pjrocco
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:4/5/2017 10:41:00 PM # 1

Greetings,

Comcast Extreme 105 (130/25)

Arris 6121

Asus RT-AC66U

I have a RT-AC66U I’ve been using for about a year and a half. Over the past 6 months my WiFi speed on both bands has been throttled to 30/25 on 2.4m and 40/25 on 5g. In the past I was getting the same WiFi speeds as the wired speeds. I’ve tried a master reset, changing the channels using WiFi analyzer, only having one device on the network at a time, upgrading the firmware and nothing seems to change.

My thought was the router was on its way out so I picked up a RT-AC68U. Guess what, same issue. Can’t seem to get faster than 40/25 even with only one WiFi device connected. Wired speed is on point at 130/25 all day long.

I contacted Comcast to get some help and after they remoted into my network, they stated my modem was bad which is causing my poor WiFi speeds. This seems odd to me since my wired speeds from the modem are correct. I’m willing to buy a new modem, but after just dropping $150 on the 68U, I’m bit hesitant to spend another $120 on a modem.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
planiwa
Level :
Posted:4/6/2017 5:27:00 AM # 2
How were those speeds measured?  Internet speed test?>
>Can you try a Wifi speed test? (CloudCheck , Wi-Fi Sweetspots)>
>
>What are the Rx / Tx data rates the router sees:>>
>Network Map .. Clients: View List>
>
>What is the Signal Strength?  (How many vertical bars?)>
>Does it depend on distance from the router?>
>Do all devices get the same measurement?>

>
>[what happened to my newlines?]

pjrocco
Level :
Posted:4/6/2017 10:17:00 PM # 3

Quote:
Author: planiwa Posted: 4/6/2017 5:27:00 AM

How were those speeds measured?  Internet speed test?>
>Can you try a Wifi speed test? (CloudCheck , Wi-Fi Sweetspots)>
>
>What are the Rx / Tx data rates the router sees:>>
>Network Map .. Clients: View List>
>
>What is the Signal Strength?  (How many vertical bars?)>
>Does it depend on distance from the router?>
>Do all devices get the same measurement?>

>
>[what happened to my newlines?]

Speeds were measured via Speedtest.net.>
>I'm certain how a WiFi speed test and an internet speed test differ. If you're referring to a LAN test then I have already performed that with good numbers. >
>Router sees 144/44 for the RX/TX>
>Only one device on the network while testing, which is a Samsung Galaxy S7.>
>Signal strength is at full bars. Speed stays the same at full bars or two bars.>
>All devices measure the same. 

planiwa
Level :
Posted:4/13/2017 9:44:00 AM # 4
What I would do is measure the data rate over WiFi, between a WLAN host and the router.  I have a handy little program to do this, for Mac, but anyone with a functional ping command can do this.>
>Internet "speed" tests are good for confirming that everything works, but if there is a problem anywhere, an Internet "speed" test can tell you that there is a problem, but not where.>
>Apparently you have no Internet problem, since ethernet devices always get the full data rate of 100+ Mbps.  But WLAN devices never get more than 40 Mbps.>
>You conclude that your WIFI AP "throttles" your speed.   I have not encountered this.>
>What I have observed with Asus routers, N16, N66U, and AC66U, is "radio fatigue", where WIFI devices cannot "see" the AP, or, after associating, they lose association, or the SNR becomes unusable because RSSI becomes too weak.  In such situations connectivity may be fine within 5m, but unreliable over 10m.  This may happen after 1-2 years of use.>
>But I have never seen a case where a WLAN client that previously tested at 100Mbps consistently tests (reliably!) at 40 Mbps, 3m from the AP.>
>And you say that this happens with both your AC66U and your AC68U.  This sounds very interesting.   The two wifi-testing apps that I mentioned are available free for Android.  I would definitely recommend testing your WIFI "speed".

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.