SEARCH
ASUS Member ID
Password
Forgot password?
Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Wireless > RT-N66U (VER.B1)  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Sharing]RT-N66U 3.0.0.4.270 Tx Power Adjustment New Topic
Apex
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 10
Posted:1/31/2013 3:50:00 AM # 1
Hello,

I've owned the RT-N66U for about 3 weeks now and it's pretty good, I'm satisfied about it.
I've seen on some forums that this router consumes quite a lot power and I've seen that some users modify the Tx Power Adjustment option but no one quite knows how much that changed anything...

There's one thing that I don't really understand:

What's Tx Power Adjustment about? Can someone explain more please? It's about the power consumption or the wifi signal strength or both?

The default value it's 80Mw. I've changed it to 10Mw for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz but the wifi signal was the same(I've checked the signal strength at predetermined distances until there was no signal at all), and the router heated up the same.

Then I saw people saying that changing the value could affect the router's life span and I've changed it back to 80Mw.

What's the best value?

Thanks a lot.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
RMerlin
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 494
Posted:1/31/2013 6:04:00 AM # 2
Just leave it on the default value.  Adjusting this is mostly meant for people trying to extend their range, it will have no measurable effect on your electricity bill.

BTW, it's 80 mw.  80 Mw would imply Megawatt, which I doubt is the case, unless you are feeding your router with straight 220V ;)

Quote:
Author: Apex Posted: 1/31/2013 3:50:00 AM

Hello,

I've owned the RT-N66U for about 3 weeks now and it's pretty good, I'm satisfied about it.
I've seen on some forums that this router consumes quite a lot power and I've seen that some users modify the Tx Power Adjustment option but no one quite knows how much that changed anything...

What's Tx Power Adjustment about? Can someone explain more please? It's about the power consumption or the wifi signal strength or both?

The default value it's 80Mw. I've changed it to 10Mw for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz but the wifi signal was the same(I've checked the signal strength at predetermined distances until there was no signal at all), and the router heated up the same.

Then I saw people saying that changing the value could affect the router's life span and I've changed it back to 80Mw.

What's the best value?

Thanks a lot.

Custom RT-N16/RT-AC56U/RT-N66U/RT-AC66U firmware: http://www.lostrealm.ca/asuswrt-merlin
Apex
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 10
Posted:1/31/2013 6:48:00 AM # 3

Quote:
Author: RMerlin Posted: 1/31/2013 6:04:00 AM

Just leave it on the default value.  Adjusting this is mostly meant for people trying to extend their range, it will have no measurable effect on your electricity bill.

BTW, it's 80 mw.  80 Mw would imply Megawatt, which I doubt is the case, unless you are feeding your router with straight 220V ;)

Quote:
Author: Apex Posted: 1/31/2013 3:50:00 AM

Hello,

What's the best value?

Thanks a lot.

actually it says 80mW, I've remembered it wrong.
thanks for the info.

Jay
Level :
Tech Points : 44
Posted:1/31/2013 7:01:00 AM # 4
MW stands for Milliwatts and the higher you set it will increase the heat of the router. In the long term will burn out your processor prematurely. 

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.