SEARCH
ASUS Member ID
Password
Forgot password?
Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Wireless > RT-N66U (VER.B1)  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]RT-N66U - Wake on LAN New Topic
DonChino
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:8/24/2012 4:23:00 PM # 1
Has anyone been able to get the RT-N66U router to work with WAKE ON LAN? Basically I used to have a D-Link router and I could turn on my home PC from work to access files, turn on NAS, etc. But now I changed my router for the RT-N66U based on ALL the reviews I kept reading but I am not able to get WOL to work. Basically set up port forwarding on UDP port 9 with broadcast address of 192.168.1.255 which is what I had on the D-Link router. So does the RT-N66U even support network broadcasts? Does it allow WOL packets from the WAN? This router REALLY needs to support this basic functionality...

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
wiz
Level :
Tech Points : 48
Posted:8/24/2012 9:40:00 PM # 2
I have never seen a router that supported wol from the wan interface. I used to have a asus wl500 with custom firmware that had the opportunity to send a wol package from the commandline.

That one got replaced by a Draytek 2820, and that one had the opportunity to send a wol from the web interface.

In the asusware repository there's a wake-lan package, so if you are experienced with linux it should be possible from the commandline of your asus, but I do agree with you it should be possible from the webinterface.

maybe you can suggest this to have wol from webinterface added to the wishlist and maybe they can add it in the future?

RMerlin
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 494
Posted:8/24/2012 9:49:00 PM # 3

You have many options there:

1) Run my firmware, which has a web-based WOL interface

2) Telnet in, and use ether-wake (comes with the firmware)

3) Wait for AiCloud, which includes a WOL interface

I don't understand why people want to allow WOL to work from the Internet. This is a security issue, and you should only make it available through some secure method (VPN, telnet, web-based login).

Custom RT-N16/RT-AC56U/RT-N66U/RT-AC66U firmware: http://www.lostrealm.ca/asuswrt-merlin
DonChino
Level :
Posted:8/25/2012 11:56:00 AM # 4
You never seen a router that supported WOL from the WAN interface? I was using a D-Link DGL-4300 for the past 5 years until it finally burned out, but I was able to WOL my personal PC, NAS, etc from work. Why would anyone want to do it? Well, once again I have machines at home (even an ESXi host) that I turn on from work to help me with my job. Anyway, you should be able to do with port forwarding and do a network broadcast. Unless someone KNOWS your MAC-ID then I do not see the security hole because they also need to know my password to access my machines. WOL just turns the machines ON, but does not open them up to the world. :) Merlin - I used to do it with my D-Link DGL-4300 without having to telnet or anything. Just send a WOL packet from http://wakeonlan.me/

RMerlin
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 494
Posted:8/25/2012 1:52:00 PM # 5

I don't like the idea of allowing people to send a packet to my whole broadcast address - which means it get sent to all the devices on your network. It just sounds like an unnecessary risk to me. Especially when it's just as simple to log onto your router's web interface, and do it safely from that interface.

Custom RT-N16/RT-AC56U/RT-N66U/RT-AC66U firmware: http://www.lostrealm.ca/asuswrt-merlin
DonChino
Level :
Posted:8/25/2012 3:55:00 PM # 6
Yes, it gets sent to all machines but they do not turn on unless the packet has their MAC-ID. I get what you are saying but that requires logging in while I got used to my D-Link. I NEVER had phantom boots or any other problems in 5 years because once again the packet has to have your MAC ID. They have to guess the port you are using for WOL, then guess the MAC ID you are using, then guess the password to access your machine. If you make your WEB INTERFACE available to the WAN they can just as easily try to hack that since it is exposed 24/7. I personally do not like to expose my router on the WAN for any type of web interface and my NAS uses SFTP. Once again no problems in 5 years so I am hoping the RT-N66U can be modified so that it can do network broadcasts. Otherwise I might have to consider returning it but maybe someone knows it DD-WRT or TOMATO does this? :)

DonChino
Level :
Posted:8/27/2012 11:18:00 AM # 7

Ok, I just thought I would throw up one last response so that anyone else who is searching for an answer can get the "right" answer.

Anyway, I checked out Merlin's custom mod of the ASUS firmware and I found what the problem is, but basically the router does NOT maintain connections when machines go off. Basically the little lights on the NIC do not stay on when the machine is powered OFF even though WOL is enabled.

So I was going bonkers trying to change settings on the router and then using Merlin's mod to realize that the problem was with the ASUS firmware. So I went ahead and installed DD-WRT and guess what? It works. :) Yep, the little lights stay ON and I can even do WOL from the Internet or Wake on WAN - WOW.

So for anyone else looking to do this just make a note of these two URLs because you have to install DD-WRT first and then do the "tweak" since the RT-N66U does not do network broadcasts.

1) Install DD-WRT

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-N66U

2) I used Build 18946

Yeah, the DD-WRT database tells you to use another firmware version but I used the Wiki's version. Works like a charm with the newer Build. :)

3)Set up WOL

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WOL

Once again, the ASUS firmware is not keeping connections alive when machines turn OFF so this is a "bug" that ASUS needs to fix. Also, I see what Merlin is saying about logging onto the Router, because DD-WRT has a WOL tab where you can turn on machines within the LAN but thru the router. Hell, DD-WRT even has a DAEMON so you can do SCHEDULED WOL - freaking AWESOME!!! This obviously prevents random broadcasts coming from the Internet, which may seem like a good security "plug" but you can always change the broadcast IP used.

At least you have BOTH options now, but the ROUTER must keep connections alive which the stock firmware does NOT do. So go DD-WRT because WOW it has a LOT of options... :)

UGH, this forum has NO HTML formatting?! ASUS?! Come on, this site is sucking...

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.