SEARCH
ASUS Member ID
Password
Forgot password?
Join member

ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Wireless > RT-N56U  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Others]Virtual Server/Port forwarding Guide (Apple Facetime) New Topic
AsusNet
Level :
Tech Points : 247
Posted:10/12/2011 8:28:00 AM # 1
This thread is listed in the Elite Posts.
Hello everyone,

For those of you that do not know, port forwarding is called Virtual Server on Asus routers. This will be clarified in a future firmware update for some models. For now, here are some steps for port forwarding.

I will be using Apple Facetime as an example.

To use FaceTime on a restricted network, port forwarding must be enabled for these ports:

• 443 (TCP)
  • 3478 through 3497 (UDP)
  • 5223 (TCP)
  • 16384 through 16387 (UDP)
  • 16393 through 16402 (UDP)

You will need to log into the router's GUI. If you need assistance getting to the GUI, refer to your manual.
The default is http://192.168.1.1 with username/password: admin

Two tasks need to be done:
-Create a static IP for the device you are using facetime
-Set up Virtual Server(port forwarding)

You can set up your device for static IP on the router or do it on the device itself. I will show you where to set up static IP from your router.

Go to Advance Setting - LAN - DHCP Server.
sTATICipdhcp.png
Under "Mnaually Assign IP around DHCP",  Enable manual assignments. You will add the IP and MAC address of your Facetime device then press "Add". I already added that entry so you all will know what it looks like. Press "Apply" to save and apply the settings.

The Virtual Server(port forwarding) option is under Advance setting - WAN - Virtual server.
Facetimeports.png
You will set up the ports that need to be forwarded here. There are 5 entries here. After each entry, make sure you press "add".

Service name: What you would like to call the service.
Port Range: External ports that are being forwarded. Use ":" to indicate "through"
IP address: the IP address of the facetime device.
Local Port: The port of the facetime device.
Protocol: The protocol of the port.

Most of this information will be given by the software that requires port forwarding.
Press "Apply" to finish setting up port forwarding.

Please let me know if this works for you as I will make this a sticky if everything is correct :)

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Optimus2357
Level :
Tech Points : 47
Posted:10/15/2011 8:50:00 AM # 2
Great posts. A good walk through for port forwarding in general too. PS. Epic MS Paint skills. :-)

Nugent
Level :
Tech Points : 5
Posted:11/13/2011 6:57:00 AM # 3
You made the static IP 192.168.1.119, but the port forwarding IP target is 192.168.1.210. What am I missing, aren't we trying to forward ports to the device for which the static IP was just entered, 192.168.1.119 ??

AsusNet
Level :
Tech Points : 247
Posted:11/16/2011 9:42:00 AM # 4
Sorry, but if you refer to the pictures, just use one IP(192.168.1.210 or 119). I could not set the manual IP list to 220 due to the fact that I was already using it. Sorry for the confusion.

kenguru
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:11/19/2011 10:58:00 PM # 5
If Asus could fix this UPNP issue then FaceTime should work for all clients in a network without setting up virtual servers or mapping ports manually.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20111119224751147&SLanguage=en-us&board_id=11&model=RT-N56U

Stornello
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:1/12/2012 12:55:00 AM # 6
do you have to do this for each facetime device?? Just found this and it worked for me w/o adding all the port-forwarding!! Try this patch solution before the new F/W comes out. Add either 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 (both are google public DNS) on your IPad/iphone/ipod to resolve Apple face time problem It works fine for me. I guest there is a bug on DNS proxy of the router. On iPhone 4, goto settings, Wi-Fi, DNS, add 8.8.8.8 after the default assigned DNS. (e.g 192.168.1.1, 8.8.8.8)

samu-rai
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:8/14/2013 7:55:00 PM # 7

I have the RT-N12E, and under virtual server, have very limited settings in comparison to those shown above.

Could anybody offer any advice? It does state on the product page that this model is capable of port forwarding.

Alex
Level :
Tech Points : 0
Posted:8/25/2013 1:00:00 PM # 8
I have the same problem. Any luck with RT-N12E port forwarding?

Emmanuel
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:10/11/2013 2:32:00 AM # 9
I have a similar problem, but with Apple TV and my Router is Model RT-N66U.  I cannot get my Desktop to see or Communicate with Apple TV. Will the port forwarding solve this ?
Thanks.

Problem resolved by reinstalling Windows.

Bill
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 50
Posted:2/13/2014 9:25:00 AM # 10
Thank you for this information for using Facetime on a restricted network.  As a newbie and a pretty ignorant guy, could you try to give me a sense of the following:

Will this process be analogous for an ASUS RT-AC68U router?

With opening these ports, is there reason to be fearful of increased firewall vulnerability?

I am also assuming that I need to assign static IP addresses for all devices which may access/use Facetime within the restricted network, right?

In advance, thanks.  Your help is most appreciated.

ASUS Rampage III Formula; Intel Core i7-980X; Corsair Hydro Series H70; GSkill, 24GB F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL, DDR3-1600-PC3-12800, CORSAIR CMPSU-1200AX; Evga GeForce GTX 470; Win7-64 bit; O/S: Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1; Scratch: RAID0: 2x WD740GD, 70GB, SATA, 10kRPM (software controller); Storage: RAID3: 3x 2 TB WD RE4 (Areca 1880-ix-16 SAS PCI RAID Card-6Gb/s); CoolerMaster HAF-X.
1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.