SEARCH
ASUS Member ID
Password
Forgot password?
Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Wireless > RT-N66U (VER.B1)  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Using VLAN = LAN3 + LAN4 stop working as normal LAN and no clients can associate to router through them New Topic
Moreira
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:6/12/2012 8:25:00 PM # 1
id="post_message_42438"> Hello,

I hope someone who is more knowledgeable of VLANs than me could help me here... I've already asked this in 3 different forums, including the official Asus forum and Asus support itself, but got no answers at all.

My ISP delivers only Internet + VoIP, no IPTV. Also, it's not any of the ISPs that already come in the ISP Profile list in the IPTV settings (MioTV, Singtel etc).

I successfully managed to connect to the Internet via the correct VLAN IDs my ISP provided (10 for Internet), as shown here: http://i.imgur.com/qJnDpl.jpg

The problem with what I tested so far though, is that only LAN1, LAN2 and Wireless still work as normal (through which clients become automatically associated to the router) when using VLAN.

LAN3 and LAN4 become essentially dead. Can't even access router page through them. As soon as I stop using VLAN I can use LAN3 and LAN4 as normal again...

Since I won't be using LAN4 for IPTV, as my ISP is only Internet + VoIP, how could I have LAN4 work the same way as LAN1-2 + Wireless, while having Internet VLAN ID 10 and LAN3 VLAN ID 12?

I've tried leaving it blank, setting VID 2 (which I was told was the default VLAN ID for LAN1-2 + Wireless) to see if that would help, but it didn't... No idea if PRIO would help here, left it at 0.

Does this mean the LAN4 port becomes useless since my ISP is just VoIP?

Is this normal behaviour or is the router defective?
Could a custom firmware like Tomato USB solve this or am I missing a step in the official firmware config? Maybe I'm forced to use a Gigabit switch?

Thanks

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Moreira
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:6/15/2012 8:58:00 PM # 2
Ok so I contacted Asus support directly and all they could say was to install fw 3.0.0.3.112, even though I had mentioned it was the one I had beforehand. Then after asking again all I was told was to ask for warranty...

I'll rephrase my question, so anyone, even those who aren't using VLAN or don't understand it, can help me confirm if this is normal software behavior or hardware defect:

First make sure you're using the latest official fw 3.0.0.3.112.

- Go to http://192.168.1.1/Advanced_IPTV_Content.asp
select ISP Profile Manual, leave everything blank then Apply and Reboot.
Most likely won't have Internet connection in this mode, but it doesn't matter, as the point is to test local network connection.

- Connect any device to the 3rd or 4th LAN ports (the two last ports)
and go to http://192.168.1.1/device-map/clients.asp
and Refresh. See if the clients connected to those ports are in the list (wireless devices don't count of course). In my case they aren't in the list unless I connect them to the 1st or 2nd LAN, meaning there's no connection with the Router at all through ports 3 and 4. As soon as I disable VLAN by selecting ISP Profile None all is normal again.

If your only device connected via ethernet cable is the one you use to configure (or don't have a laptop w/ wireless) then the simple fact you can't access 192.168.1.1 should be enough to know the LAN3/LAN4 ports aren't working.

- If you have the same results as me, try going back to the VLAN config and setting VLAN ID 2 for both "IPTV (LAN4)" and "VoIP (LAN3)" - I was told ID 2 is the one used by LAN1, LAN2 and Wireless - Apply and Reboot and check the clients list again/try accessing 192.168.1.1.

- Set back ISP Profile to None and Apply after testing (obviously).

This shouldn't take much of your time, but I only have 2 days left for warranty...
Thanks

Alex
Level :
Tech Points : 7
Posted:6/15/2012 11:04:00 PM # 3
I tried what you wanted and I couldn't get anything that was on ports 3 and 4 to be seen. I tried changing the IDs from 2-9 and nothing worked.

Some of the alternative firmwares (Tomato, etc) have more config options for VLANs but I can't really comment since I don't have it currently installed on my router.

As for Asus support telling you to RMA the router, I think that is the standard response. Try the newest firmware, reset the router, if that doesn't work, RMA it.

You can get port 3 and 4 to work, not just how you want them to which would point to a limitation in the firmware.

Moreira
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:6/16/2012 12:36:00 AM # 4

Quote:
Author: Alex Posted: 6/15/2012 11:04:00 PM

I tried what you wanted and I couldn't get anything that was on ports 3 and 4 to be seen. I tried changing the IDs from 2-9 and nothing worked.

Some of the alternative firmwares (Tomato, etc) have more config options for VLANs but I can't really comment since I don't have it currently installed on my router.

As for Asus support telling you to RMA the router, I think that is the standard response. Try the newest firmware, reset the router, if that doesn't work, RMA it.

You can get port 3 and 4 to work, not just how you want them to which would point to a limitation in the firmware.

Many thanks for taking your time to test it, I can rest easy now knowing it's a firmware limitation and not a problem with my router.

Meanwhile I just found something curious about the whole VLAN ID ordeal.

I experimented with the ISP Profile presets the router comes with and found Singtel-Others gave the necessary VID for Internet (10), while LAN3 still worked as normal.

When I was going back to Manual it showed the following values that were previously applied by the Singtel-Others profile:

VLAN Internet: VID 10
VLAN LAN4: VID 20
VLAN LAN3: VID 0

So 0 seems tomake LAN3 work as normal port, but 0 is a value that the Asus configuration page won't let me use, because it always asks for 2-4094.

So I take it that LAN1-2 + Wireless are using VLAN ID 0.
If there was a way I could be able to force VLAN ID 0 for LAN3 and LAN4, then both could perhaps work as normal.

Perhaps a future official firmware by Asus that allows us to put 0 in Manual or a custom firmware would do it.

Alex
Level :
Tech Points : 7
Posted:6/16/2012 12:57:00 AM # 5
The VLAN ID 2-4094 check is part of the web page setup so it should be
an easy thing to add 0 as a valid number. Unfortunately, all the files
are read only so you can't just modify them.

tungsten
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 4
Posted:6/20/2012 11:29:00 AM # 6
I got the same problem with LAN3 and LAN4, hope the future firmware will resolve the issue. Meanwhile, any work around? If not there goes my 2 Giga port...

RMerlin
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 494
Posted:6/20/2012 2:14:00 PM # 7

There's a technique that allows to replace a read-only file with a new one. It's called "Mount binds". For instance, if you want to be able to edit Advanced_IPTV_Content.asp:

ASUSWRT RT-N66U_3.0.0.3 Tue Jun 12 00:40:50 UTC 2012
admin@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/root# cp /www/Advanced_IPTV_Content.asp /tmp
admin@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/root# mount /tmp/Advanced_IPTV_Content.asp /www/Advanced_IPTTV_Content.asp -o bind

Then, you are able to edit /www/Advanced_IPTV_Content.asp, as you will be actually accessing the copy located in /tmp.

Obviously, everything will be reverted to the original files once you reboot, but that should be enough to allow you to modify the page to let you enter a lower VLAN ID, and save it back to nvram.

Custom RT-N16/RT-AC56U/RT-N66U/RT-AC66U firmware: http://www.lostrealm.ca/asuswrt-merlin
tungsten
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:6/20/2012 6:32:00 PM # 8
Thanks RMerlin, no luck still cannot change VLAN ID to 0, tried changing from 2 to 20, LAN3 and LAN4 still don't work.

So now the only VLAN ID 0 is yet to confirmed to revive the 2 ports.
Btw, I'm already in FW 3.0.0.3.144

xpto pt
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:10/31/2013 6:14:00 AM # 9
I had the same problem using manual vlan INTERNET VID 10  port 3 and 4 was  unusable to lan connections .

To fix this i used this commands in telnet .

nvram set switch_stb_x=0
nvram commit
reboot

now i have VLan INTERNET VID 10 and all ports can be used as lan.

the fix was provided by RMerlin, many thanks to him

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.