ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Wireless > RT-N56U  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Port forwarding for Utorrent New Topic
Chan
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:3/20/2012 10:22:00 AM # 1
How can I set up the Port Forwarding for my Utorrent ? Can u show it to me step by step since I am a novice in computer. Thanks.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Zainday
Level :
Tech Points : 61
Posted:3/21/2012 1:33:00 PM # 2
This video should help.....Although the user in the video is using a netgear router, the basics are the same..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS1kDUc5gUM To set the static ip on the asus goto LAN tab and then DHCP SERVER tab. Enable Manual Assignment to Yes. Then enter in your mac address and set an ip address. Example : ############ 192.168.0.101 (# signs refer to your mac address, most routers use a : sign in between every two characters of your mac address, but the asus doesn't) To set the port forwarding on the asus goto WAN tab and then PORT FORWARDING tab. Enable Port Forwarding to Yes. Then enter the port you want forwarded to use for Utorrent. Example : Utorrent 56101 192.168.0.101 56101 BOTH (You probably will need to restart you cpu after you set the ip address so that the router reassigns the new ip to your cpu of use...) Hope that helps...

ASUS RT-N56U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.376.1665
Chan
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:3/22/2012 10:59:00 AM # 3
Thanks for the tip. Will give it a try but not quite understand on the Static IP part. I thought there is always one Ip# for my notebook. Did that change everytime I turn On n Off the notebook ?

Zainday
Level :
Tech Points : 61
Posted:3/22/2012 2:04:00 PM # 4
There is dynamic and static ip's. If you don't set up a static ip for your device, then the router will assign one.(This would be a dynamic ip) The problem with a dynamic ip is that if you have multiple devices, then the router will assign a dynamic ip to the device, but if you turn that device off and a different device on, then the router might assign the same ip to both devices (if not being used at the same time). If you use dynamic ip's the ip assignment will be determined by the order in which the device is connected. Example: so if you turn on cpu1 first, then cpu2 second, cpu1 might be 110 and cpu2 might be 111 (for example, just using last digits of ip address) but if you turned them both off and turned cpu2 on first and then cpu1 on second, cpu2 might be 110 and cpu1 might be 111. Hopefully this will show you that this can create problems when trying to open a port for a particular device, since ports forwarded cannot be shared by multiple devices. So it's best to assign a static ip to each device. That way no matter what order you turn them on, they will always have the same ip address. To do this you need the mac id of the device. Each device made has it's own unique mac address. (kinda like a finger print, they are always unique) This way you can always make sure that the port that your forward to the ip , is set up for the device that you want it assigned to. (You can always use UPnP, if you don't want to deal with any of this stuff, but that leaves your network open to alot of other possibilities and not as secure as port forwarding and static ip's) It is always best to turn UPnP off, if you port forward and vice versa. If you want to secure your network down even more you can use mac filtering, which will only allow devices access to the router that are entered into your mac address filter. Hope that helps clearify a little more. If you have more questions , I'll try and help.

ASUS RT-N56U Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.376.1665
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.