with DDR2 800MHz in Single-Channel mode, total 2GB of RAM

VERSUS

Core 2 Duo 2.00GHz, 800MHz fsb with DDR2 400MHz in Dual-Channel mode, total 2GB of RAM

According to the belief that memory in Dual-Channel mode will gain 100% increase in performance, essentially the memory is said to be running at twice its speed.

However, people who have run benchmark and game tests have shown that Dual-Channel does not bring about any noticeable increase on performance, mainly because modern processors have larger cache sizes show more noticable benefits.

I need someone (anyone) to help me pit those two configurations i mentioned above so that I can give myself a smack-in-the-face conclusion of wether Dual-Channel memory lives up to its reputation. If I have provided too little information for a definite answer then just tell me the one which,  you think,  will show better performance.

p.s OK NO MORE OVERCLOCKING!! ASSUME THAT THE BOARD'S BIOS CANNOT BE CHANGED ONE BIT

Your question makes no sense because you would never run any memory in single chanel mode.

Wee Lun
Level :
Posted:2/14/2008 3:39:00 PM # 7

Quote:
Author: billb Posted: 2/14/2008 11:25:00 AM

Quote:
Author: Wee Lun Posted: 2/13/2008 3:49:00 PM

VERSUS

Your question makes no sense because you would never run any memory in single chanel mode.

I just want to pit DDR2 400 in Dual-Channel against DDR2 800 in Single-Channel, to see the actual performance gain from Dual-Channel against the 100% performance gain it is expected to have.

billb
Level :
Posted:2/15/2008 2:46:00 AM # 8

Quote:
Author: Wee Lun Posted: 2/14/2008 3:39:00 PM

Quote:
Author: billb Posted: 2/14/2008 11:25:00 AM

Quote:

I just want to pit DDR2 400 in Dual-Channel against DDR2 800 in Single-Channel, to see the actual performance gain from Dual-Channel against the 100% performance gain it is expected to have.
First see:   http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=2355786

But seriously, no one would ever run either memory in single channel.
That being said...the DDR2 800 would be much faster. as dual channel no where near doubles memory speed.
If you, or anyone tou know, has a PC, up and running, that can run memory in dual channel, and it has 4 memory slots you can run the test for yourself!
So, now that you have that information, what are you going to do with it?

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.