ASUS Support Home Location : Forum > Wireless > RT-AC66U  
  Forum  
  Topic : [Problem]ASUS RT-AC66U USB HD FTP/SAMBA issues New Topic
Daniel
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 1
Posted:9/7/2012 10:41:00 PM # 1
Hello, after searching for a while and finding almost 0 documentation on the aspects of using this routers FTP/Samba features I've come here.

The two issues I am currently having are as follows:

With FTP:
I am able to connect to FTP, login and all.  When trying to upload a file/folder I get a 500 Permission Denied message and it does not let me upload ANYTHING at all.  I have numerous movies/videos that I would love to put on there but due to this issue I can't even upload.  I have already checked what little permissions ASUS lets me configure and the account I am using is the admin one so every folder/directory should be read/write access.  I have no idea why this is occurring or if it is a known issue that should be fixed shortly.

With SAMBA:
I have a small amount more luck... I can connect via SAMABA on my Mac.  It still will not allow me to transfer files/folders.  When I try and transfer a single file, it tries to upload the file and after about 3 minutes on a 2 GIG file (slow as crap) its only about 1/4 of the way done if that and I get a (-51) error saying there was an "unknown error" and the transfer had to be cancelled.

I am currently on the .164 firmware, although I have tried manually upgrading to the .188 firmware but the router still displays .164 as the firmware it is using.  When I click check for updates it says that I am on the most up-to-date firmware so I'm assuming this is just a bug with the display. 

I have had this router for exactly 1 day and the NAS feature is the exact reason I got it.  I previously had the Linksys E4200 V1 for its NAS capabilities but that didn't work out so well... This appears to be going down the same path.  Any suggestions on what could be causing this?

Reply Reply Quote & Reply Quote & Reply
andymac
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 47
Posted:9/8/2012 4:27:00 PM # 2
Hi Daniel, I too have had issues using FTP on FW version .164 (tried form Mac and Win clients). With my set-up I can't maintain an FTP folder mount for more than a few seconds. I've had more luck on the Samba side though, and have managed to read and write files - movies and music. I've also managed to stream movies from the USB drive too (on a Mac & PC). Have you checked the user & shares set-up - I had problems initially with the settings not saving... On the FW side, you should check out the Asus support website as .220 is now available. This looks to be a major update and now includes AiCloud. I just updated my router this morning, and have yet to play with it properly. However be aware that the update wipes all previous settings from the router (including ISP info). It also needs the router to be hard reset from the switch at the back of the unit. Andy

andymac ------- Check out my Tech Review Blog at www.bananatechreviews.blogspot.co.uk
X_Zavios
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:10/4/2012 5:45:00 PM # 3
I've actually encountered the same issue myself, new firmware was uploaded but router never got round to installing the upgrade. I went to the System Logs to check what was happening and realised that the router was reporting sector errors from my hard drive, (This issue is still outstanding with Asus Tech Support, disk is fine :( ) and that the whole system was being flooded by the msg "kernel: scsi 0:0:0:0: rejecting I/O to dead device". I managed to upgrade my firmware by unplugging the hard drive, restarting the router without the hard drive and repeating the whole firmware upgrade procedure. There are some major issues with the AC66U's mounting mechanism. I'm still waiting for Asus to get back to me on that one....

Knucklez
VIP Member
Level :
Tech Points : 3
Posted:10/5/2012 11:46:00 PM # 4
I use my HDD mostly for torrents for my media network and I too am getting a "You need permission to perform this action." message when trying to delete files in the FTP folder on some files. Started ever since I upgraded to firmware 3.0.0.4.220. ASUS please fix firmware or tell us how to fix it.

Speth
VIP Member
Level :
Posted:8/13/2014 5:50:00 AM # 5
I also have a very similar problem.  I have updated the firmware to version 3.0.0.4.376_1123 and I have setup the permissions for both Samba and FTP to read/write.  When I log in with Samba it works perfectly. I can read and write files with no problem.  But when I log in via FTP I can read the files but cannot write files to the drive. (the icon in the top/left of the folder shows I do not have 'write' permission)  

Previous Topic:: Next Topic
Feedback for our Website ModeratorModerator: New Topic Related FAQ Related FAQ Forum Home Forum Home
Forum Model :
Legal Information | Privacy Policy | Sitemap | Contact Us | ASUS Global
  ©ASUSTeK Computer Inc. All rights reserved.