Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Wireless > RT-N56U  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]RT-N56U Not connecting to cable modem New Topic
Torenko
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:1/6/2012 4:04:00 PM # 1
I just bought this product today to upgrade from my older router but I'm having a problem: It won't connect to my cable modem (via the WAN ethernet port), so I can't connect to the internet.

http://i43.tinypic.com/ftdk4y.jpg  http://i42.tinypic.com/11ih508.jpg

When I connect the router to my computer via ethernet cable, the light on the ethernet port of the router comes on, but when I connect my cable modem to the the router through the WAN ethernet port, the WAN port's LED does not come on at all and I keep getting an error message on my browser saying that I need to make sure the ethernet cable is connected.

I've tried three different ethernet cables, including the one that came with the router, with no luck (WAN LED lights never come on). I've also tried cloning the MAC address, restoring to factory default, updating the routers firmware, and holding the reset button on the modem for 15 seconds, among other things. Anyone know what the problem could be?

Also, somthing that might be worth noting: While one end is connected to my modem, if I plug the ethernet cord into one of the 4 ethernet ports on the router, the green LED instantly turns on but, as I said before, there's no activity when plugged into the WAN port.

My modem is an Arris TM052G provided by my ISP, Time Warner Cable.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Torenko
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:1/10/2012 6:44:00 PM # 2
I still haven't been able to resolve this issue and I've contacted ASUS technical support about this and am hoping to hear back from them soon.

Because at least one of the LED lights comes on whenever I plug an ethernet cable into any of the ports except the WAN port, someone on another forum suggested that it could be a defective WAN port. I was hoping that that wasn't the case, but it seems likely. I'm hoping someone could help me find a solution before I return it Friday.

harsh132
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 155
Posted:1/10/2012 10:34:00 PM # 3

Quote:
Author: Torenko Posted: 1/10/2012 6:44:00 PM

I still haven't been able to resolve this issue and I've contacted ASUS technical support about this and am hoping to hear back from them soon.

Because at least one of the LED lights comes on whenever I plug an ethernet cable into any of the ports except the WAN port, someone on another forum suggested that it could be a defective WAN port. I was hoping that that wasn't the case, but it seems likely. I'm hoping someone could help me find a solution before I return it Friday.

You transferred your modem in bridge mode? IP on the router other than the modem?

Asus RT-N56U Firmware 3.0.2.6-020
TheEdge
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:1/17/2012 4:28:00 AM # 4
I transferred my modem to bridge mode and it worked, but with my old router (Linksys RT54G2), there was no need doing this. And I had no problem configuring the old router, but with this Asus RT56U, it was pretty difficult!!!
I had to break the original firmware on the modem, that was blocked, to change it to bridge, because I was not able to make my connection work with the modem in router mode... The RT56U did find the modem, connect with it, but was not able to connect to internet. The message returned that there was no connection with DNS servers... I tried to change the router in to AP mode, but it was worst!!!
Anyway, now is working...

Irv
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 8
Posted:1/21/2012 1:43:00 AM # 5
I basically have/had the same problem. However I had it working (the RT-N56U) for 2 months, then one day I couldn't reach the Internet... E-Mail client couldn't find the SMTP server... didn't think much of it and saved the e-mail to try later... short time later used my browser and it worked fine for 3 sites. Then it couldn't connect. Trouble shot it and discovered the router did NOT have a WAN address? Called my ISP to see if they had a problem, they didn't, they couldn't see my router (ISP modem/router combo was in Bridged mode and was working, confirmed by connecting a wired computer to their device). We went though further troubleshooting and powering everything off and then on in the proper sequence had the router working again, for 2 minutes... Call ASUS they walked me through the same process, this time it wouldn't connect. RMA'ed the device for me to return.

How did you get it working?

THAT SAID, I am very disappointed with the RMA process, can't seem to call them, line continually busy, on the web page they claim not to have gotten it, but the Post Office said it was delivered...

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: HHC New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.