SEARCH
ASUS Member ID
Password
Forgot password?
Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Wireless > RT-N66U (VER.B1)  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]RT-N66U Wireless Streaming Slow? New Topic
Donger
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:3/16/2012 2:43:00 PM # 1
Hello

I have just received my ASUS RT-N66U the other day and when I connect it up and try to stream HD movies to my boxee box wirelessly the video stutters and lags and then just stops.  I have checked the info in inSSIDer program to see the max rate and its showing as 216 (N) when I thought this thing was supposed to do 450 mbps.  Is there some settings within the router I need to change in order to get faster data transfer wirelessly?

I am hooking up my external hard drive to the usb ports on the router and all is fine there, but I am not sure why I cannot get the files to stream any faster.  I have it upstairs about 40 feet from the boxee box, but I also am using a amped wireless repeater in between (~20 feet in between Boxee Box and Asus) and I still cannot get it to transfer movies without problems.  Can someone please tell me where I am going wrong here?  I am ripping my hair out as I thought this router would be able to do this.  I am on comcast cable internet and should be able to do this. 

I am on the latest firmware update for the router also

Thank you

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
mikeg
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 221
Posted:3/16/2012 8:31:00 PM # 2
I have problems with wireless pc:s dropping the connection and different speed when connected.
I am on firmware .108 and got the suggestion from Asus support to downgrade to .96 firmware
to see if the problem is still there. I will do this , A suggestion : have you tried to change the Tx Power adjustment under Wireless/Professional adjustment ?
Regarding the speed - I get 450 in inSSIDer.

Donger
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:3/16/2012 11:45:00 PM # 3
I am having all kinds of problems with this new router as its failing ping tests and just crashing all of my laptops.  So you think going back to .96 fw will help?  Also when you say adjust Tx power, should I move it to 500 the max as its showing like 80 now.  Also there is an option in the same tab called multicast Rate but its disabled.  Shouldnt that also be enabled to get this routers full power or functionality?
Thanks

mikeg
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/17/2012 2:44:00 AM # 4

Quote:
Author: Donger Posted: 3/16/2012 11:45:00 PM

I am having all kinds of problems with this new router as its failing ping tests and just crashing all of my laptops.  So you think going back to .96 fw will help?  Also when you say adjust Tx power, should I move it to 500 the max as its showing like 80 now.  Also there is an option in the same tab called multicast Rate but its disabled.  Shouldnt that also be enabled to get this routers full power or functionality?
Thanks

I would recommend you to wait for a couple of days as I am testing now with the .96 fw.
I put the value for Tx power to max for my regiom , thats is 100 mW so yes try with the 500 mW
and see how it will work for you. I have multicast Rate disabled.

KevTech
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 66
Posted:3/18/2012 2:01:00 AM # 5
96 firmware had wireless issues.

102 and 108 resolved those issues.

mikeg
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/18/2012 4:19:00 AM # 6

Quote:
Author: KevTech Posted: 3/18/2012 2:01:00 AM

96 firmware had wireless issues.

102 and 108 resolved those issues.

Interesting that Asus support personal wanted me to downgrade from the 108 firmware to the
96. They should know about this issues in the 96 firmware.....

KevTech
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/18/2012 9:46:00 AM # 7
One of the issues fixed in 102 and 108.

RF power decrease issue reported in 3.0.0.3.96

Did you reset to defaults and reenter your setup after 108 upgrade?

I have found that this has solved others issues after they upgraded to 108.

Actually, I reset and reenter all my setup info after upgrading firmware.

You do not know what changes were made to the code so reset defaults also clears nvram.

You will not get 450 unless your adapter supports it.

mikeg
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/18/2012 7:12:00 PM # 8

Quote:
Author: KevTech Posted: 3/18/2012 9:46:00 AM

One of the issues fixed in 102 and 108.

RF power decrease issue reported in 3.0.0.3.96

Did you reset to defaults and reenter your setup after 108 upgrade?

I have found that this has solved others issues after they upgraded to 108.

Actually, I reset and reenter all my setup info after upgrading firmware.

You do not know what changes were made to the code so reset defaults also clears nvram.

You will not get 450 unless your adapter supports it.

Yes , I reseted to defaults and reentered my setup after .108 upgrade.
I have to reset and reenter my setup info as I can not upgrade the firmware in the GUI.
Have to go thrue the rescue mode - Restore default NVRAM values and then the Asus Utility
Firmware Recovery to get the new firmware loaded.
The 450 speed is not the issue here. I get disconnections and lower speeds on two stationary
PC:s which have Dlink DWA-160 and Asus N53 which are 5 to 7 meters from the router with 2 concrete walls about 15 cm thickness each. Now I am back on the .108 firmware and wait
for the store to get in more devices so I can replace mine with a hopefully better working unit.

KevTech
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/19/2012 5:22:00 AM # 9
Mike-Is this on the 2.4 or 5GHz radio?

The 2.4 will fall back to 20Mhz if it detects lots of other signals around you (neighbors).

All consumer grade routers do this.

Since you know how to use the recover utility you could put tomatousb firmware (shibby build) on the router to try out as it may resolve your issues.

The aio build (all in one) has all the options in it.

You could always go back to stock firmware if you do not like Tomato.

mikeg
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:3/19/2012 11:24:00 PM # 10

Quote:
Author: KevTech Posted: 3/19/2012 5:22:00 AM

Mike-Is this on the 2.4 or 5GHz radio?

The 2.4 will fall back to 20Mhz if it detects lots of other signals around you (neighbors).

All consumer grade routers do this.

Since you know how to use the recover utility you could put tomatousb firmware (shibby build) on the router to try out as it may resolve your issues.

The aio build (all in one) has all the options in it.

You could always go back to stock firmware if you do not like Tomato.
This is on the 2.4 GHz radio. I had a Netgear router before and I had not this kind of problems
with the connections downgrading in speed or not have any connection at all. I am getting a strong feeling that I have a product which is not ok.
As I spend more hours than I like to test variations with the firmware I will rest now - perhaps
when I have more time and more up to it I will test the tomatousb firmware.
Anyway , it looks like Asus has some things to fix with firmware.

1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.