SEARCH
ASUS Member ID
Password
Forgot password?
Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Wireless > RT-N66U (VER.B1)  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Others]Looking to buy a RT-N66U (Need feedback) New Topic
Whitesnake
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:3/15/2012 10:20:00 PM # 1
Hello Everyone, I am interested in getting the RT-N66U. I am wonder how the unit is working?.. are all the "bug" issues resolved?. what bugs still exist.. I see there is one bug left about port forwarding.. I might not have this issue, but if I need it, I don't want the bug... I had purchased a Netgear N900, and the unit was soooo buggy, I gave up and returned it. Sure there support kept sending me firmware updates, and tools to diagnose the issue, but I was spending alot of my time on diagnosing issues (for 3 weeks). I don't want to spend my time diagnosing issues. The issues I had with the N900 was basically stability. It would loose connection to the internet after a few hours of use. Router to computer connection was fine, but the router to modem connection kept dropping. ALOT of people had the issue, but it was not resolved after many firmware updates and sending them diag logs. It might be fixed by now, but I don't want to go thru the hassle Thanks

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Dan
Level :
Tech Points : 35
Posted:3/16/2012 12:58:00 AM # 2
I would highly recommend this product.  I will never buy a Netgear again after a router I bought a few years ago.  I just returned my Linksys e4200 because after about 3 weeks it would just freeze up and all wireless would stop working.  I gave it many tried but returned it to Costco as soon as I could find one of these.  The Netgear was worthless almost out of the box so I said I would never get one of those again. Before the Linksys e4200 I had the DLink DIR-655 which was a great router no issues but no 5GHz or IP6 capabilities and the USB drive was only accessible through a web based application.  It wasn't like a NAS like this device is.

I have the FTP server running, the Media Server (DLNA) and itunes works great, VPN, File Server (2 usb hard drives plugged in) and an 8 port gigabit switch plugged it with all 8 ports occupied and 12 wireless devices.  With the most recent firmware everything works, I do not have port forwarding turned on at this point because I have no reason to yet.  Also my wireless printer has no issues reconnecting to this device when it needs to (my linksys e4200 wouldnt find it and I was constantly rebooting the printer)

I really like the traffic monitor so I can see how much traffic and when things are going out.  My new Dell laptop connects constantly at 300mbps which is great except my internet is only 35mbps but hey for internal network transfers it's super fast.  DDNS setup works no problem and DHCP reservations work as well.

This is my first Asus product but as you can see I have gone through a ton of routers and so far this works the best.  I have pumped a ton of data through it and its holding strong.  Just wish I could turn off the lights on the router as they are a little distracting but that is why they invented electrical tape!

Mike
Level :
Tech Points : 3
Posted:3/16/2012 8:43:00 AM # 3
Hi, I just got my RT-66U today and hooked it up easily. The Computer with the LAN hard wired works fine but so far I can not figure out how to get the wireless computer to be able to hook-up. I have been reading for hours now and still can not figure out what is the problem. I am ready to give up but I want it so bad I will keep going. Hopefully it will be something simple but so far I can not figure out the problem due to the lack of user friendly manuals. They are about useless when it comes to the technical stuff, I guess unless one understand this jargon. Other that that I have hi hopes for this router as it comes highly recommended by most all users.

tc93
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 47
Posted:3/16/2012 1:35:00 PM # 4

Quote:
Author: Mike  Posted: 3/16/2012 8:43:00 AM

Hi, I just got my RT-66U today and hooked it up easily. The Computer with the LAN hard wired works fine but so far I can not figure out how to get the wireless computer to be able to hook-up. I have been reading for hours now and still can not figure out what is the problem. I am ready to give up but I want it so bad I will keep going. Hopefully it will be something simple but so far I can not figure out the problem due to the lack of user friendly manuals. They are about useless when it comes to the technical stuff, I guess unless one understand this jargon. Other that that I have hi hopes for this router as it comes highly recommended by most all users.

Is the wireless light lit up on the front of the router, for 2.4 or 5ghz? (whichever one you are using)

mikeg
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 221
Posted:3/16/2012 8:42:00 PM # 5

Quote:
Author: Whitesnake Posted: 3/15/2012 10:20:00 PM

Hello Everyone, I am interested in getting the RT-N66U. I am wonder how the unit is working?.. are all the "bug" issues resolved?. what bugs still exist.. I see there is one bug left about port forwarding.. I might not have this issue, but if I need it, I don't want the bug... I had purchased a Netgear N900, and the unit was soooo buggy, I gave up and returned it. Sure there support kept sending me firmware updates, and tools to diagnose the issue, but I was spending alot of my time on diagnosing issues (for 3 weeks). I don't want to spend my time diagnosing issues. The issues I had with the N900 was basically stability. It would loose connection to the internet after a few hours of use. Router to computer connection was fine, but the router to modem connection kept dropping. ALOT of people had the issue, but it was not resolved after many firmware updates and sending them diag logs. It might be fixed by now, but I don't want to go thru the hassle Thanks

I had problems with a Netgear router which I lost my wireless connections a couple of times during a year and waited for this Asus router. I have performace problems with the wireless
connections with this , more than I had with the Netgear. I am running on the latest .108 firmware and got the suggestion form support to downgrade the firmware to .96. I am not sure if the router will perform so good on the wireless connections , but who knows ? Anyway I will try do downgrade the firmware and see if I get any improvement or not.

mikeg
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/16/2012 11:25:00 PM # 6

Quote:

Hello, I agree with you about the manual. I have the wireless up and running. Have you looked in the wireless settings that you have the Wireless - Professional that teh Enable Radio is set to
Yes ? What kind of wireless adapter do you have on your computer ?

Dan
Level :
Tech Points : 35
Posted:3/17/2012 12:49:00 AM # 7
I will agree the manuals are useless, as about 95% of the manuals I get for anything these days.  I thought setup was extremely user friendly but being an IT professional I guess I might look at it differently.

I am not having any wireless streaming issues or dropping issues with any of 9 of my wireless computers and I pull about 10GB of data a day through them and it's a mixture of 5GHz machines and 2.4GHz machines.  Also have no issues streaming with the 8 devices hard wired into the switch and or router.

Can't say I have done anything special other then plug it in, update the firmware, and pick radio channels that have low to no interference using a wifi scanner from my phone.  It is on top of my entertainment center with plenty of air and room to breath.  Been running for a week straight now and no reboots or issues that I am aware of.  True test is a full month of running as my Linksys did fine for about 2 weeks and would just freeze after that.

mikeg
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/17/2012 2:51:00 AM # 8

Quote:
Author: Dan Posted: 3/17/2012 12:49:00 AM

I will agree the manuals are useless, as about 95% of the manuals I get for anything these days.  I thought setup was extremely user friendly but being an IT professional I guess I might look at it differently.

I am not having any wireless streaming issues or dropping issues with any of 9 of my wireless computers and I pull about 10GB of data a day through them and it's a mixture of 5GHz machines and 2.4GHz machines.  Also have no issues streaming with the 8 devices hard wired into the switch and or router.

Can't say I have done anything special other then plug it in, update the firmware, and pick radio channels that have low to no interference using a wifi scanner from my phone.  It is on top of my entertainment center with plenty of air and room to breath.  Been running for a week straight now and no reboots or issues that I am aware of.  True test is a full month of running as my Linksys did fine for about 2 weeks and would just freeze after that.
I completely agree that the so called manuals are not worthy being called manuals. I am used of manuals from mainframes so I expect to get the answer of my questions in the manual. Sorry  to write but Asus so called manual is just a joke.
I did the same as you regarding the wireless but it seems to be a quality problem in
the router production. I will try to replace my router to a new which is hopefully better
working. 

Serpiph
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 45
Posted:3/20/2012 8:04:00 PM # 9

Quote:
Author: Whitesnake Posted: 3/15/2012 10:20:00 PM

Hello, Whitesnake. I bought RT-N66U two days ago. It works, but one time I had to reboot it by power button as it stoped answer by wire to my browser when I did admin work on it. Now I use 3.0.0.3.108 firmware. Seems to work stable, no lost connections and reboots untill now. But RV220W is better to set and change parameters. :)  For example in RT-N66U you can't edit already entered lines in DHCP list, only delete wrong ones. No DHCPv6 server on it. And so on. Small bussiness router and home router... :)
One more to RT-N66U: ASUS support answered me in one day after my e-mail and helped me with the router. Cisco support silents almost all the time...

Mike
Level :
Tech Points : 3
Posted:5/16/2012 11:32:00 AM # 10

Quote:
Author: Mike Posted: 3/16/2012 11:25:00 PM

Quote:

Hello, I agree with you about the manual. I have the wireless up and running. Have you looked in the wireless settings that you have the Wireless - Professional that teh Enable Radio is set to
Yes ? What kind of wireless adapter do you have on your computer ?

Hey, well I finally figured out how to get back on this website. Forgot where the site was, my user name password etc... Any way I was able to get the wireless stuff up and running the same day just took me a little while to figure that being I was 150 feet out the back side of the main house and in an aluminum travel trailer that I needed to move the router closer to the end of the house that I am closest to. I moved the router 50 feet closer and have also ran a 16foot USB cable inside of my travel trailer to get the Adapter in a window on the side of the main house. Now there is only about 84 feet between the router and the adapter and I get a very good connection most of the time (weather plays a part now and then). I was just to far away with to many obstacles in the way as well. I had read some where that both this router and adapter would easily reach as far as 400 feet. May be with a straight line of sight with nothing in between, such as wall, trees, and a bamboo garden. Yes I am also hide behind a wall of bamboo. So yes I was having problems that first evening but once I moved things around I have been doing fine. I have now been using the RT-N66U Dark Knight router now for 2 months and never have any problems between it and the Modem. Being the condition I am in as far as distance and Aluminum hull on my trailer I get between low and very good signals to my PC. I am using a Belkin N750 Wireless Dual-Band USB Adapter which I think works just fine (again considering the conditions). Before I figured out to move the Router to the other end of the house closer to the end where my travel trailer is I moved my PC into the main house and every thing worked like a charm. Any way if I do lose the signal out here it always comes back usually before I even know I had lost it. There was one day That I lost signal and just went to bed and had it when I woke up. As I said for the most part I have no problems out here and the others in the main house never have any issues at all. Well there was the one day that the power went out and I had to recycle the power button on the router (nothing else)- Piece of cake. I run on the 2.4 channel but have used the 5 channel just to see if it works, and it does except I think the 2.4 channel works better. So even though I am a bit late with this reply, I highly recommend this router. Be sure and place it in a neutral location. As I pointed out I had to move it about 50 feet and extend the adapter another 16 feet to get it to work for my situation. Come to think of it the Manual did mention this. One of it' main cautions so to speak. My bad. So if you have not gotten a new router yet rest assured that this one works just fine. Oh I do not use it for special stuff as I am barely a novist at computers. I only use it to cruise the web and down and up load stuff. I do not use it for like TV movie stuff or networking at all. Only Internet stuff.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: HHC New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.