ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Wireless > RT-AC66U  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Wake on Lan remote access New Topic
Ridetheg
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:10/3/2014 5:29:00 PM # 1
Hi Everyone,>
>I just cannot make Wake on Lan work with my router.>Works on the internal home network but not remotely/ externally so it is definately has to do something with my router and settings.>
>Some of the settings I have gone through:>- Turn on WOL setting in your BIOS> style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; color: rgb(85, 85, 85); font-size: 14px; line-height: 22.3999996185303px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">

- Turn on WOL and WOL w/magic packet on your network card setting in windows (or to make sure it is ticked)

- Make sure your computer is set on sleep after X minutes (S3 mode) if your bios does not support WOL for S4 (Hibernation) or S5 (shut-down)

- Have your router portforwarding WOL port 9 or 7

Beside using VPN, is there anyway to make WOL work externally?

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
bleont
Level :
Tech Points : 43
Posted:10/5/2014 12:59:00 AM # 2
You must set a static ARP entry into your router.
On a Windows computer, this is how I do it.
First, set a static ip address on your network card in your computer, write this address down, and then obtain MAC address of your network card and write this down also.
You can find this from the command prompt by typing ipconfig /all.

1. Enable telnet from router interface. Administration > System > Enable Telnet (Yes), Apply.
2. From windows command prompt, type the following,
telnet xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx    <Enter> press the enter key, don't type Enter.

where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the ip address of your router, most likely on a home router might be something like 192.168.1.1 or similar.

Enter your username for router when prompt comes up.
Enter your password for router when prompt comes up.

3. Type the following after logon to router via telnet.
arp -s xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx yy:yy:yy:yy:yy:yy <Enter>

Where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the STATIC ip address of your network card, and
yy:yy:yy:yy:yy:yy is the MAC address of your network card.

NOTICE, the ip address numbers are separated by periods ".", and the mac address numbers are separated by colons ":", with a space in between the two.

To see if it was done correctly, type ARP from telnet prompt, it should show your computer ip address and mac address with PERM in the line, meaning permanent.
However, if you reboot your router, you will still have to enter this again, as it erases the arp table when you reboot.
At the telnet prompt, if all looks good, then type,
Exit <Enter>
Then exit command prompt.

I have a script to do this automatically whenever I reboot.

Ridetheg
Level :
Posted:10/6/2014 12:24:00 AM # 3
Just awesome. Thanks a lot.>
>Does that put my HTPC externally to risk, like if some portscanner could wake my device up?

bleont
Level :
Tech Points : 43
Posted:10/6/2014 1:24:00 PM # 4

Possible = Yes
Likely = No

Someone would have to know exactly, your MAC address AND ip address combination.
Just to put it into perspective. There are 281,474,976,710,656 (Yes, that's trillions) possible MAC address combinations alone, and that's before we tie the ip address into the equation.
To further protect yourself, open a port besides 7 or 9, perhaps above 50000.
Now if a port sniffer found your open port, it would not know what to do with it.
Someone would have to know for instance, to send the exact MAC address ip address combination to udp port 50785, and to send it a magic packet.
This is highly unlikely. Not totally impossible, but unlikely.

msurmun
Level :
Posted:5/18/2015 2:39:00 PM # 5
Hi bleont, thanks for the post. Really useful and detailed. Would be good to know how you created the script to add the arp entry automatically when the router reboots? Thanks...> 

mkanet
Level :
Tech Points : 4
Posted:7/4/2017 12:38:00 PM # 6
>I was able to follow the steps without any issues.  Thanks.  In order to run this command automatically on router startup, you need to do the following:>
>1. Upgrade to the latest Merlin firmware for your router (just install the firmware like you would any normal Asus firmware.>
>2.  Follow the steps described in the thread below.  Worked like a charm:>
>http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20141003172841807&SLanguage=en-us&board_id=11&model=RT-AC66U&page=1>
Quote:
Author: msurmun Posted: 5/18/2015 2:39:00 PM

Hi bleont, thanks for the post. Really useful and detailed. Would be good to know how you created the script to add the arp entry automatically when the router reboots? Thanks...> 

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.