ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Wireless > RT-AC66U  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]USB External Drive Not working for Mac? New Topic
PATRICK
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 5
Posted:10/21/2012 12:19:00 AM # 1
I am unable to see my existing partitions, files, folders etc on my HDD on the USB port. I am using an iMac OSX I was just looking at this page http://event.asus.com/2009/networks/disksupport/ and it appears that these routers do not support Mac OS Extended formatting? Does anyone know of a workaround? I use my external drive to backup my data from my iMac and it would be good to put it away out of sight with the router but I have to use the Mac disk formatting for time machine and cloning. When I put the disk on the USB port of the router, I can create new folders in the very small part that is not formatted in Mac OS extended but I can't access the existing partitions that I need to read and write to. Can anyone suggest a solution?

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
RMerlin
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 494
Posted:10/21/2012 1:27:00 AM # 2

You will have to format the disk in a format that is supported by both OS X and Linux, such as NTFS.

Custom RT-N16/RT-AC56U/RT-N66U/RT-AC66U firmware: http://www.lostrealm.ca/asuswrt-merlin
PATRICK
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 5
Posted:10/23/2012 1:09:00 AM # 3
Thanks Merlin. I figured as much. Do you know if it is likely that future firmware upgrades will include the Mac OS X journaling format?

RMerlin
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:10/23/2012 3:46:00 AM # 4

Quote:
Author: PATRICK Posted: 10/23/2012 1:09:00 AM

Thanks Merlin. I figured as much. Do you know if it is likely that future firmware upgrades will include the Mac OS X journaling format?

That would require Asus to license the HPFS+ enabled version of the Paragon driver they use to access NTFS filesystems.  So that'd be up to them.  Might be a cost attached to it if they wanted to get that version.

On top of that it will require adding support for it in the firmware itself.

Custom RT-N16/RT-AC56U/RT-N66U/RT-AC66U firmware: http://www.lostrealm.ca/asuswrt-merlin
Edward
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:10/26/2012 11:22:00 AM # 5
I did do just that and I can't see more than half a gig of a 3 tb drive…

Edward
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:10/26/2012 11:25:00 AM # 6
I have a RT-ac66u router…and a WD 3tb my book essentials drive I cannot see the drive on the router no matter how I format it…any ideas would e helpful Ed

RMerlin
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:10/26/2012 1:03:00 PM # 7

Quote:
Author: Edward Posted: 10/26/2012 11:25:00 AM

I have a RT-ac66u router…and a WD 3tb my book essentials drive I cannot see the drive on the router no matter how I format it…any ideas would e helpful Ed

There are currently issues in using drives that are either 3 TB or using Advanced Sector Format (4KB sectors) with the router. Asus are aware of the issue, no word on when this will be fixed.

Kevin
Level :
Tech Points : 2
Posted:11/30/2012 5:05:00 AM # 8

Quote:
Author: RMerlin Posted: 10/26/2012 1:03:00 PM

Quote:
Author: Edward Posted: 10/26/2012 11:25:00 AM

There are currently issues in using drives that are either 3 TB or using Advanced Sector Format (4KB sectors) with the router. Asus are aware of the issue, no word on when this will be fixed.

I am having the same problem with WD My Passport 1TB Portable External Hard Drive.

Angelboy
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 55
Posted:11/30/2012 6:25:00 AM # 9
As of July 2011, Paragon Software Group provided kernel drivers that allow full read-write on HFS+ journaled volumes.The product is proprietary implementation of HFS+ based on Paragon's proprietary UFSD library. There are both free and paid editions of the driver, and they include an utility for checking and repairing HFS+ volumes. According to the online documentation, neither the free edition nor the paid edition supports kernel more recent than 2.6.38. (2.6.39 was released in May 2011).

I can not find any plans from Asus made to implement HFS+ any time soon.

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.