ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Wireless > RT-N66R  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Can I put dd-wrt or Tomato on this New Topic
4rings
Level :
Tech Points : 44
Posted:10/23/2012 3:03:00 AM # 1
Hi,

I just bought a RT-N66R wireless router at Best Buy.  I had originally wanted to buy the RT-N66U but they don't carry that model with the 'U' designation.  I have read that the RT-N66U will accept dd-wrt or Tomato.  In talking with some folks over the phone, I am being told that the U and R are exactly the same model.  Can anyone confirm this, and in turn, confirm that the R model will accept dd-wrt or Tomato?

Thank you.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Daniel
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:10/24/2012 3:03:00 AM # 2
Hi

See this link http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20121005025432423&board_id=11&model=RT-AC66R&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

The link talks about the "AC" version of the same router you purchased which is the "N" version. The "R" you bought at Best Buy is the same as the "U" version, it's just "R" because it's what ASUS uses for routers they sell out of Best Buy. No idea why, but same exact router as the "U".

I highly recommend DD-WRT for your router. This version should work for your router http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-N66U

It's not available yet for the RT-AC66R but as soon as it is, I will flash it. Many more options available.

Hope that helps.

RMerlin
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 494
Posted:10/25/2012 9:15:00 AM # 3

Running DD-WRT on the RT-N66U at this time is a bad idea. The CFE only addresses 32 KB out of 64 KB, and DD-WRT will quickly fill that up, causing the router to crash and wipe out all your settings.

Some people are working on a CFE update with a compatible DD-WRT build (check the DD-WRT forums for more details, note however that this work is targeted at the RT-N66U - they don't have a RT-N66R CFE in hand yet to see if it's different).

Custom RT-N16/RT-AC56U/RT-N66U/RT-AC66U firmware: http://www.lostrealm.ca/asuswrt-merlin
4rings
Level :
Posted:10/26/2012 5:46:00 AM # 4
Thank you ddwrtfan and RMerlin for your replies.  I will continue to watch the ddwrt forum.

Jay
Level :
Posted:6/8/2013 10:48:00 AM # 5
DD-WRT has poor range then the stock firmware. Stay with stock you will be more happier.

hackerjunk2
Level :
Tech Points : 3
Posted:7/17/2014 3:02:00 PM # 6
>Nevermind. Started to post to the wrong topic...didn't see a delete. Ignore this post

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.