SEARCH
ASUS Member ID
Password
Forgot password?
Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Wireless > RT-N66U (VER.B1)  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Can't find 5GHZ channel New Topic
Chris
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:4/14/2012 2:24:00 PM # 1
Ok this is my 2nd router. The first one I got wouldn't even connect to the net after 2 days of messing with it it went back to the store. I received my 2nd one the other day. It set up just fine. Everything works fine on on the 2.4 ghz channel. But none of my devices can see the 5ghz channel. I have 2 laptops, 3 android phones (which may or may not detect the 5ghz band) a netgear wireless range extender, and and LG tv with wifi. I cannot find the 5ghz channel on anything. I have checked the settings on the laptop network cards and made sure they were set correctly.  I have changed settings and channels on the router trying any suggestion I could find on Google. I have tried the channel switching  on the 5ghz band suggested here in another thread that worked for another forum poster. So far nothing. I am on firmware .108. Does anyone have any suggestions? The router shows the 5ghz band as on. I'm really loathe to send this one back.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Chris
Level :
Posted:4/14/2012 10:46:00 PM # 2
No one have any suggestions?

RMerlin
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 494
Posted:4/14/2012 11:51:00 PM # 3
Very few devices actually support the 5 GHz band. Myself, only my Motorola Xoom Android tablet does. Are you positive any of your devices support 5 GHz?

Custom RT-N16/RT-AC56U/RT-N66U/RT-AC66U firmware: http://www.lostrealm.ca/asuswrt-merlin
mikeg
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 221
Posted:4/15/2012 12:14:00 AM # 4

Quote:
Author: Chris Posted: 4/14/2012 10:46:00 PM

No one have any suggestions?

Have you tried inSSIDER on one of the PC:s you can not connect on the 5 GH band ?
I have Asus USB-N53 and Dlink DWA-160 to connect on the 5 GHz but then I have problems
with performance instead.

edsyl
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 42
Posted:4/15/2012 12:15:00 AM # 5
Try lowering the control band to a lower frequency and see if that helps.
As an aside, I just bought a new Z77-V PRO with WI-FI built in!! And guess what, it is only 2.4 ghz.
SO I spent a lot of time looking into why I could not see the 5Ghz band with the new motherboard.
I am a bit pissed that the latest generation of motherboard comes ONLY with a 2.4ghz radio wi-fi. Fail!

Anyway, once I put a real N adapter in the system, all was well after I manually set the control band lower.
Also make sure the other devices ARE 5Ghz able(not like I did,,,lol)
Regards
ED

Chris
Level :
Posted:4/15/2012 3:29:00 AM # 6
Ok. Thanks for the suggestions.I'll try them. I'm not sure about droid phones. I'm guessing they probably don't see the 5ghz band. I've got an HP laptop that doesn't even have an option to enable the 802.11b/g/n in the nic card settings, so that may not support it.... Just bought it last week for my wife...you would think it would support it... My Toshiba laptop has the setting to enable, but not picking anything up. I'll look deeper into it to see if it actually supports the band. My Netgear range extender is a few years old so its possible it doesn't support it. As far as the  LG plasma... hmm....

KevTech
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 66
Posted:4/15/2012 11:33:00 AM # 7
If your device supports a/b/g/n or just a/n then it will most likely support 5GHz.

If the device only supports b/g/n then it most likely does not support 5GHz.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.