Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Wireless > RT-N56U  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]no bridge mode New Topic
Nugent
Level :
Tech Points : 5
Posted:11/13/2011 6:39:00 AM # 1
It seems the RTN56U can't be made to operate in conventional bridge mode, i.e. acting as just another wireless client that has it's own IP but is bridged to a PC via ethernet. It certainly has the HW to run in this mode, but for whatever reason the firmware doesn't seem to support this.

Frankly I'm a little hacked off with Asus as it should not give the false impression that it supports true bridging. That proprietary AP mode which basically shuts down all features other than wireless is in no way shape or form a complementary part of a true bridging set up. In a true bridging set up one RTN56U would run as a router in normal IP sharing mode while one or more complementary RTN56Us would run as bridges attached to the client devices (like the bridging offered by the NetGear WNHDE111). Users of RTN56Us should not need to sacrifice routing and their firewall in order to get true bridging out of a pair of RTN56Us. Asus, please fix this via a firmware release. Thank you.

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
DaveTrouser
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 60
Posted:11/16/2011 4:40:00 AM # 2
Funny, as I just got this router. I don't recall any spec or description that said it could be a true wireless client (only in regard to WDS, which isn't strictly a client). AP only mode is not the correct mode to be using either. The "Hybrid" WDS mode will do what you want. edit: sorry for the one-line: none of my formatting is retained in this forum for some reason!

Nugent
Level :
Posted:11/16/2011 6:53:00 AM # 3
How do you know if the Hybrid mode will do what I want? Have you tried it in the way I described, with another RT-N56U as router in "IP sharing" operation? I spent the better part of a day trying to obtain wireless client behavior without any luck. Hybrid mode did not yield anything positive or encouraging. It's possible I missed something vital, but if I did it certainly isn't an obvious setting as I painstakingly compared settings on both RT-N56Us.

DaveTrouser
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 60
Posted:11/16/2011 8:06:00 AM # 4
From what you said, you want one N65U to be the Internet Gateway Router. You want one or more others to be bridges to the main router, sharing the Internet access via Ethernet (and in fact WiFi too). Is that right? From the description of Hybrid mode, it says it will do just that (with all the N65Us set to Hybrid). The Gateway N56U must have the MACs of all the client N56Us in its list, and the client N56Us must each have the Gateway MAC in their lists (but not each other!). The wireless security setting (under WDS, not main) must be identical on each router. The Firewall on the client routers should be turned off (ie, NAT) as it will cause problems with Internet access on machines connected via them. Only the Gateway router should have a firewall. Therefore, you need the Gateway router in sharing mode, and the other client routers should be in "Router" mode (not AP!). It is possible (though I have yet to verify it), that each of the bridge routers could also have its own separate SSID in addition to the bridge wireless connection (perhaps to allow guest access). This certainly works on my other cheapo Tenda routers, and I can't see an immediate reason why the ASUS won't do that unless the firmware prohibits it. I can't verify your setup fully right now, as I am awaiting broadband installation. My access right now is bodged horribly via my mobile phone... as the ASUS doesn't allow wireless WAN, as far as I can tell, and I don't have a 3G stick. Phone --> Tenda W306R --> ASUS RT-N56U --> PC :-D

Nugent
Level :
Posted:12/21/2011 12:33:00 PM # 5
align="justify">Woohoo, I got it to work per your recipe! Not sure what the critical setting was. Maybe having each others MAC in the list? But the odd thing about that is that I had to do absolutely nothing for my NetGear bridge to work, i.e. I didn't need to add the MAC. Bottom line is that the bridging now works with both RT-N56Us. Now for the interesting part of testing for throughput. I suspect this will be much faster than the NetGear bridge. Many thanks for your help.

Ken
Level :
Tech Points : 4
Posted:1/11/2012 2:58:00 AM # 6
Hello, I am trying to do same and was looking for help as well. I posted my issue on the following post and was wondering if you can give me some pointers as to what I might be doing wrong. I am using a N56U and Belkin 8233-4 which only have AP mode option. Is this even possible with these two routers? http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20111227083255611&board_id=11&model=RT-N56U&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

RT-N56U
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: HHC New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.