ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Wireless > RT-AC66U  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]Accessing/logging into the modem New Topic
Clive
Level :
Tech Points : 38
Posted:12/5/2012 12:24:00 AM # 1
Hi,
I have my RT-AC66U on my LAN feeding a bridged ADSL modem at the moment.
Is there any way I can access the modem from a LAN side client?
I want to monitor my adsl stats.

My current setup (which is working fine) is....

Modem:
WAN IP = Dynamic
Local IP = 192.168.0.65
Connection = 1483 Bridge IP VC Mux
DHCP = Disabled

Router:
IP = 192.168.0.1
Subnet = 255.255.255.192
DHCP Range = 192.168.0.2..62

a call to the modem's IP of 192.168.0.65 goes straight past the modem and into tghe ISP network according to tracert. But if I put it within the LAN subnet a call to it will be searched for on the LAN and not passed to the WAN??

Any help/ideas appreciated.
Regards
Clive

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
Regards Clive
RMerlin
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 494
Posted:12/5/2012 2:30:00 AM # 2

The router and the modem must be in different IP blocks, otherwise you might run into issues.

See this thread on how to do it using Asuswrt-Merlin. With the Asus firmware you will have to manually re-run both commands every time your reboot.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=8823

Custom RT-N16/RT-AC56U/RT-N66U/RT-AC66U firmware: http://www.lostrealm.ca/asuswrt-merlin
Clive
Level :
Posted:12/5/2012 5:08:00 PM # 3

Quote:
Author: RMerlin Posted: 12/5/2012 2:30:00 AM

The router and the modem must be in different IP blocks, otherwise you might run into issues.

See this thread on how to do it using Asuswrt-Merlin. With the Asus firmware you will have to manually re-run both commands every time your reboot.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=8823

Thanks RMerlin,
The Modem is in a seperate subnet to my Router so OK there I think.
A treacert to the modem's IP shows the packets routing out via my WAN port but going straight to the ISP WAN and ignored by the Modem. I assume because it is already ppp encapsulated and the Modem has been set to bridge so it's doing as it's told.
Interesting reading on the link you give. I'll have a read up. So it's safe to run the commands on Asus firmware? In that cae I'll test it but will, in all probability flash your firmware. Sounds interesting.
Many thanks for the help.

Regards Clive
Clive
Level :
Posted:12/5/2012 6:05:00 PM # 4
@RMerlin,
If I want to test this on stock Asus firmware before I flash your firmware am I right in assuming that I just create a folder under /jffs i.e /jffs/scripts (The jffs directory is already there) put the scripts in there and run them.
If all goes well I plan to flash your firmware to make it permanent/persistent.
Coming from stock Asus to your firmware will I loose all my settings?
If  the settings are there is it ok to assume they are fine or should I reset and reconfig?
If the settings aren't there is it advisable to flash a saved .config file or best to rebuild manualy?
Also can I assume my Asus waranty will be null and void?
All advice greatly appreciated.

Sorry: just read your wiki which answers most of my questions.

Regards Clive
RMerlin
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:12/5/2012 11:03:00 PM # 5

Quote:
Author: Clive Posted: 12/5/2012 6:05:00 PM

@RMerlin,
If I want to test this on stock Asus firmware before I flash your firmware am I right in assuming that I just create a folder under /jffs i.e /jffs/scripts (The jffs directory is already there) put the scripts in there and run them.
If all goes well I plan to flash your firmware to make it permanent/persistent.
Coming from stock Asus to your firmware will I loose all my settings?
If  the settings are there is it ok to assume they are fine or should I reset and reconfig?
If the settings aren't there is it advisable to flash a saved .config file or best to rebuild manualy?
Also can I assume my Asus waranty will be null and void?
All advice greatly appreciated.

There is no JFFS support on the stock firmware (that directory is just a read-only mount point), so you would have to manually type the content of the two scripts (just the commands, not the #!/bin/sh shebang).>
>
>Switching from stock to Asuswrt-Merlin will not affect your settings.  You can directly upgrade and everything will still be there.>
>
>Note that JFFS support on the RT-AC66U is a little bit iffy.  Some people had to try 4-5 times to be able to finally format the JFFS partition - this is due to the type of flash memory used by the RT-AC66U (compared to the RT-N66U or RT-N16).>
>
>The warranty part is probably a grey area.  Seeing how Asus themselves have recommended DD-WRT for some of their routers in the past (they even used to have a webpage dedicated to it on their website), I would say your warranty will be fine.  You can always easily flash back to the stock firmware anyway.>
>

Custom RT-N16/RT-AC56U/RT-N66U/RT-AC66U firmware: http://www.lostrealm.ca/asuswrt-merlin
Clive
Level :
Posted:12/5/2012 11:48:00 PM # 6
Many thanks RMerlin, you are indeed a Wizard ;-)

Regards Clive
Clive
Level :
Posted:12/6/2012 12:19:00 AM # 7
I think this may be a dim question but here goes anyway..
Before I do anything I have a /jffs folder.
I enable jffs, set it to format on reboot and apply the settings
I then reboot the router.
How do I know if it has successfuly formatted the jffs partition?
I still have the /jffs folder but it is still empty.
In your guide on smallnetbuilder the guy you are helping talks about the /jffs/scripts folder.
Is this created automatically or do I have to create it?
I got the impression it was created automatically but I have tried to format about 10 times now and get the same results.
I know you say it may take several attempts but I want to be sure what I am looking for.

Regards Clive
RMerlin
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:12/6/2012 9:53:00 AM # 8
Yes, the scripts folder will be automatically created if succesfull.  I fear you might be suffering from the known issue where the RT-AC66U has troubles properly formatting the partition.  Try rebooting the router a second time without selecting the format option.  If there is still no scripts folder, then I'm afraid you are one of those with that issue.  I haven't found any sure way around it yet, sorry :(>

Clive
Level :
Posted:12/6/2012 5:33:00 PM # 9
Thanks again RMerlin, I wasn't rebooting a second time after each format. A quick reboot and all is well.
Ran the commands manually and it worked fine.
Now on your firmware, looks great btw, having issues trying to run the scripts at the moment but I'll go over the guide again. I must have missed something.

Regards Clive
Clive
Level :
Posted:12/6/2012 6:43:00 PM # 10
Hopefully one last question.
On the subject of subnet masking.
I follow the basic principles of this rather hot topic but not to sure about the clients setup.
If I have a subnet mask on my router of 255.255.255.192.
Do all the clients use the same subnet mask regardless of which subnet they are in?
For instance if I have a client in subnet 1 on w.x.y.70 and one on subnet 2 on w.x.y.160.
If I set them with the same subnet mask as above will they be able to talk to others on their own subnet but not to each other. I'm assuming manual setup/static IP and not DHCP.

Regards Clive
1 2  Next  Last
Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.